Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
First Goal - So Important 14:23 - Feb 28 with 764 viewsDennyx4

You hear a lot of commentators state that the first goal of a game is so important, and our results bear this out.

I did a quick bit of analysis on what our League results have been depending on whether we score the first goal or not.

We have scored the first goal in 15 of our League games this season so far, and have won 12, drawn 1 & lost 2 (The two defeats away to Doncaster & Peterborough). 80% win rate by scoring the first goal.

We have let in first in 11 league games, we have lost 8, drawn 1 and only won 2 (Plymouth Away & Shrewsbury Home) 18% win rate when we let in first. 72% lose rate when conceding the first goal.

Three games have ended 0-0.
First Goal - So Important on 14:26 - Feb 28 with 718 viewsjayessess

In general, yes. In our case, it's probably magnified by us statistically being very good defensively and quite poor offensively.

I imagine the divisions high scorers aren't quite so hopeless after going one down.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

First Goal - So Important on 14:33 - Feb 28 with 696 viewsNthsuffolkblue

First Goal - So Important on 14:26 - Feb 28 by jayessess

In general, yes. In our case, it's probably magnified by us statistically being very good defensively and quite poor offensively.

I imagine the divisions high scorers aren't quite so hopeless after going one down.

Another stat to support the OP is Norwich have scored first 21 times this season. They have won 19 of those and drawn the other 2.

For us, the statistic is based around our matches not generally involving many goals. For them, this stat is based around coming strong towards the end of games anyway.

Clearly the first goal in any match is going to help a lot but the tactical abilities of a manager to adjust to going behind and manage out a game while ahead will help as well.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

First Goal - So Important on 14:33 - Feb 28 with 693 viewsDennyx4

First Goal - So Important on 14:26 - Feb 28 by jayessess

The poor offensively is the key part = only averaging just over a goal a game.
First Goal - So Important on 18:43 - Feb 28 with 607 viewsTexacoCup

A statistic I heard a while ago is 70% of teams who score first, do not lose
First Goal - So Important on 21:00 - Feb 28 with 555 viewsPhilTWTD

"We have let in first in 11 league games, we have lost 8, drawn 1 and only won 2 (Plymouth Away & Shrewsbury Home) 18% win rate when we let in first. 72% lose rate when conceding the first goal."

Bearing in mind the freakish nature of both the Plymouth and Shrewsbury wins, that's probably poorer than it looks.
First Goal - So Important on 08:35 - Mar 1 with 490 viewsDennyx4

First Goal - So Important on 21:00 - Feb 28 by PhilTWTD

"We have let in first in 11 league games, we have lost 8, drawn 1 and only won 2 (Plymouth Away & Shrewsbury Home) 18% win rate when we let in first. 72% lose rate when conceding the first goal."

Bearing in mind the freakish nature of both the Plymouth and Shrewsbury wins, that's probably poorer than it looks.

Agree, the fact that we have only got one draw after letting the first goal in, is a big concern.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024