Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is Water an Object? 12:43 - Mar 5 with 632 viewsKropotkin123

Is Water an Object?

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Is Water an Object? on 12:44 - Mar 5 with 623 viewsKropotkin123

I was going to ask this in the floating boat thread, but thought it better to make a poll.

I looked it up when writing a question, and it seems to create fair amount of disagreement.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Is Water an Object? on 13:17 - Mar 5 with 587 viewsWeWereZombies

I have voted yes but it is worth pointing out that I have the Wikipedia page for Vladimir Solovyov open, for entirely different and unTWTD reasons, and so have probably been influenced by his idea of noetic comprehension.
[Post edited 5 Mar 2021 13:17]

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Is Water an Object? on 13:24 - Mar 5 with 575 viewsNthQldITFC

You can stop the poll.

I refer you to the following Taskmaster episode, 'A Wind-Dried Puffin', at 11m45s where Lord Captain Sir Bob Mortimer addresses this very issue.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/taskmaster/on-demand/71674-005

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Is Water an Object? on 13:34 - Mar 5 with 559 viewsGuthrum

I voted no, on the grounds that water is a substance, not an object.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Is Water an Object? on 13:42 - Mar 5 with 545 viewsEdwardStone

A friend of mine used to Object to water

He was a very smelly Hippie
Is Water an Object? on 13:46 - Mar 5 with 538 viewsWeWereZombies

Is Water an Object? on 13:34 - Mar 5 by Guthrum

I voted no, on the grounds that water is a substance, not an object.

Substances can be objects, I would argue that they almost always are; i.e. 'Look at that shiny object over there, what is it?'...'That, dear boy, is a one kilogram twenty four carat ingot of a substance called gold. One of eight hundred put aside as the consideration demanded by Marcus Evans for Ipswich Town Football Club.'...'And did the consortium object?'

Is Water an Object? on 14:21 - Mar 5 with 510 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Not of that sentence, no.

But if you had said ""I swim in the water". Is "the water" the object?"" Then the answer would be "Yes".
Is Water an Object? on 14:27 - Mar 5 with 502 viewsGuthrum

Is Water an Object? on 13:46 - Mar 5 by WeWereZombies

Substances can be objects, I would argue that they almost always are; i.e. 'Look at that shiny object over there, what is it?'...'That, dear boy, is a one kilogram twenty four carat ingot of a substance called gold. One of eight hundred put aside as the consideration demanded by Marcus Evans for Ipswich Town Football Club.'...'And did the consortium object?'

Ah, but the ingot is the object and the gold the substance from which it is formed. As in "Our best striker (object) appears to be made of glass (substance)".

Login to get fewer ads

Is Water an Object? on 14:34 - Mar 5 with 497 viewsWeWereZombies

Is Water an Object? on 14:27 - Mar 5 by Guthrum

Ah, but the ingot is the object and the gold the substance from which it is formed. As in "Our best striker (object) appears to be made of glass (substance)".

By extension then, molecules are an object and atoms are the substance (as molecules are formed from atoms). So water, being a molecule made up of the atoms of that oxygen substance and that hydrogen substance, is an object?

Is Water an Object? on 17:27 - Mar 5 with 452 viewsGuthrum

Is Water an Object? on 14:34 - Mar 5 by WeWereZombies

By extension then, molecules are an object and atoms are the substance (as molecules are formed from atoms). So water, being a molecule made up of the atoms of that oxygen substance and that hydrogen substance, is an object?

As long as you are talking about "atoms" or "molecules" in a general sense, they are substances. So substances can be made of other substances - but that does not make the composite substance an object.

To turn it into an object, you have to individualise and delimit it. "Water" encompasses all water in the universe, it is a substance. But "a jug of water" becomes just that specific portion of all the water in the universe - an object.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024