Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Playing out from the back 10:03 - Mar 22 with 2588 viewseastwell_blue

It's a bit like Brexit.
No-one seems to know what the benefits are. Defenders are being told to make it work while we can all see it isn't. Meanwhile losses are mounting up.
Playing out from the back on 22:27 - Mar 22 with 557 viewsbraveblue

Playing out from the back on 21:28 - Mar 22 by BlueBadger

You'd think that someone calling themselves 'brave blue' could handle some light bantz.

Just thought it was a poor response. And I voted to remain. But I know lots of people who didn’t and they are nothing like your simplistic assumptions.
Playing out from the back on 23:12 - Mar 22 with 539 viewsrickw

Playing out from the back on 11:26 - Mar 22 by Scuzzer

It demonstrably has no benefits at all. Nine times out of ten it only gets lobbed forward in the end in any case.
It came from the change in the rule regarding goal kicks, the allowing of defenders in the penalty area. Note that this change was first introduced in the women's game.
It was only brought in to pander to the likes of Man City whose boring possession based football would benefit from it.
As a schoolboy the first thing they taught you as a defender was to not pass the ball along in front of your own goal...i wonder why that was? It is a monstrosity.

Yes lets go back to Mick's style of play and just launch it for Freddie Sears or maybe now Kayden Jackson to out jump their 6"4 centre backs and knock it down, then repeat for 90 mins.....

Trying to be better is just ridiculous :-(

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Playing out from the back on 00:28 - Mar 23 with 526 viewshaynes_toe1

Playing out from the back on 23:12 - Mar 22 by rickw

Yes lets go back to Mick's style of play and just launch it for Freddie Sears or maybe now Kayden Jackson to out jump their 6"4 centre backs and knock it down, then repeat for 90 mins.....

Trying to be better is just ridiculous :-(

Well I mean we'd typically launch it towards Norwood if anyone.

And if you haven't noticed, we've not done anything better since Mick.
Playing out from the back on 19:14 - Mar 23 with 476 viewsBramidan

Playing out from the back on 00:28 - Mar 23 by haynes_toe1

Well I mean we'd typically launch it towards Norwood if anyone.

And if you haven't noticed, we've not done anything better since Mick.

Look back some months ago and I think you'll find I questioned this type of play at that time.
Passing it about with no purpose in your own half, back to the keeper ant the big yahoo, unless we had lost it already.
All the purist, invite the press and pass it around them, brilliant if you have the players.
Never worked when I was manager of the cub football team and do you know it is not working now unless you have world class players. Why do managers just latch onto the latest popular system?
Playing out from the back on 04:43 - Mar 24 with 443 viewsHullblue

Playing out from the back on 19:14 - Mar 23 by Bramidan

Look back some months ago and I think you'll find I questioned this type of play at that time.
Passing it about with no purpose in your own half, back to the keeper ant the big yahoo, unless we had lost it already.
All the purist, invite the press and pass it around them, brilliant if you have the players.
Never worked when I was manager of the cub football team and do you know it is not working now unless you have world class players. Why do managers just latch onto the latest popular system?

Just off the top of my head...

- Southampton when they got their successive promotions a decade ago.

- Swansea when they did the same.

- Barnsley now.

- Brighton now.

All of these clubs are or were punching above their weight playing the style that you dislike so much. It’s easier with world-class players, of course, but it can be done with average players and good coaching.

I think a lot of Town fans are (understandably) very sceptical of this kind of style at the moment because we looked terrible trying to do it earlier in the season. But for me that was because we lacked the right coaching.

It’s clear that if you can get it right it can set you up for sustained success. It’s also the kind of football Cook favours - I hope the fan base gives him the time he needs to make it work.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

Playing out from the back on 09:17 - Mar 24 with 390 viewshaynes_toe1

Playing out from the back on 04:43 - Mar 24 by Hullblue

Just off the top of my head...

- Southampton when they got their successive promotions a decade ago.

- Swansea when they did the same.

- Barnsley now.

- Brighton now.

All of these clubs are or were punching above their weight playing the style that you dislike so much. It’s easier with world-class players, of course, but it can be done with average players and good coaching.

I think a lot of Town fans are (understandably) very sceptical of this kind of style at the moment because we looked terrible trying to do it earlier in the season. But for me that was because we lacked the right coaching.

It’s clear that if you can get it right it can set you up for sustained success. It’s also the kind of football Cook favours - I hope the fan base gives him the time he needs to make it work.

It's possible for sure. I think it's hard in League One and things like pitch quality etc become factors.

Norwich have done it for 4 years now and certainly two years ago it was with a relatively average side on paper. But even they had one year of transition.

I don't think it suits this League, personally.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024