Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cardiff Fan looking for the lowdown 13:44 - Jan 25 with 9565 viewsipswich_away

Hi everyone,

Hope you're doing well. I occasionally write for Cardiff blogs etc.

To say we are underwhelmed with the appointment of big Mick would be an understatement. However some have been romanced by his direct Yorkshire accent.

Would love to get Town fans thoughts as you guys would know more than anyone:

> What can we expect from him? Hoof and hope?

> Is he really a dinosaur?

> What's his team setup and preferred formation/style of play?

> Is he tactically astute?

> Transfer wise, does he have a 'type'?

> Finally, how long before the Northern charm wears off?

Would love to get your thoughts and off topic, how's Emyr Huws doing? seems to have fallen off the face of the earth after a period out with injury.

All the best!
Cardiff Fan looking for the lowdown on 18:37 - Jan 25 with 605 viewsMattinLondon

Cardiff Fan looking for the lowdown on 17:21 - Jan 25 by BlueBadger

But the football is better now.

That’s irrelevant
Cardiff Fan looking for the lowdown on 18:41 - Jan 25 with 600 viewsbournemouthblue

Cardiff Fan looking for the lowdown on 17:48 - Jan 25 by Herbivore

Lincoln's sqaud has completely changed since the Cowleys left so that's not a great comparison. The difference is they got a manager in who was capable, we got Paul Hurst. A competent manager inheriting the squad Mick left should have had few problems at least keeping us in the Championship. A lot of the rest of what you say just isn't really true.
[Post edited 25 Jan 2021 17:49]

McCarthy didn't leave us in a terrible position by any means, there were positives to build on but sadly Hurst then sold them all

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Cardiff Fan looking for the lowdown on 18:50 - Jan 25 with 582 viewsHerbivore

Cardiff Fan looking for the lowdown on 18:41 - Jan 25 by bournemouthblue

McCarthy didn't leave us in a terrible position by any means, there were positives to build on but sadly Hurst then sold them all

Precisely. The idea that we failed because Mick left us in a mess is miles away from what actually happened. He left a decent squad that Hurst decided to decimate.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Cardiff Fan looking for the lowdown on 18:58 - Jan 25 with 563 viewsWacko

Cardiff Fan looking for the lowdown on 17:48 - Jan 25 by Herbivore

Lincoln's sqaud has completely changed since the Cowleys left so that's not a great comparison. The difference is they got a manager in who was capable, we got Paul Hurst. A competent manager inheriting the squad Mick left should have had few problems at least keeping us in the Championship. A lot of the rest of what you say just isn't really true.
[Post edited 25 Jan 2021 17:49]

It's a perfect comparison, it's a team that breeds success no matter who's playing for them. The Cowleys set that in motion. See also Brentford - they have a system, their managers get poached, they promote from within, they keep progressing. It doesn't all fall apart when an important cog leaves.

McCarthy makes a club all about him, and while it's successful or at least sustainable in the short term, it isn't in the long term. Hurst isn't in essence a terrible manager, he was just terrible at following McCarthy and his comfortable cronyism.

So, having backed up my arguments many times and received none to counter them, I've come to the conclusion that it is in fact you who isn't being truthful

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

Cardiff Fan looking for the lowdown on 19:11 - Jan 25 with 547 viewsHerbivore

Cardiff Fan looking for the lowdown on 18:58 - Jan 25 by Wacko

It's a perfect comparison, it's a team that breeds success no matter who's playing for them. The Cowleys set that in motion. See also Brentford - they have a system, their managers get poached, they promote from within, they keep progressing. It doesn't all fall apart when an important cog leaves.

McCarthy makes a club all about him, and while it's successful or at least sustainable in the short term, it isn't in the long term. Hurst isn't in essence a terrible manager, he was just terrible at following McCarthy and his comfortable cronyism.

So, having backed up my arguments many times and received none to counter them, I've come to the conclusion that it is in fact you who isn't being truthful

Ha! Righto.

Cardiff Fan looking for the lowdown on 19:21 - Jan 25 with 528 viewsWacko

Cardiff Fan looking for the lowdown on 19:11 - Jan 25 by Herbivore

Ha! Righto.

