Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why don't we try and shoot and thoughts on last night 09:49 - Mar 10 with 1176 viewsitfcpaul

It seems to have been like this for a while, but we never, or very rarely, take an opportunity to shoot from outside or the edge of the box, like they scored their goal from last night, not sure if it's a confidence thing or lack of ability?

Dozzell had a chance similar to their goal but instead of shooting took the ball wide again with a pass, just wish someone had it in them

On last night performance, Lincoln were defensively very good but we didn't really penetrate much did we? thought Lankester went missing, yes it's his fist game in again but thought he might have taken the opportunity by the scruff of the neck. Edwards started well then faded. Bennetts came on, passed backwards, shuffled his feet then passed back as usual.

Dozzell was his usual self, gives not a lot going forward and takes the ball and then passes it back, I think I could do that!! Yes I am exaggerating, but we need more going forward from him

Toto, Wilson and Downes were the stand out players from last night and have to give a shout out to Kenlock, who again, looks so much better than Ward in every respect, guess Ward like a load of others will be out next season, whatever division we are in

We have a great opportunity to get in the playoffs if we can put some form of run together, but top 2 is likely well out of our grasp currently, playoffs are a lottery so who knows..

There are going to be loads of changes come the summer whatever happens

Get behind PC, you jus never know, it's nice to have someone who takes to the press 9and fans) openly and honestly..
[Post edited 10 Mar 2021 10:03]

Poll: Who would you want as Ipswich manager in November. there aren't many candidates

Why don't we try and shoot and thoughts on last night on 10:15 - Mar 10 with 1111 viewsGuthrum

Possibly it comes down to the obsessive possession thing. If you take chance shots, there is a likelihood the opposition will clear or gain a goal kick. so you keep hold of the ball and try to walk it into the net. Which more often than not gets thwarted.

But you and others are right. If we start taking pot-shots, there is some chance of scoring, rather than just losing the ball and getting caught on the break anyway.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Why don't we try and shoot and thoughts on last night on 10:16 - Mar 10 with 1100 viewsjayessess

Why don't we try and shoot and thoughts on last night on 10:15 - Mar 10 by Guthrum

Possibly it comes down to the obsessive possession thing. If you take chance shots, there is a likelihood the opposition will clear or gain a goal kick. so you keep hold of the ball and try to walk it into the net. Which more often than not gets thwarted.

But you and others are right. If we start taking pot-shots, there is some chance of scoring, rather than just losing the ball and getting caught on the break anyway.

"If in doubt, have a crack" would at least dispel some of our indecisiveness around the box.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Why don't we try and shoot and thoughts on last night on 10:26 - Mar 10 with 1087 viewsitfcpaul

Why don't we try and shoot and thoughts on last night on 10:16 - Mar 10 by jayessess

"If in doubt, have a crack" would at least dispel some of our indecisiveness around the box.

We just seem to want to walk it into the net, but we aren't good enough for that, especially with the conversion rate of our "main" striker, Norwood

Just shoot, surely shooting and missing is better than endless passing and then losing it? At least it might look like some attacking intent

Would like to see Matheson come in on Saturday and put Chambers back in at CH alongside Wilson, gives us that extra security that Toto doesn't give us, although he has been playing well, but also gives us the over-lapping runs that Matheson will make that Chambers doesn't for fear of not being able to get back

I would certainly give Jackson a go in the 1 position, especially with Norwood missing Tuesday due to his court case

Poll: Who would you want as Ipswich manager in November. there aren't many candidates

Why don't we try and shoot and thoughts on last night on 10:31 - Mar 10 with 1073 viewsSparky85

Why don't we try and shoot and thoughts on last night on 10:16 - Mar 10 by jayessess

Completely agree with this. Dozzell and Bishop both had a couple of moments when I thought, just hit it!

Hopefully things like this will come. You can already see some changes that have come in since PC took over. Set pieces are much better (Dozzell corners were dangerous) and wingers have clearly been told to get their heads down, take on the man and cross it. The end product wasn't quite there, but I for one preferred the intent, especially from Edwards last night.

Hopefully we will start to see more and more of the PC blueprint over the coming weeks.
Why don't we try and shoot and thoughts on last night on 10:36 - Mar 10 with 1054 viewsitfcpaul

Why don't we try and shoot and thoughts on last night on 10:31 - Mar 10 by Sparky85

Completely agree with this. Dozzell and Bishop both had a couple of moments when I thought, just hit it!

Hopefully things like this will come. You can already see some changes that have come in since PC took over. Set pieces are much better (Dozzell corners were dangerous) and wingers have clearly been told to get their heads down, take on the man and cross it. The end product wasn't quite there, but I for one preferred the intent, especially from Edwards last night.

