Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Catching Covid in a hospital environment. 23:04 - Jan 2 with 1891 viewsPinewoodblue

Two friends, in the last 7 days, have been tested positive for Covid-19 while in hospital.

One of them has been in hospital for two months tested positive yesterday, and he had been moved to a private room for his own protection. Week prior to Christmas. He is bring treated for cancer of the spine, paralyzed from waist down after collapsing at home hence bring a long term patient. His cancer went undetected despite frequent contact with Gap Surgery over several months.

It has been suggested that one of easiest places to catch Covid is in hospital. In a private room and having no visitors in the two months he has been in hospitals seems hard to understand how it can happen. He was moved from Peterborough Hospital to Hinchingbrooke as they needed his bed.

Any truth in this extra risk suggestion.

[Post edited 2 Jan 2021 23:05]

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Catching Covid in a hospital environment. on 23:10 - Jan 2 with 1857 viewsBlueBadger

Chances are, that dozens of people will have still been in and out of that room, to clean it, give out meals, provide personal care, perform interventions and examinations, give medicines, transport him to other parts of the building for scans and procedures....

A side room limits YOUR ability to pass it on, nothing more, ultimately.
[Post edited 2 Jan 2021 23:26]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Catching Covid in a hospital environment. on 23:13 - Jan 2 with 1834 viewsStokieBlue

It's not surprising that a structure which probably has the highest concentration of covid positive people indoors is going to be a high vector of transmission.

No safety measures are perfect and every effort is made to minimise the risk but with increased concentration of any pathogen comes increased risk.

Surely it makes one appreciate the people who have had to work in such an environment day in and day out for a year now.

SB
[Post edited 2 Jan 2021 23:14]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Catching Covid in a hospital environment. on 23:50 - Jan 2 with 1734 viewspistonbroke

Catching Covid in a hospital environment. on 23:10 - Jan 2 by BlueBadger

Chances are, that dozens of people will have still been in and out of that room, to clean it, give out meals, provide personal care, perform interventions and examinations, give medicines, transport him to other parts of the building for scans and procedures....

A side room limits YOUR ability to pass it on, nothing more, ultimately.
[Post edited 2 Jan 2021 23:26]

Which is why the nightingales should be used for Covid patients only , yep I know your gonna say it’s staff shortages ,and yep it probably is , why the hell haven’t this incompetent government prepared for this , everyone knew it was coming
Catching Covid in a hospital environment. on 00:11 - Jan 3 with 1697 viewsSeablu

I rent my old house out to two cleaners who work at the local hospital.
My old neighbours have contacted me on x3 occasions since September to complain about them having 10+ visitors for various house parties/ get-togethers
Private rooms in hospitals are never going to protect the sickest unfortunately.
Catching Covid in a hospital environment. on 00:41 - Jan 3 with 1644 viewsSeablu

Catching Covid in a hospital environment. on 23:50 - Jan 2 by pistonbroke

Which is why the nightingales should be used for Covid patients only , yep I know your gonna say it’s staff shortages ,and yep it probably is , why the hell haven’t this incompetent government prepared for this , everyone knew it was coming

You can’t just conjure up qualified medical personnel in 9 months.
Do you have any idea how long doctors and nurses study before they’re let loose on the sick?
The nightingale hospitals had all the medical relevance of an overflow car park.
You choose now to howl at the moon about it?
In footballing terms, it’s the equivalent of giving Lambert x2 Ipswich teams to manage in League 1 and moaning that the B team is doing even worse.
[Post edited 11 Jan 2021 21:10]
Catching Covid in a hospital environment. on 09:08 - Jan 3 with 1367 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I am sure that Cuba will be amenable to a request for help!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Catching Covid in a hospital environment. on 09:51 - Jan 3 with 1299 viewsLeaky

I live near Hinchinbrook Hospital & have heard similar stories. They appear to test patients on arrival however not when they leave. A bit worrying as I have to go to their treatment centre next Sunday.
Catching Covid in a hospital environment. on 10:27 - Jan 3 with 1225 viewsBlueBadger

Nurse training is 3-4 years. Basic medical 7. In addition to that, they've spent the last four years diligently discouraging overseas nurses from joining by stoking xenophobia and proudly proclaiming how they're stopping 'free movement' but also 'cutting red tape'.

Spoiler alert: you can have one, but not the other.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Login to get fewer ads

Catching Covid in a hospital environment. on 11:04 - Jan 3 with 1163 viewsBlueBadger

Catching Covid in a hospital environment. on 09:51 - Jan 3 by Leaky

I live near Hinchinbrook Hospital & have heard similar stories. They appear to test patients on arrival however not when they leave. A bit worrying as I have to go to their treatment centre next Sunday.

On testing on leaving is if someone is going to a care home. Otherwise it's every 3 to 7 days, depending on local policy.

Catching Covid in a hospital environment. on 12:13 - Jan 3 with 1088 viewsPendejo

Today I woke to a message from my oldest offspring that the person, from outside my family, that I have known longest has been suffering bowel cancer, caught covid and spent Christmas in isolation. A frightening situation for him and his family.

He and his family were one of our neighbours when we first moved to Ipswich in 1971, we attended numerous town games together late 70s and early 80s, and he came with us to the FA Cup game at Charlton in 83.

Later he taught my oldest two offspring, and is possibly known to other TWTDers in that capacity.

Have sent him a best wishes message this morning, which I just hope gives some form of boost.

To complete a thoroughly depressing post... My dad rang me on what would have been my mother's birthday to tell me the wife of one of his cousins had passed away. Other than his brother this cousin is the closest family member, he and his family used to regularly visit us in Ipswich and I have attended a few Charlton games, usually against Ipswich, with him.
October 2019 we attended their Golden Wedding anniversary.

I remember how hard my father grieved when my step-mother (his wife of 30 years) passed away, took him 2 years to become himself again, so to lose a wife of over 50 years must really hit hard.

HNY.....

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Catching Covid in a hospital environment. on 12:17 - Jan 3 with 1081 viewsGuthrum

There's a lot we're still learning about the transmission of Covid via objects and surfaces - how long it survives and how easy to pick up. Not to mention the airborne aspect.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Catching Covid in a hospital environment. on 13:43 - Jan 3 with 996 viewsStokieBlue

Catching Covid in a hospital environment. on 12:17 - Jan 3 by Guthrum

There's a lot we're still learning about the transmission of Covid via objects and surfaces - how long it survives and how easy to pick up. Not to mention the airborne aspect.

There is some research to indicates that transmission through surfaces is actually very difficult. However it's certainly sensible to continue maintaining the habits which have been formed over the last year.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanres/article/PIIS2213-2600(20)30514-2/fullt

This is specifically interesting:

"During the initial stages of the pandemic there was concern about surface transmission. However, latest research suggests that this is unlikely to be a major route of transmission as although SARS-CoV-2 can persist for days on inanimate surfaces, attempts to culture the virus from these surfaces were unsuccessful."

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Catching Covid in a hospital environment. on 22:25 - Jan 3 with 761 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Very sorry to hear of your friends.

I know of a 60-year-old nurse who died with Covid recently.

As others have stated, it is no surprise that people catch it in hospital.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024