Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A bit of a feel good story after the horrible scenes in Denmark. 19:18 - Jun 12 with 2499 viewsnoggin

Last summer, we were called to a cardiac arrest of an 82 year old man. The man had collapsed on his boat and that was 20 km away from us. The guy's brother was with him when he collapsed and he had started chest compressions. Thankfully the boat was tied up and not at sea.
When we finally arrived on scene,the local fire truck was already there and the water fairies were doing CPR. As we arrived at the boat, they shocked him with their defib and continued compressions. As I climbed onto the boat, he woke up. He couldn't remember being unwell but he knew where he was and what day it was. The HEMS helicopter landed close by and the patient walked to greet the doctor.
Such an outcome is very rare for someone so old but it goes to show how quick thinking and actions can really save a life. The guy was flown to hospital where he was stented and is now living a completely normal life.
Respect to those who worked on CE because their quick response has more than likely saved his life.

Learn CPR folks. One day you might just be there when someone collapses and imagine the feeling if you save that person's life. There is no better feeling, believe me.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

A bit of a feel good story after the horrible scenes in Denmark. on 22:45 - Jun 13 with 369 viewsfactual_blue

It's great that he's recovered, although sadly for him he'll probably never play professional football again: the Head Cardiologist for the FA said that protocols in England would prevent him playing here. But he's alive and that's all that really matters, and I'm sure he'll realise that.

It brings a couple of other things to mind. A former boss was married to a chap who'd been a biochemist whose PhD had been researching these sudden cardiac arrests in relatively young people. It seems that for some reason there are people whose hearts are - for want of a better word - programmed to only beat x number of times, and this accounts for most cardiac deaths in the under-35s. The trick is to find out why and what (if anything) can be done about it.

The other thing it brings to mind is my own father's death almost half a century ago, dropped dead from a heart attack one morning in early June 1972 at Clapham South underground station. Limited CPR knowledge in those days, no defibrillators outside of hospitals. There was, I gather, a nurse to hand from the nearby Women's Hospital, but to no avail.

If it happened today, things might be so different.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

A bit of a feel good story after the horrible scenes in Denmark. on 22:47 - Jun 13 with 364 viewsfactual_blue

A bit of a feel good story after the horrible scenes in Denmark. on 22:49 - Jun 12 by BlueBadger

Its how emergency service professionals are taught to hand over from one to another. There's no agenda beyond 'we need to communicate information really quick sharpish'.

Personally, I hand people over with something like 'Shirley* is a 63 year old lady from....' but then, I'm mostly not handing people over in immediate crisis, because we've already passed that point and we're in the more distinctly grey area of 'might qualify for ITU at some point, but I might need to do a sales pitch at some point'.

*Not their real name, obviously

If they're handing over somebody who identifies as non-binary, what would be the correct terminology?

(Asking for a friend, obviously).

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

A bit of a feel good story after the horrible scenes in Denmark. on 09:08 - Jun 14 with 303 viewsArnoldMoorhen

This thread made me ask the question:

Is there a map for defibrillators?

I found this:

https://www.heartsafe.org.uk/aed-locations

Which will help us all to find out where defibrillators near our home, workplace or local playing field etc are located.
A bit of a feel good story after the horrible scenes in Denmark. on 09:23 - Jun 14 with 292 viewsnoggin

A bit of a feel good story after the horrible scenes in Denmark. on 12:21 - Jun 13 by Ryorry

"A bit"? The course I did was 15-20 years ago, and I think I've forgotten *everything*! Can't even remember correct side for recovery position - is it the left?

There is no correct side Ryorry, the recovery position is simply to prevent vomit, blood etc from being aspirated. It will also stop the tongue from blocking the airway.

Edit, it's recommended that pregnant women lie on their left side but in an emergency situation, this would not be of huge concern.
[Post edited 14 Jun 2021 9:25]

A bit of a feel good story after the horrible scenes in Denmark. on 09:43 - Jun 14 with 273 viewsnoggin

A bit of a feel good story after the horrible scenes in Denmark. on 12:03 - Jun 13 by Ryorry

Are you still in Norway? Have a vague recollection you were contemplating returning to the UK.

Yes, still in Norway. No plans to return to the UK. Sadly, I hate the political direction the UK (England) is heading and have now become an Irish citizen. I was lucky enough to have been born in Northern Ireland and so entitled to an Irish passport.

My plan is to retire in 5 years and move to warmer climates for a simple, stress free life.
[Post edited 14 Jun 2021 9:53]

A bit of a feel good story after the horrible scenes in Denmark. on 15:36 - Jun 14 with 203 viewsRyorry

A bit of a feel good story after the horrible scenes in Denmark. on 09:23 - Jun 14 by noggin

There is no correct side Ryorry, the recovery position is simply to prevent vomit, blood etc from being aspirated. It will also stop the tongue from blocking the airway.

Edit, it's recommended that pregnant women lie on their left side but in an emergency situation, this would not be of huge concern.
[Post edited 14 Jun 2021 9:25]

Cheers, that's reassuring as I'd probably have forgotten again if it'd been one side only!

Ref your second reply - yep, totally agree re the appalling direction the country's been going in. You're lucky to have an alternative option. Hope you find a good retiremnt spot.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024