Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Marcus Maddison 22:40 - Apr 12 with 1394 viewsBlueandTruesince82

In light of the general conversations going on around here I thought this interesting.

Social media lets players get closer to fans and makes us feel more involved but at the same time it just acts as window to all your personal self doubt, even if its just a few idiots pinging you each day.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12273765/marcus-maddison-charlton-

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Marcus Maddison on 23:25 - Apr 12 with 1202 viewsMB26

There is a lot unwarranted and quite frankly disturbing abuse that takes place on social media of professional footballers. I think Maddison has received death threats in the past.

The lad clearly certainly isn't everyone's cup of tea as an individual or as a footballer. The problem you will always have on social media is what one person deems to be abuse, another may see it as a joke. You can never police that.

For example, I would mock a footballer who's decided to get 'Magic' tattooed on the side of his head (which Maddison has recently done) and its a bit tw4ttish, especially when you've failed to cut it in the Championship. That's his choice and if he was to prove me wrong then who's the fool then. There no threat or abuse there for me, that's quite standard practice both online or chants/shouts that happen at a game.

I honestly don't know how you police the grey areas. As stated when it's quite frankly disturbing or threatening and consistent abuse then you have grounds to police that but there are a lot of shades of grey that happens before that.
Marcus Maddison on 23:57 - Apr 12 with 1124 viewsRamRob

Marcus Maddison on 23:25 - Apr 12 by MB26

There is a lot unwarranted and quite frankly disturbing abuse that takes place on social media of professional footballers. I think Maddison has received death threats in the past.

The lad clearly certainly isn't everyone's cup of tea as an individual or as a footballer. The problem you will always have on social media is what one person deems to be abuse, another may see it as a joke. You can never police that.

For example, I would mock a footballer who's decided to get 'Magic' tattooed on the side of his head (which Maddison has recently done) and its a bit tw4ttish, especially when you've failed to cut it in the Championship. That's his choice and if he was to prove me wrong then who's the fool then. There no threat or abuse there for me, that's quite standard practice both online or chants/shouts that happen at a game.

I honestly don't know how you police the grey areas. As stated when it's quite frankly disturbing or threatening and consistent abuse then you have grounds to police that but there are a lot of shades of grey that happens before that.

I would question the need to even let him know your feelings about the tattoo on social media. Don't mind it from the stands as it's most likely he won't hear it. Social media is a direct line to the person, why people think they can direct "bantz" at a person they don't know just because they are on Twitter is beyond me.

It may not be abuse but like you say, you don't know how the other person will take it. I'm all for joking around with your mates and I think it's ok if people choose to privately make fun of footballers with like minded individuals. But why would you feel the need to tell it directly to him?

Poll: What should be the music when opposition score?

Marcus Maddison on 01:09 - Apr 13 with 1058 viewspointofblue

That’s two players we know of who have stepped away from the game due to mental health issues recently then. Hope they both get the support they need.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Marcus Maddison on 06:47 - Apr 13 with 912 viewsPendejo

Marcus Maddison on 23:57 - Apr 12 by RamRob

I would question the need to even let him know your feelings about the tattoo on social media. Don't mind it from the stands as it's most likely he won't hear it. Social media is a direct line to the person, why people think they can direct "bantz" at a person they don't know just because they are on Twitter is beyond me.

It may not be abuse but like you say, you don't know how the other person will take it. I'm all for joking around with your mates and I think it's ok if people choose to privately make fun of footballers with like minded individuals. But why would you feel the need to tell it directly to him?

I was going to comment on his look last night, but decided I'd look a dick for mocking him now that it's clear he's having a challenging time with mental health.

But having slept on it, I think that if someone is having that sort of challenge cultivating "the look" that he had surely attracts excessive abuse?

I took one look at his picture and thought of Charles Manson, the words (spoken by Robin Williams) "Helter Skelter" repeating in my mind... Face tattoos and beard

As for shaven head... Travis Bickle

He was, for Peterborough, a good player and would undoubtedly improve our team, but if he has a mental health issue he'd be better off spending social media time on here as the good folks of TWTD seem to be at their best supporting those who have declared their issues.

I hope he resolved his issues and gets back to playing.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024