Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gareth Southgate - club manager? 11:20 - Jul 2 with 762 viewsParsley

I've been really impressed by Southgate over the past few months and that got me thinking where do people see him managing in the future and how successful could he be as a club manager?

I don't think he's a tactical genius but has clearly identified a system that he thinks will be successful in tournament football and has had the courage in his convictions to select players that fit well into that system, perhaps surprisingly leaving out some of the attacking talent that he has at his disposal. He's a pragmatic manager and I don't think is necessarily fixed on one style of play so could adapt to different tactics if required for league football.

He's built a really positive culture within the England camp, where in the past there has been cliques and rivalries between players from different clubs. He seems to be a good man manager and role model, disciplining players where required but not freezing anyone out. International managers probably get more time to develop this culture as they often have at least a couple of years in the job between tournaments, would he get the same time at a club to develop a squad?

The reputation of a manager at international level is ultimately dependent on results at tournaments, his stock will be a lot higher if he wins something with England. I have a feeling though that the top teams in the Premier League might still overlook him, leaving him potentially looking at the next tier of clubs looking to break into the top (the likes of West Ham, Leicester, Everton). Perhaps he is more suited to being an international manager, would he be interested in managing another country? Something I don't think many English managers have done - Roy Hodgson is the only one I can think of.

Anyway, interested to get others thoughts on this. Hopefully he is successful with England and stays there a long time.
Gareth Southgate - club manager? on 11:24 - Jul 2 with 715 viewsColchesterBlue1985

I think he is one of those that suits being an international manager far more than a club manager.
Gareth Southgate - club manager? on 11:33 - Jul 2 with 670 viewswkj

In a weird way, I think that Southgate having [limited] experience with Club management is a boon. Sometimes I also wonder what international footie would be like if international players did not play for a club while they are in the national squad - a little like cricket?
[Post edited 2 Jul 2021 11:36]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Gareth Southgate - club manager? on 11:33 - Jul 2 with 668 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Regardless of the result on Saturday, he is safe in his current job. Personally I hope he stays, and I would wonder why he would not want to go on to the World Cup campaign with a group of players who are of the right age and who clearly have bought into his system and culture.

He's arguably England's third most successful manager of the professional era already. If he wins the next three games he overtakes Sir Bobby. Of course if it wasn't for Maradona cheating Sir Bobby might have had an even better record.
Gareth Southgate - club manager? on 11:33 - Jul 2 with 662 viewshype313

Gareth Southgate - club manager? on 11:33 - Jul 2 by wkj

In a weird way, I think that Southgate having [limited] experience with Club management is a boon. Sometimes I also wonder what international footie would be like if international players did not play for a club while they are in the national squad - a little like cricket?
[Post edited 2 Jul 2021 11:36]

Eh? He was the Boro manager for 3 years.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Gareth Southgate - club manager? on 11:35 - Jul 2 with 649 viewswkj

Gareth Southgate - club manager? on 11:33 - Jul 2 by hype313

Eh? He was the Boro manager for 3 years.

Maybe limited then, though the gap of 3 years between club and U21 management is significant as he hasn't been churning around from job to job.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Gareth Southgate - club manager? on 11:53 - Jul 2 with 580 viewsChrisd

Gareth Southgate - club manager? on 11:24 - Jul 2 by ColchesterBlue1985

I think he is one of those that suits being an international manager far more than a club manager.

My thoughts too. His club record isn't overly impressive, but he appears better suited to international management.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Gareth Southgate - club manager? on 11:58 - Jul 2 with 559 viewsColchesterBlue1985

Gareth Southgate - club manager? on 11:53 - Jul 2 by Chrisd

My thoughts too. His club record isn't overly impressive, but he appears better suited to international management.

Think his persona is too mundane to work with players day in day out where as clearly has something about the ability required to coach internationally.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024