Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This pension fund business 19:06 - Feb 26 with 4189 viewsBlueNomad

I am told by a banker relative that US pension funds are put into low risk, guaranteed income investments. He doubts they would go near Man City let alone us. There really seems to be something in this takeover talk but not everything about it should be taken as gospel
This pension fund business on 09:35 - Feb 27 with 528 viewslowhouseblue

This pension fund business on 23:35 - Feb 26 by El_Fenix

The largest pension fund in the US is CalPERS - the California Public Employees Retirement System.

The most recently published value of CalPERS' assets is $ 441.20 BILLION. (This is not a misprint).

https://www.calpers.ca.gov/page/investments

CalPERS cannot meet its future liabilities by investing in 30 year treasury bonds that currently pay only 2.19%. As a result, it is investing large sums in a wide range of non-traditional assets.

there's 'non-traditional' and then there's investing in a third tier foreign football club. there's an allocation to higher risk alternative assets and then there's taking a wild punt that a struggling football club gets promoted. i don't believe this sort of risk would be taken on by any pension fund as a single project. it would be like them betting on a horse. lending to a consortium who can mitigate the risk to the pension fund in various ways may be different, but a pension fund wanting to carry the risk themselves seems very unlikely.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

This pension fund business on 09:38 - Feb 27 with 512 viewschicoazul

This pension fund business on 09:35 - Feb 27 by lowhouseblue

there's 'non-traditional' and then there's investing in a third tier foreign football club. there's an allocation to higher risk alternative assets and then there's taking a wild punt that a struggling football club gets promoted. i don't believe this sort of risk would be taken on by any pension fund as a single project. it would be like them betting on a horse. lending to a consortium who can mitigate the risk to the pension fund in various ways may be different, but a pension fund wanting to carry the risk themselves seems very unlikely.

The amount of money they’d be putting into us will be tiny compared to their reserves. Perfectly reasonable to invest in something like Ipswich as part of a diversified portfolio.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

This pension fund business on 09:44 - Feb 27 with 491 viewslowhouseblue

This pension fund business on 09:38 - Feb 27 by chicoazul

The amount of money they’d be putting into us will be tiny compared to their reserves. Perfectly reasonable to invest in something like Ipswich as part of a diversified portfolio.

no sorry, don't believe it. yes they're big and the 1% they put to venture capital is still a big sum. but within that they still diversify - a fund approach, or a fund of funds approach, in which their exposure to very high risk investments is spread and shared would be typical. how would a pension fund have the expertise to assess the risk associated with a single third tier football club investment in the uk. there's diversification and then there's random.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

This pension fund business on 09:46 - Feb 27 with 487 viewschicoazul

This pension fund business on 09:44 - Feb 27 by lowhouseblue

no sorry, don't believe it. yes they're big and the 1% they put to venture capital is still a big sum. but within that they still diversify - a fund approach, or a fund of funds approach, in which their exposure to very high risk investments is spread and shared would be typical. how would a pension fund have the expertise to assess the risk associated with a single third tier football club investment in the uk. there's diversification and then there's random.

We’ll see.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

This pension fund business on 10:05 - Feb 27 with 459 viewsbluefunk

This pension fund business on 09:44 - Feb 27 by lowhouseblue

Why this concern about a pension fund “owning“ ITFC? Pension funds are long term investors, not some vulture fund looking for their pound of flesh - they look to match long term liabilities with the assets they hold. In this case they will likely hold something like a Corporate Bond, over a significant period, with a fixed rate of return, not on ITFC but on the Company who will own them. As we have no significant assets like our own ground, then it’s likely that this won’t even be a secured asset and indeed may be part of a larger investment with the Company who seem to have a number of projects ongoing,

It appears to me that the purchase is based on returns possible from improving revenue streams, links with their other clubs and running ITFC properly, the latter something for which most fans have been crying out. Compared to Marcus and his control freak, death by a thousand cuts approach, something more on tune with the way football works now seems an attractive proposition
This pension fund business on 10:08 - Feb 27 with 454 viewsKeno

This pension fund business on 10:05 - Feb 27 by bluefunk

Why this concern about a pension fund “owning“ ITFC? Pension funds are long term investors, not some vulture fund looking for their pound of flesh - they look to match long term liabilities with the assets they hold. In this case they will likely hold something like a Corporate Bond, over a significant period, with a fixed rate of return, not on ITFC but on the Company who will own them. As we have no significant assets like our own ground, then it’s likely that this won’t even be a secured asset and indeed may be part of a larger investment with the Company who seem to have a number of projects ongoing,

It appears to me that the purchase is based on returns possible from improving revenue streams, links with their other clubs and running ITFC properly, the latter something for which most fans have been crying out. Compared to Marcus and his control freak, death by a thousand cuts approach, something more on tune with the way football works now seems an attractive proposition

Been saying much the same in a few other threads

I dint get why this an issue, if anything its a long term stable investor

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

This pension fund business on 10:10 - Feb 27 with 454 viewslowhouseblue

This pension fund business on 10:05 - Feb 27 by bluefunk

exactly, as i've posted on other threads, a commercial loan to the consortium secured on the consortium's other assets is the sort of thing a pension could well do. but a pension fund being a partner and accepting the risk associated with turning round a third tier uk club seems implausible to me.

This pension fund business on 10:18 - Feb 27 with 438 viewsbluefunk

This pension fund business on 10:08 - Feb 27 by Keno

Been saying much the same in a few other threads

I dint get why this an issue, if anything its a long term stable investor

I don’t think I’ve ever read such misinformed nonsense as some are posting (this isn’t aimed at lowhouse btw).
Login to get fewer ads

This pension fund business on 10:20 - Feb 27 with 432 viewsitfcjoe

This pension fund business on 23:35 - Feb 26 by El_Fenix

The largest pension fund in the US is CalPERS - the California Public Employees Retirement System.

The most recently published value of CalPERS' assets is $ 441.20 BILLION. (This is not a misprint).

https://www.calpers.ca.gov/page/investments

CalPERS cannot meet its future liabilities by investing in 30 year treasury bonds that currently pay only 2.19%. As a result, it is investing large sums in a wide range of non-traditional assets.

Can you send me a Phoenix Rising shirt over, I want to go all in....!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

This pension fund business on 10:23 - Feb 27 with 426 viewsRadlett_blue

This pension fund business on 19:17 - Feb 26 by southnorfolkblue

Yeah that makes no sense. Pension fund managers are all about investing in businesses that are secure and provide decent dividends.... everything that a League 1 Football Club isn’t !

Most pension funds prefer income producing assets that help them meet their liabilities. Teachers Pension Fund of the US took control of the Walkers' Stadium when Leicester went into admin, but that was an asset that would generate steady income as long as there was a team to play in it. Given the difficulty of finding income producing assets these days, some pension funds adopt a bar bell approach, splitting their investments between steady & speculative assets & Town would come into the latter category. As Town don't own their ground, we shouldn't be in for a situation like Coventry City, who ended up in the clutches of hedge fund SISU, who effectively separated the ground from the club.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

This pension fund business on 12:49 - Feb 27 with 394 viewsWeWereZombies

This pension fund business on 08:29 - Feb 27 by solemio

I love this post. I hardly understand a word of the first three paragraphs!

Neither did I when I copied it from the synopsis of 'The Big Short'.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024