Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Explain this one to me 19:09 - May 17 with 4482 viewsbluelagos

If a young kid gets one of those electric scooters and rides it on the road and/or pavement - he's liable to a fine.

Yet old people are allowed to do both on a mobility scooter thingy.

Why the inconsistency?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Explain this one to me on 10:32 - May 18 with 290 viewsPinewoodblue

Explain this one to me on 09:55 - May 18 by StokieBlue

You've shifted the context now though.

They aren't limited to 15mph and people don't need licences helmets or insurance for the existing ones that are faster than 15mph.

I would reconsider my stance if robust rules were put in place like those you've cited and they were actually enforced but I just don't think they will be. Perhaps I will be proven wrong.

There are green benefits of course but it's still less green than getting a bike and not as good for the riders health. Given you are saying they should be restricted to cycle lanes should we not be pushing bikes rather than electric transport?

SB

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9095357/E-scooter-rider-31-charged-drin

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Explain this one to me on 10:37 - May 18 with 279 viewsCoastalblue

Explain this one to me on 10:27 - May 18 by bluelagos

What's the issue with the e-bikes?

Honest answer, I don't know. I 'think' it's that they have to be an approved design and have something stating that as well as their power output on them somewhere, but I'm not certain on that. I'll ask next time I collect one from Traffic.

I am talking about ebicycles here incidentally rather than the e type moped/motorbikes.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Explain this one to me on 12:43 - May 18 with 222 viewsstonojnr

Explain this one to me on 10:26 - May 18 by bluelagos

It's only illegal to use because they are not insured. There is no explicit law banning their use. (I have read up on it)

Don't really know why they remain uninsured. Seems like a good alternative revenue stream to me.

So the trials (I read up on the colchester one) the only training is basically e-learning - so clearly not as comprehensive as cbt training needed for a 125 l-plated scooter.

"I am sure they will have a place in future transport, once the rules and regulations are in place but as with everything, the tech always outpaces the rules. " - Yep , let's hope so :-)

no its legal status is nothing to do with insurance, its pure semantics to claim there is no explicit law banning their use.

electric scooters are classified as personal electric light vehicles, or powered transporters, in the UK, that means they are covered by all the existing laws that apply to motor vehicles.

thats why they then must have insurance, because the law says motor vehicles must be insured, taxed, MOT'd yada yada and the user must have a driving license for them to be used on the road, and they are not allowed to be used on pavements/footpaths.

in the areas where trials are taking place, rental escooters are limited to top speeds of 15.5mph, but you must be over 16 to use them and have either a full or provisional license, helmets are recommended but not mandatory.

the motor vehicle rules still apply to privately owned e-scooters in the trial areas, only the rental scooters have been given certain exemptions that allows them to run the trial and insurance is provided by the firm renting you the e-scooter.

in terms of mobility scooters, there are two categories, one is limited to 4mph and isnt allowed on the road, the other is limited to 8mph on the road and is allowed, but must be registered and then there are a bunch of rules about lights,brakes, weight etc it must conform to.

if at any point the mobility scooter exceeds those limits, then guess what it gets classed as a motorised vehicle and all the same motorised vehicle laws tax,mot,license,insurance that prohibit e-scooter use then apply.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024