Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Joe Royles jacket 14:50 - Aug 21 with 905 viewsStockholmBlue

I met my wife 22 years ago while skiing in Chamonix. She is english and I am swedish. Her family are from west London and my brother in law favours Chelsea. Parts of her family also have Norwich blood in their veines (but that is something we don't talk about for obvious reasons). They found it hard to understand how I could be an Ipswich fan, when I had the chance to pick any team in the world to follow.
I tried to explain about Bobby Robson, the fantastic players and the amazing football we played in the eighties. I have also explained that I liked our blue and white strip, I liked Pioneer (and my first stereo was a Pioneer solely because they sponsored my team). On top of that the swedish commentators found it very hard to pronounce IPSWICH the right way which I found hilarious. Most of my mates fancied Liverpool and I wanted to be different. All this for death ears - they still don't fully understand it.
One day my brother in law was on the underground in London and saw a chap with a jacket with an Ipswich badge on and got interested. He went up to him and asked where one could purchase those jackets. The guy replied that you couldn't - this was a special jacket because it uesed to belong to Joe Royle - the former Ipswich manager. My brother in law couldn´t believe his ears and insisted on bying the jacket from this chap. To this day he refuses to say how much he payed for it - but it was my christmas present in 2007 or 2008 (cant remember which year), and either someone on here pulled of a great deal from my brother in law or it actually was Joe Royles jacket. Regardless of what is the truth - I am now sitting by the computer following todays game online with the jacket on and hoping wearing it could be the turning point for our season ahead. COYB!

Ipswich Town FC since 1981

Joe Royles jacket on 14:52 - Aug 21 with 867 viewsCoastalblue

That's a great story, probably more than one actually. Let's hope you feel snug and smug in Joe's jacket at the final whistle.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Joe Royles jacket on 14:58 - Aug 21 with 810 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Fantastic. Great story.

Here's hoping we all enjoy this afternoon and the rest of the season too.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Joe Royles jacket on 15:00 - Aug 21 with 802 viewsJeanManuelThetis

Brilliant story.

Have we had any other Swedish players other than Jonas Axeldal?
Joe Royles jacket on 15:03 - Aug 21 with 787 viewsStockholmBlue

Joe Royles jacket on 15:00 - Aug 21 by JeanManuelThetis

Brilliant story.

Thank you. Yes we had Niklas Gudmundsson for a brief loan as well - but that is many years ago now.

Joe Royles jacket on 15:05 - Aug 21 with 779 viewsStockholmBlue

Joe Royles jacket on 15:00 - Aug 21 by JeanManuelThetis

Brilliant story.

But my love for Ipswich had nothing to do with Swedish players (even if I think it is nice when it happens) - it was purely Bobby Robsons and his team

Joe Royles jacket on 15:16 - Aug 21 with 723 viewsSharkey

Joe Royles jacket on 15:03 - Aug 21 by StockholmBlue

Thank you. Yes we had Niklas Gudmundsson for a brief loan as well - but that is many years ago now.

I remember Gudmundsson changed the spelling of his name, - either from one 's' to two, or vice versa. No idea why he'd do that.
Joe Royles jacket on 15:20 - Aug 21 with 711 viewsSwailsey

Joe Royles jacket on 15:03 - Aug 21 by StockholmBlue

As I child I was obsessed with him because that season was the first one that I ‘got’ football.

I remember his goal and mad celebration after scoring the play-off goal. Loved it.

Great story too!

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Joe Royles jacket on 15:30 - Aug 21 with 666 viewsTrumptonBlue

Nice story, Stockholm. Gudmundsson did really well for us, I'd have liked us to sign him permanently.
Login to get fewer ads

Joe Royles jacket on 15:32 - Aug 21 with 656 viewsStockholmBlue

Joe Royles jacket on 15:20 - Aug 21 by Swailsey

As I child I was obsessed with him because that season was the first one that I ‘got’ football.

I remember his goal and mad celebration after scoring the play-off goal. Loved it.

Great story too!

His son, Gabriel, now playes for a club in Holland I believe

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024