Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wild Wild Country 08:42 - Oct 7 with 2810 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

On the Netflix. Has anyone else watched it?

It was added a year or so ago so not a newly added documentary, but it was the first time I’d heard of the story and the people involved.

I know there are a few on here that live in the USA and may have been in that area or followed the news in the 80s as it seemed to get quite widespread coverage.

It was genuinely interesting as it was covering a perceived ‘cult’ that set up a city of Rajneeshpuram in the wilderness in Oregon and the obvious clashes with local communities and ‘Christian values’ etc.
It felt a bit shallow in terms of depth at times given the huge numbers of people involved it didn’t seem to spend a lot of time on day to day life but having done a bit of reading up since was intrigued if anyone had seen or experienced the Rajneesh
Wild Wild Country on 11:06 - Oct 7 with 1997 viewsBluespeed225

Absolute nut fest, especially the mouthy front woman. Those poor residents. They built their own airport!
Wild Wild Country on 11:33 - Oct 7 with 1970 viewsghostofescobar

Easily one of the best things I’ve seen on Netflix. So crazy that unless actual footage existed, it would be difficult to believe.

GhostOfEscobar

Wild Wild Country on 12:38 - Oct 7 with 1922 viewsmonytowbray

Wild Wild Country on 11:06 - Oct 7 by Bluespeed225

Absolute nut fest, especially the mouthy front woman. Those poor residents. They built their own airport!

How did you conclude that? Did you watch the same thing?

The locals were utter f**ks who through fear of satanic panic and “christian values” started escalating tensions.

There’s an underlying theme of society’s attitudes to outsiders/foreigners/etc, and if you missed it I’m afraid you may be a part of the problem.
[Post edited 7 Oct 2021 12:39]

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Wild Wild Country on 14:08 - Oct 7 with 1875 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Wild Wild Country on 12:38 - Oct 7 by monytowbray

The locals were utter f**ks who through fear of satanic panic and “christian values” started escalating tensions.

There’s an underlying theme of society’s attitudes to outsiders/foreigners/etc, and if you missed it I’m afraid you may be a part of the problem.

I found myself having a huge amount of sympathy for the Rajneesh people and even Sheela given the constant efforts to remove them. After all they bought the land and houses all legally with no undercutting or bullying. In fact the bullying seems to come from the media as well as federal and government office as the fear of ‘someone different’ coming into “their” country, when a lot of them were Americans anyway.

The fact they used every possible tactic in trying to prosecute Bagwhan in what was a minor offence that very rarely anyone gets convicted of just shows how undeniably scared they were of his ‘different’ view on the world, when it seemed that the Rajneeshee people were not really causing any issues other than to the NIMBY brigade who didn’t like anyone different to them

That said, I think the documentary probably doesn’t capture every aspect, but from watching I had a certain amount of empathy with the Rajneesh people
Wild Wild Country on 14:35 - Oct 7 with 1853 viewsDarth_Koont

Wild Wild Country on 14:08 - Oct 7 by King_of_Portman_Rd

I found myself having a huge amount of sympathy for the Rajneesh people and even Sheela given the constant efforts to remove them. After all they bought the land and houses all legally with no undercutting or bullying. In fact the bullying seems to come from the media as well as federal and government office as the fear of ‘someone different’ coming into “their” country, when a lot of them were Americans anyway.

The fact they used every possible tactic in trying to prosecute Bagwhan in what was a minor offence that very rarely anyone gets convicted of just shows how undeniably scared they were of his ‘different’ view on the world, when it seemed that the Rajneeshee people were not really causing any issues other than to the NIMBY brigade who didn’t like anyone different to them

That said, I think the documentary probably doesn’t capture every aspect, but from watching I had a certain amount of empathy with the Rajneesh people

Indeed. For all the strangeness of the cult, the “normal” world they tried to find their place in showed itself to be just as strange.

Excellent documentary.

Pronouns: He/Him

Wild Wild Country on 14:49 - Oct 7 with 1833 viewsleitrimblue

I have a good friend who spent quite a few years on a commune in rural India with his wife an 3 kids. He doesn't talk about it that much but if you quiz him he as countless stories about it. Seemed to spend most of his time doing yoga an drinking his own urine while the leader spent all his time having sex with the younger more attractive members
Wild Wild Country on 16:06 - Oct 7 with 1798 viewsmonytowbray

Wild Wild Country on 14:35 - Oct 7 by Darth_Koont

Indeed. For all the strangeness of the cult, the “normal” world they tried to find their place in showed itself to be just as strange.

Excellent documentary.

I’m not particularly hot on any power structure community, particularly ones evidently corrupt by money like the case here. I know the documentary was criticised for leaving out some damning rumours/stories about the cult too.

But then again if we’re going by that benchmark all organised religion would be abolished*.

I remember as a teen we had an influx of Polish people in the small village I grew up in for picking veg. It was the first time ever the place had a noticeable foreign presence outside of the stationed MERICANS for the air base. They were largely talked down to, treated like dirt and blamed for everything. So in that regards it’s VERY relatable and real.

*I mean, also yes, let’s abolish all organised religion anyway.
[Post edited 7 Oct 2021 16:08]

TWTD never forgets…

Wild Wild Country on 16:08 - Oct 7 with 1794 viewsmonytowbray

Wild Wild Country on 14:49 - Oct 7 by leitrimblue

I have a good friend who spent quite a few years on a commune in rural India with his wife an 3 kids. He doesn't talk about it that much but if you quiz him he as countless stories about it. Seemed to spend most of his time doing yoga an drinking his own urine while the leader spent all his time having sex with the younger more attractive members

Sounds like religion to me!

