Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Portsmouth used eight trialists in behind closed doors game at QPR 09:46 - Jul 8 with 1157 viewsPinewoodblue

No indication who they were but apparently mainly midfield or forwards.

No names bring circulated. So much transfer/ signing activity still to for for League 1 clubs.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Portsmouth used eight trialists in behind closed doors game at QPR on 09:52 - Jul 8 with 1100 viewsjayessess

Presumably not mainly prospective first team recruits? Unless their financial situation is worse than they're letting on, I don't imagine they'd be hoping to sign the kind of player who'd agree to a trial.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Portsmouth used eight trialists in behind closed doors game at QPR on 09:54 - Jul 8 with 1059 viewsPinewoodblue

Portsmouth used eight trialists in behind closed doors game at QPR on 09:52 - Jul 8 by jayessess

Presumably not mainly prospective first team recruits? Unless their financial situation is worse than they're letting on, I don't imagine they'd be hoping to sign the kind of player who'd agree to a trial.

They are very short on players.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Portsmouth used eight trialists in behind closed doors game at QPR on 09:54 - Jul 8 with 1062 viewstractorboy1978

Portsmouth used eight trialists in behind closed doors game at QPR on 09:52 - Jul 8 by jayessess

Was about to say similar but equally I think there will be a lot of players surprised by their lack of offers this summer given the current market.
Portsmouth used eight trialists in behind closed doors game at QPR on 10:09 - Jul 8 with 978 viewstivo

30th June has gone. Players are now free agents, if they want to train at top facilities they will happily be going on trial. Not quite sure you understand the free transfer market if you think good players dont go on trial.
Portsmouth used eight trialists in behind closed doors game at QPR on 10:09 - Jul 8 with 971 viewsxrayspecs

Portsmouth used eight trialists in behind closed doors game at QPR on 09:54 - Jul 8 by tractorboy1978

Was about to say similar but equally I think there will be a lot of players surprised by their lack of offers this summer given the current market.

Taking to a Brizzle supporting mate. Steve Lansdowne has been openly saying that players and agents have not really understood how little money there is in football outside the Premier League and that the contracts on offer at BCFC are way below what they would have been offering two years ago.

A good time to have a little bit of cash behind us. It may also make the Championship less of a step up if we get promoted.
Portsmouth used eight trialists in behind closed doors game at QPR on 10:12 - Jul 8 with 942 viewsjayessess

Portsmouth used eight trialists in behind closed doors game at QPR on 10:09 - Jul 8 by tivo

30th June has gone. Players are now free agents, if they want to train at top facilities they will happily be going on trial. Not quite sure you understand the free transfer market if you think good players dont go on trial.

As far as I know it's comparatively rare for experienced professionals who've been playing regularly to do a trial?

Of our recent free transfers for the first team who did we trial first? Wilson is the only one I can recall.

Portsmouth used eight trialists in behind closed doors game at QPR on 10:25 - Jul 8 with 871 viewsxrayspecs

Portsmouth used eight trialists in behind closed doors game at QPR on 10:12 - Jul 8 by jayessess

As far as I know it's comparatively rare for experienced professionals who've been playing regularly to do a trial?

Of our recent free transfers for the first team who did we trial first? Wilson is the only one I can recall.

Pretty sure Stephen Ward came in on trial first.

You are right that the majority of signings are not on trial first. However, there are lots of players chasing new contracts, so clubs can pick and choose.

As you go down the leagues, trials are a regular source of new players.
Portsmouth used eight trialists in behind closed doors game at QPR on 10:31 - Jul 8 with 787 viewstractorboy1978

Portsmouth used eight trialists in behind closed doors game at QPR on 10:09 - Jul 8 by xrayspecs

Taking to a Brizzle supporting mate. Steve Lansdowne has been openly saying that players and agents have not really understood how little money there is in football outside the Premier League and that the contracts on offer at BCFC are way below what they would have been offering two years ago.

A good time to have a little bit of cash behind us. It may also make the Championship less of a step up if we get promoted.

There's definitely several players I can think of that I'm surprised don't have a club yet. It all seems a bit tentative at the moment with players, agents and clubs all not really sure what market rate is.
Login to get fewer ads

Portsmouth used eight trialists in behind closed doors game at QPR on 10:36 - Jul 8 with 747 viewsjayessess

Portsmouth used eight trialists in behind closed doors game at QPR on 10:25 - Jul 8 by xrayspecs

You are right that the majority of signings are not on trial first. However, there are lots of players chasing new contracts, so clubs can pick and choose.

Oh yeah, had forgotten Ward. In his case, presumably it was because he was 35 and had been injured in the 6 months prior to signing for us?

I guess I'm just saying that trials are about testing players who haven't played enough recent football at a good standard to make a judgement - because of injuries, because they're playing at a much lower level (non-league, Ireland perhaps), because they've been released elsewhere without making an appearance. It seems unlikely that Portsmouth would recruit most of their playing squad from that pool, unless they were in deep trouble.

Portsmouth used eight trialists in behind closed doors game at QPR on 10:42 - Jul 8 with 706 viewsBondiBlue

Portsmouth used eight trialists in behind closed doors game at QPR on 10:25 - Jul 8 by xrayspecs

Mcgoldrick was on trial at sheff utd before signing.

Poll: Which would you accept?

Portsmouth used eight trialists in behind closed doors game at QPR on 11:16 - Jul 8 with 554 viewsBlueNomad

Portsmouth used eight trialists in behind closed doors game at QPR on 10:42 - Jul 8 by BondiBlue

Mcgoldrick was on trial at sheff utd before signing.

Maybe he was checking to see if they met his standards.............................
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024