Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I don’t think this is about gelling 17:13 - Aug 28 with 1062 viewsVic

We’ve had enough time, we’ve played well and we’ve scored goals. But we simply unable to defend. GK errors, poor marking, feee headers - nothing to do with gelling.

Plus tactics and subs - Cook hasn’t got this right since he came, many, many games ago. It’s beginning to look more and more like he’s really missing Richardson.

I really hope I’m wrong, but .....!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

I don’t think this is about gelling on 17:16 - Aug 28 with 1014 viewsHighgateBlue

I've been saying it since day one, often met with downvotes. Cook binned our player of the year and made the defence far worse. We are letting in twice as many goals as last year. That is an embarrassing statistic.
I don’t think this is about gelling on 17:24 - Aug 28 with 959 viewsTrequartista

It’s about defending. Cook never seems that interested in talking about defending or studying the opposition. Have we got another Paul Jewell on our hands you have to wonder.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

I don’t think this is about gelling on 17:38 - Aug 28 with 880 viewsFrankfurtBlue

I don’t think this is about gelling on 17:24 - Aug 28 by Trequartista

It’s about defending. Cook never seems that interested in talking about defending or studying the opposition. Have we got another Paul Jewell on our hands you have to wonder.

10 goals against in 5 games says clearly that defensively we are not good enough. It is not as if we have played against good attackers that have torn into us. Most of those goals have been handed to the opposition.

Does make you wonder, who is now responsible for defensive coaching, organising and preparing the defensive side before games. As an ex-defender, was Richardson that man with Cook previously?
I don’t think this is about gelling on 17:39 - Aug 28 with 870 viewsVic

I don’t think this is about gelling on 17:24 - Aug 28 by Trequartista

Possibly, but his track record is very good so I’d be surprised if this is the case.

I’m beginning to think he’s missing Richardson. Something is definitely not right - end of last season and begging of this and still not getting wins.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

I don’t think this is about gelling on 17:52 - Aug 28 with 799 viewsTrequartista

I don’t think this is about gelling on 17:39 - Aug 28 by Vic

Possibly, but his track record is very good so I’d be surprised if this is the case.

I’m beginning to think he’s missing Richardson. Something is definitely not right - end of last season and begging of this and still not getting wins.

His track record is good but Jewell, Keane and Lambert all had promotions under their belts. At some point they start finding it more difficult.

I don’t think this is about gelling on 17:53 - Aug 28 with 785 viewspointofblue

I don’t think this is about gelling on 17:52 - Aug 28 by Trequartista

His track record is good but Jewell, Keane and Lambert all had promotions under their belts. At some point they start finding it more difficult.

Jewell and Lambert had had disasters after leaving Bradford and Norwich respectively so the warning signs were there. Keane's hardly departed Sunderland on a high either.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

I don’t think this is about gelling on 17:57 - Aug 28 with 744 viewsTrequartista

I don’t think this is about gelling on 17:53 - Aug 28 by pointofblue

Jewell and Lambert had had disasters after leaving Bradford and Norwich respectively so the warning signs were there. Keane's hardly departed Sunderland on a high either.

Yes, it could be that Cook’s failures start with us. But we’re not at that point quite yet.

I don’t think this is about gelling on 17:59 - Aug 28 with 716 viewsbilllm

I don’t think this is about gelling on 17:57 - Aug 28 by Trequartista

Yes, it could be that Cook’s failures start with us. But we’re not at that point quite yet.

Like keanes start can't buy a win
Login to get fewer ads

I don’t think this is about gelling on 18:15 - Aug 28 with 648 viewsTrequartista

I don’t think this is about gelling on 17:59 - Aug 28 by billlm

Like keanes start can't buy a win

It does have that feeling doesn't it, where the side looks more than capable on paper, but it's not working on the pitch, the difference being with Keane that the problem was not scoring goals rather than conceding too many.

I don’t think this is about gelling on 18:19 - Aug 28 with 632 viewspointofblue

I don’t think this is about gelling on 18:15 - Aug 28 by Trequartista

It does have that feeling doesn't it, where the side looks more than capable on paper, but it's not working on the pitch, the difference being with Keane that the problem was not scoring goals rather than conceding too many.

I have to disagree there in relation to the start of the season!

2 at Coventry
3 v Crystal Palace
2 at West Brom
1 v Preston
3 at Middlesbrough
1 v Forest
3 at Doncaster
4 v Newcastle
3 at Sheffield United
2 at Barnsley

We kept one clean sheet in our first eleven games, 0-0 v Leicester. Admittedly we did tighten up after then and scoring became the key issue.

I don’t think this is about gelling on 18:25 - Aug 28 with 578 viewsTrequartista

I don’t think this is about gelling on 18:19 - Aug 28 by pointofblue

I have to disagree there in relation to the start of the season!

2 at Coventry
3 v Crystal Palace
2 at West Brom
1 v Preston
3 at Middlesbrough
1 v Forest
3 at Doncaster
4 v Newcastle
3 at Sheffield United
2 at Barnsley

We kept one clean sheet in our first eleven games, 0-0 v Leicester. Admittedly we did tighten up after then and scoring became the key issue.

You're absolutely right and i have got that wrong. I was thinking back to those games leading up to the first win against Derby and had forgotten what came before.

So it's actually even more like the start of that Keane season, but without the comprehensive defeats.

I don’t think this is about gelling on 18:29 - Aug 28 with 537 viewspointofblue

I don’t think this is about gelling on 18:25 - Aug 28 by Trequartista

You're absolutely right and i have got that wrong. I was thinking back to those games leading up to the first win against Derby and had forgotten what came before.

So it's actually even more like the start of that Keane season, but without the comprehensive defeats.

And the scoring, to be fair - we drew 3-3 against Doncaster and Sheffield United but otherwise didn't score more than once in a game until we beat Cardiff in November.

I don’t think this is about gelling on 18:37 - Aug 28 with 468 viewsChrisd

Spot on Vic. The opposition only have to look at our goal and we concede. He needs to make us much tougher to score against both with the defensive players and collectively as a team. Our players should enjoy keeping a clean sheet and they need to take responsibility themselves. If they aren’t picking up their players from set prices like the first goal today, that’s on them. PC’s best signing this transfer window could be employing a defence coach to join his staff. I still want to believe in PC as offensively we look so much better than we have in previous seasons, but he does really need to address the defensive side ASAP.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

I don’t think this is about gelling on 18:38 - Aug 28 with 459 viewsistanblue

Said this ages ago.

Look at the stats and look at the history. We're averaging 3-4 shots on target a game and performances are nowhere near as good as people have been saying (''flashes of brilliance'' or ''fits and starts'' don't matter much in a 90 minute game). Also look at Lincoln last season when they built an entirely new squad from scratch, they came flying out the blocks winning their first 4 league games and a couple of cup games too. There are no excuses for this kind of abysmal start.
I don’t think this is about gelling on 18:39 - Aug 28 with 456 viewspointofblue

I don’t think this is about gelling on 18:37 - Aug 28 by Chrisd

Spot on Vic. The opposition only have to look at our goal and we concede. He needs to make us much tougher to score against both with the defensive players and collectively as a team. Our players should enjoy keeping a clean sheet and they need to take responsibility themselves. If they aren’t picking up their players from set prices like the first goal today, that’s on them. PC’s best signing this transfer window could be employing a defence coach to join his staff. I still want to believe in PC as offensively we look so much better than we have in previous seasons, but he does really need to address the defensive side ASAP.

Perhaps we should throw everything at McGreal with the promise he gets first go if we decide to sack Cook.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024