Hopefully we will start to see more and more of the PC blueprint over the coming weeks.

What amazes me with Dozzell is why until PC came along was he not capable of putting the b all into the right places? Also why is he still not capable of passing a ball in a straight line to a player in the same shirt............

Why don't we try and shoot and thoughts on last night on 10:38 - Mar 10 with 1043 viewsWeekender

Why don't we try and shoot and thoughts on last night on 10:26 - Mar 10 by itfcpaul

We just seem to want to walk it into the net, but we aren't good enough for that, especially with the conversion rate of our "main" striker, Norwood

Just shoot, surely shooting and missing is better than endless passing and then losing it? At least it might look like some attacking intent

Would like to see Matheson come in on Saturday and put Chambers back in at CH alongside Wilson, gives us that extra security that Toto doesn't give us, although he has been playing well, but also gives us the over-lapping runs that Matheson will make that Chambers doesn't for fear of not being able to get back

I would certainly give Jackson a go in the 1 position, especially with Norwood missing Tuesday due to his court case

Thing is if you look at the stats shooting from distance doesn't often result in a goal.

Poll: What's your HONEST opinion of nodge fans?
Blog: [Blog] The Curse of the Modern Football Fan.

Why don't we try and shoot and thoughts on last night on 10:44 - Mar 10 with 1030 viewsjayessess

Why don't we try and shoot and thoughts on last night on 10:38 - Mar 10 by Weekender

Thing is if you look at the stats shooting from distance doesn't often result in a goal.

Crossing is even worse statistically, but we still look to do that 10-20 times a game...

Why don't we try and shoot and thoughts on last night on 10:51 - Mar 10 with 1017 viewsitfcpaul

Why don't we try and shoot and thoughts on last night on 10:38 - Mar 10 by Weekender

Well you certainly won't if you don't try!!!
Look at last night, 1 shot, one goal 100%%

Login to get fewer ads

Why don't we try and shoot and thoughts on last night on 10:53 - Mar 10 with 1011 viewsMetal_Hacker

No it doesn't but it gets the ball in the mix and if the keeper spills it, it bounces of a defender , goes for a corner etc etc

If it's nowhere near the goal we're never going to core

Poll: If it were one or the other

Why don't we try and shoot and thoughts on last night on 13:53 - Mar 10 with 879 viewsBramidan

Why don't we try and shoot and thoughts on last night on 10:53 - Mar 10 by Metal_Hacker

No it doesn't but it gets the ball in the mix and if the keeper spills it, it bounces of a defender , goes for a corner etc etc

If it's nowhere near the goal we're never going to core

So shooting doesn't result in a goal and neither does crossing? So I know I have no coaching qualifications but how do you score a goal then? Off your backside?
Why don't we try and shoot and thoughts on last night on 14:39 - Mar 10 with 841 viewsjayessess

Why don't we try and shoot and thoughts on last night on 13:53 - Mar 10 by Bramidan

So shooting doesn't result in a goal and neither does crossing? So I know I have no coaching qualifications but how do you score a goal then? Off your backside?

From this bit of analysis ( https://statsbomb.com/2014/02/mythbusting-is-long-range-shooting-a-bad-option/), if you're weighing up your options from in front of the penalty area, having a crack is one of the better ones.

Together with playing a central through ball, it's statistically the joint best option. If you're a bad attacking side, it's the best option:

[Post edited 10 Mar 2021 14:41]

Why don't we try and shoot and thoughts on last night on 15:49 - Mar 10 with 788 viewsMetal_Hacker

Why don't we try and shoot and thoughts on last night on 13:53 - Mar 10 by Bramidan

Shooting from distance doesn't guarantee a goal of course not .Shooting for the sake of it doesn't make sense either because it just turns over possession

That said I still think we should be trying to create more opportunities to shoot from outside the box due to the reasons stated in my earlier post. If we don't cross , shoot ,get the ball into the box it's never going to happen quite obviously

Perhaps you didn't understand my point or I didn't make myself clear enough

I'm all for shooting more outside the box if it opens up other opportunities from THAT shot

Poll: If it were one or the other

Why don't we try and shoot and thoughts on last night on 16:11 - Mar 10 with 761 viewstextbackup

mental how the opinions in this game differ, i thought Downes was really slow, and barely did anything to drive us on.
and toto, well, I don't know what you saw that I didn't. they let him have the ball because they were so confident he'd do nothing with it, and the one time he had pressure on him he nearly gave a goal away.

probably won a few headers, but that's not stand out for me

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024