Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who was at the FA Cup Replay at Blackburn Rovers 16:03 - Dec 19 with 1204 viewscarlisleaway

when Paul Mason scored our winner in extra time. Blackburn were a great team then and if I remember rightly Richard Wright kept us in the game with a series of great saves. Remember getting home in the early hours of the morning , great night.
Who was at the FA Cup Replay at Blackburn Rovers on 16:49 - Dec 19 with 1142 viewspatrickswell

I wasn’t there but I feel it was a very important moment in ITFC’s history as it was the result which started to get the Burley era moving.

I also think it was nice that the majority of the team that we put out that evening was made up of members of the 94/95 squad. It was an affirmation for them that they were good players after the traumas of the previous season and the nervous first half of 95/96.
Who was at the FA Cup Replay at Blackburn Rovers on 17:29 - Dec 19 with 1109 viewsDinnernotTea

Sure was. And to gauge just what a result it was we was in a McDonald's pre game and Blackburn boy around 9 says to his Dad "I think 10-0 tonight." Obviously it was never going to be that but Blackburn were that good with an incredible squad.

The time when you could tell Burley was starting something major here. Days when we would go toe to toe with big boys in the cups not worrying about a pathetic modern attitude of "resting" players.

Up the 90s football.

Beware of The Ipswich Cabbages

Who was at the FA Cup Replay at Blackburn Rovers on 18:23 - Dec 19 with 1075 viewsbackwaywhen

I was there that night , correct about Richard Wright , Shearer and Sutton just couldn’t get past him that night , extra time winner , after the game Sheepshanks came over to us all in the away end to thank us for making the journey, long way home , late and foggy in parts of the journey , a car full all asleep apart from me , then I go and clip a roundabout at about 50 mph , waking and scaring the sh#t out of my mates ..... happy days .
Who was at the FA Cup Replay at Blackburn Rovers on 18:49 - Dec 19 with 1037 viewsBluedanW

I went to both games. I remember it well as I was driving. Parked in the pub over the road from the ground and because our car was at hhe back of their car park we stayed in there after the game. Blackburn fans were fine with the result despite just winning the title the year before. I remember saying "we don't care, we only hate Burnley" I remember thinking how can you hate such a small club. How things have changed. Was that the game shearer scored right on half time. And was dissallowed? I went down for a meat and potato pie when he scored and it was kick off before I realised it didn't count
Who was at the FA Cup Replay at Blackburn Rovers on 19:06 - Dec 19 with 1017 viewsitfc1108

Great performance, but just as importantly, did anybody have a Shearer Pie? I think it's the nicest food I've had at a game.
Proper chicken and baked beans in a shortcrust pastry pie.
Who was at the FA Cup Replay at Blackburn Rovers on 19:24 - Dec 19 with 1006 viewsFacefacts

Yes. Most of the really memorable games at that time e.g. Liverpool away, were in the FA Cup until managers after Jim Magilton started to use the FA Cup as a nothing game, especially Mick McCarthy. The FA Cup has gone now and we'll never get it back. Back then everyone was up for the third round, and excitement increased if we progressed. There were 5,000 of us at Watford in 2007, which was the last time we got to the fifth round.
Who was at the FA Cup Replay at Blackburn Rovers on 21:11 - Dec 19 with 944 viewspatrickswell

Phil Ham’s book on ITFC in the 90s has a nice quote from John Wark, who played right-back(!) that evening. He saw Kenny Dalglish before the game (Dalglish had moved upstairs at the start of the season). Dalglish joked, “If you’re playing tonight, then I might play.”
According to Wark, “By the time we had showered, he’d left the ground and I never got the chance to pull him up on it.”
Who was at the FA Cup Replay at Blackburn Rovers on 14:34 - Dec 20 with 783 viewsBlueBadger

Who was at the FA Cup Replay at Blackburn Rovers on 16:49 - Dec 19 by patrickswell

I wasn’t there but I feel it was a very important moment in ITFC’s history as it was the result which started to get the Burley era moving.

I also think it was nice that the majority of the team that we put out that evening was made up of members of the 94/95 squad. It was an affirmation for them that they were good players after the traumas of the previous season and the nervous first half of 95/96.

A handy reminder here to those who write off the quality of our squad as a reason to excuse Paul Lambert's failures. That squad was by no means bad, by by 'eck did it need some organising, coaching and motivating to get it moving again.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

Who was at the FA Cup Replay at Blackburn Rovers on 16:30 - Dec 20 with 744 views26_Paz

A young Paz was at the home game ... still being at primary school at the time the away replay was past my bed time!

The Paz Man

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024