Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashton learning from Bristol mistakes? 22:46 - Sep 1 with 2650 viewshunty21

So according to many bristol city fans the main criticisms of MA were: poor communication, recruitment terrible buying places aged 29 and above so poor sell on value, replaced accredited staff with his own mate, and over controlling all departments.

Yes it is early days but it would seem some of these lessons have been learnt , certainly the players we have are of good age and would sell for a profit if wanted to leave his communication appears to be good , the biggest test could be if he has to emply another manager will he get it right?
Ashton learning from Bristol mistakes? on 05:36 - Sep 2 with 2211 viewsArnieM

So he didn’t recruit who their manager ordered him to recruit then ?

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Ashton learning from Bristol mistakes? on 09:22 - Sep 2 with 1866 viewsvanmunt

To be honest, that is a bit wrong. City made a lot of money moving players on for good money under Ashton, one example straight off the bat was Webster.
Ashton learning from Bristol mistakes? on 09:32 - Sep 2 with 1797 viewsWallingford_Boy

Who actually cares?!

Its obviously classic bitter fan comments, like when a decent player leaves a club.

I'll only judge him on what he does here and so far.... its faultless.

RIP Sir Bobby

Ashton learning from Bristol mistakes? on 09:37 - Sep 2 with 1770 viewsWD19

Its all about pressure. At the moment he is free to do his job how he likes with support from all sides. build a grand plan and execute against it with most things in his control. He is clearly very competent so all is well.

The real test comes if/when there are people that start to disagree with how he is doing things or when things outside of his direct control go awry. At Watford he fell out with all of the local press. One of the flip-sides of individuals with so much drive and conviction is that they sometimes don't react well when people simply refuse to agree with them. That is where O'Leary is very important in all this I think.
Ashton learning from Bristol mistakes? on 09:44 - Sep 2 with 1737 viewshammo56

It would appear that Watford fans weren’t that impressed with Ashton as well.
No doubt in a couple of seasons time we will have a better idea of who was right in their assessment of his performance.

Ashton learning from Bristol mistakes? on 09:14 - Sep 3 with 1356 viewsHighgateBlue

I don't think Ashton tells Cook which players he wants to recruit. I don't think Ashton says to Cook that he bought certain players for Bristol City who were too old and that this time they should do things differently.

I think Ashton has been tasked with trying to tie up a large number of deals, and he appears to have succeeded very well in that. In terms of the quality of our squad on paper, we could not reasonably have hoped for anything better than has been achieved, and Ashton deserves some of the credit for that.

What we don't know of course is (a) how many targets we missed out on, and (b) how much money we've thrown at the squad. As to the latter, there are a lot of guesses being made about how much we've spent on players, but we simply can't know, either in terms of transfer fees or wages. The Salary Costs Management Protocol appears to me to be largely illusory given that owners can seemingly pump in as much money as they like and call it turnover, under the SCMP.
Ashton learning from Bristol mistakes? on 09:23 - Sep 3 with 1302 viewsChrisd

It's early days and we can only judge him on what he's done for us so far, we can't really comment of other sides as we don't know the full facts or details. Nevertheless, you can't argue with what he's done during this transfer window, that has been mightily impressive - he's made a very positive start to life at ITFC and speaks so well. Lets hope this is the beginning of a new dawn that brings success for the club because quite frankly we need it.
[Post edited 3 Sep 2021 9:25]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Ashton learning from Bristol mistakes? on 10:13 - Sep 3 with 1150 viewsElephantintheRoom

I admire your confidence that palyers can be sold for a profit - undisclosed presumably.

Ashton actually seems to be repeating every one of his tricks of the trade - surround yourself with 'a team', sign players without due process from a very small 'contacts book', ingratiate with the gullible and gamble recklessly short term.

Quite why any of this should work any better than it did with the same crew in Bristol is a mute point. I'd say the omens at Ipswich are somewhat worse than when he freeloaded his way through his time at City in that this is a long-planned money-grabbing opportunity, using people with no knowledge of UK football - but a great deal of interest in making money, not losing it.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Login to get fewer ads

Ashton learning from Bristol mistakes? on 10:30 - Sep 3 with 1084 viewsBeckets

Ashton learning from Bristol mistakes? on 10:13 - Sep 3 by ElephantintheRoom

I admire your confidence that palyers can be sold for a profit - undisclosed presumably.

Ashton actually seems to be repeating every one of his tricks of the trade - surround yourself with 'a team', sign players without due process from a very small 'contacts book', ingratiate with the gullible and gamble recklessly short term.

Quite why any of this should work any better than it did with the same crew in Bristol is a mute point. I'd say the omens at Ipswich are somewhat worse than when he freeloaded his way through his time at City in that this is a long-planned money-grabbing opportunity, using people with no knowledge of UK football - but a great deal of interest in making money, not losing it.

You might spell it ‘mute’ in Norwich but we spell it ‘moot’ in Ipswich.
Ashton learning from Bristol mistakes? on 10:42 - Sep 3 with 1045 viewsWhataday78

Chances are he has a completely different remit under us, not sure of the setup at BC but certainly seems early days that he's heavily involved with the negotiations only.

Of course I could be way off the mark here but it seems like the recruitment has been driven by Cook.

I have to say, I have read all of the negative comments on the BC forum and seems like they are very bitter, perhaps even have a sense of entitlement for no reason at all. In my opinion so far I am happy with now MA has handled things, an improvement 10 fold on what he have had previously in his position or similar positions.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024