The Sweet Sound of an Argument Loser

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

Cardiff Fan looking for the lowdown on 19:25 - Jan 25 with 526 viewsTrequartista

You won't get relegated or go up.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Cardiff Fan looking for the lowdown on 19:38 - Jan 25 with 492 viewsRadlett_blue

McCarthy isn't a strict long ball merchant, but the football won't be too intricate.
Mick doesn't like wing backs, but also doesn't seem to like conventional wingers who don't protect their full back.
Mick loves to match up the opposition's formation so that the game will remain tight for as long as possible until one side nicks one from a breakaway or set piece.
Mick likes experienced, "proper blokes", but he does have a good eye for an unloved bargain player (usually British - Mick doesn't do European fancy dans).
His bluff Yorkshire "honest Mick" persona will probably grate after too many 1-1 draws.
Emyr Huws looked an excellent player at first, but then spent the best part of 2 seasons injured & now seems a shadow of the player he used to be. Will be available on a free in the summer.
[Post edited 25 Jan 2021 22:01]

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Login to get fewer ads

Cardiff Fan looking for the lowdown on 19:46 - Jan 25 with 484 viewsHerbivore

Cardiff Fan looking for the lowdown on 19:21 - Jan 25 by Wacko

The Sweet Sound of an Argument Loser

No, just not wasting my time on someone who clearly takes after their username or is about 12 years old.

Cardiff Fan looking for the lowdown on 19:51 - Jan 25 with 474 viewslondontractorboy57

Cardiff Fan looking for the lowdown on 13:56 - Jan 25 by Wacko

> What can we expect from him? Hoof and hope?

15th position.

> Is he really a dinosaur?

Yes. Of the Triassic period.

> What's his team setup and preferred formation/style of play?

He likes a big target man. Under McCarthy was the first time I remember not enjoying a game we won. In theory 442 with fast wingers but I think that was his Wolves legend preceding him

> Is he tactically astute?

He made us difficult to beat, if that's the same thing

> Transfer wise, does he have a 'type'?

He's definitely astute in the transfer market, I'll give him that. Can unearth some (very) lower league gems and always looked to bring in a flair player from the Prem (Ryan Fraser or Bersant Celina for example). Other than that he loves a workhorse

> Finally, how long before the Northern charm wears off?

A year or two, when you realise he's not taking you anywhere. Think of it like building a very well-oiled and functional machine that only he can operate. Once he goes, anyone else who tries to work it is f*ked

He was the best manager in the last 10 years who worked miracles with no money and endless list of long term injuries still the numbskulls knew better and look where its got us.
Cardiff Fan looking for the lowdown on 19:55 - Jan 25 with 466 viewsWarkystache

I can't say I enjoyed the endgame under Mick much, but the bits before it were exciting if a little one-dimensional.

He seems to attract good players who perform extremely well for him and then move elsewhere and do f***all (Waggy, Lawrence who haven't enjoyed life as much at Derby, Celina on loan before he didn't get picked at Swansea, Murph and his £4 million Newcastle move where he was a lesser bit part than the Coronation Street cat). He spots the occasional gem (Tyrone Mings, Kieffer Moore, Emyr when he first came on loan) , but just when you fancy a really good passing game with the team running off the ball and chances aplenty, you get a stolid, doughy 0-0 away at Barnsley, which he later claims 'were a reet good point that'.

He'll play to his strengths and expect his teams to adapt. This is good if: a) you don't have any strengths in the first place or b) you're scrapping for results at the a*se-end of the league. He'll mould the team in his image. Expect a powerhouse up front, a midfield who spend so long looking at the ball going over their heads from the defence, they need neck braces and four 'Wanted Dead or Alive' types at the back.

He'll get you going, but he'll find it difficult to change once he does if it all starts getting a bit dull.

Poll: If we were guaranteed promotion next season, how would you celebrate?
Blog: [Blog] It's Time the Club Pushed On

Cardiff Fan looking for the lowdown on 20:08 - Jan 25 with 444 viewsBlueBadger

Cardiff Fan looking for the lowdown on 14:52 - Jan 25 by BlueBadger

Ae you still routinely downvoting people calling for Lambert to get the sack, speaking of managers playing bad football?

That's a yes then?

Lambert out.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024