TWTD never forgets…

Login to get fewer ads

Wild Wild Country on 17:28 - Oct 7 with 1735 viewsleitrimblue

Wild Wild Country on 16:08 - Oct 7 by monytowbray

Sounds like religion to me!

No, not at all. The leader of this was only having consensual sex with naive but grown adults
Wild Wild Country on 18:49 - Oct 7 with 1692 viewsmonytowbray

Wild Wild Country on 17:28 - Oct 7 by leitrimblue

No, not at all. The leader of this was only having consensual sex with naive but grown adults

Take it you’re not aware of the Catholic church then?

Most cults are the same and most religions started as cults. Many still abuse that power to this day.

What one was your mate in? I am curious as I nerd for this stuff.
[Post edited 7 Oct 2021 18:51]

TWTD never forgets…

Wild Wild Country on 19:00 - Oct 7 with 1662 viewsleitrimblue

Wild Wild Country on 18:49 - Oct 7 by monytowbray

Take it you’re not aware of the Catholic church then?

Most cults are the same and most religions started as cults. Many still abuse that power to this day.

What one was your mate in? I am curious as I nerd for this stuff.
[Post edited 7 Oct 2021 18:51]

Errm, yer, I am aware of the Catholic Church. That's why I was suggesting this was different as the leader of this was having consensual sex with adults rather then the abuse of children carried out by the Catholic Church. Will find out the name for yer. I also find it very interesting an quiz him about regularly. I know there was a lot of yoga and he recently told me he kept a diary of the effects of drinking his own urine.... It ended with some kinda controversy due to the leaders sex exploits and group is now split into 2 , those that belive the allegations and those that don't
Wild Wild Country on 23:40 - Oct 7 with 1572 viewsmonytowbray

Wild Wild Country on 19:00 - Oct 7 by leitrimblue

Errm, yer, I am aware of the Catholic Church. That's why I was suggesting this was different as the leader of this was having consensual sex with adults rather then the abuse of children carried out by the Catholic Church. Will find out the name for yer. I also find it very interesting an quiz him about regularly. I know there was a lot of yoga and he recently told me he kept a diary of the effects of drinking his own urine.... It ended with some kinda controversy due to the leaders sex exploits and group is now split into 2 , those that belive the allegations and those that don't

Please do!

TWTD never forgets…

Wild Wild Country on 01:05 - Oct 8 with 1554 viewsBbmaj

Yes.

My parents drove a Vw camper an from England to India. Osho gave me my name aged 3.

After India I grew up in a Rajneesh commune in Suffolk (tuddenham manor).

I went to the ranch in Oregon twice and my mum was there at the end when Osho left.

I now lead a “normal” life back in the UK.

Ask Me Anything.
Wild Wild Country on 04:29 - Oct 8 with 1508 viewsmonytowbray

Wild Wild Country on 01:05 - Oct 8 by Bbmaj

Yes.

My parents drove a Vw camper an from England to India. Osho gave me my name aged 3.

After India I grew up in a Rajneesh commune in Suffolk (tuddenham manor).

I went to the ranch in Oregon twice and my mum was there at the end when Osho left.

I now lead a “normal” life back in the UK.

Ask Me Anything.

Oh wow, had no idea they were based so close to my hometown (Lakenheath). What years were these? I was born 87 so maybe a bit before my time?

AMA - How do you largely feel about it all looking back? Was it a good thing/bad thing? Did your parents end up leaving or did it just sorta disbandon?

TWTD never forgets…

Wild Wild Country on 06:09 - Oct 8 with 1488 viewsshady

Yes, I was there (for 6 months) and watched this series a year ago.
Seem to remember it as a fair to good documentary

Hard to express in language, visuals the power of spiritual longing.
Jobs, position and possessions are meaningless.
Less is more.

It’s a lifestyle issue.
I would say spirituality and football are sadly almost mutually incompatible.

To give you an example of this:
Can you believe I missed the 78 cup final as was in India with Rajneesh.
There were just a few of us who would gather around a radio
to listen yearly to cup finals
No, never met another Town fan so slummed it with strange mix of Wolves, Arsenal, Brighton Chelsea, Italians, Portuguese just anyone.
Very few of us were interested in football

To the many, who may have experienced trying to get football results in those days
(only this on game was live)
Dreadful memories recalled, interruptions for shipping forecasts, rugby, weather and news updates
Poor short wave reception…

The main UK Rajneesh commune was also in Suffolk
Wild Wild Country on 06:56 - Oct 8 with 1472 viewssolomon

Unfortunately the problem with cults is that they generally have something to hide. Jim Jones proved this in 1979 with fatal consequences.
Wild Wild Country on 07:13 - Oct 8 with 1463 viewsBluespeed225

if by seeing through these cults and religious organisatons makes me 'part of the problem', then I take comfort in that. Where did the leader end up?
Wild Wild Country on 07:32 - Oct 8 with 1445 viewsBbmaj

Wild Wild Country on 04:29 - Oct 8 by monytowbray

Oh wow, had no idea they were based so close to my hometown (Lakenheath). What years were these? I was born 87 so maybe a bit before my time?

AMA - How do you largely feel about it all looking back? Was it a good thing/bad thing? Did your parents end up leaving or did it just sorta disbandon?

Medina (the Suffolk commune) was from around 1981 to 1985.

My dad spent a little time working as a caretaker at USAF Lakenheath. I remember Dr Pepper and some arcade machines…

We left when the commune closed down - after Osho returned to India, the global structure contracted. We went to London, which was a bit of a culture shock!

I usually refer to my childhood in positive ways, but some of the other children were affected by parental neglect and my views are now more mixed than they used to be.
Wild Wild Country on 07:36 - Oct 8 with 1440 viewsBbmaj

Wild Wild Country on 06:09 - Oct 8 by shady

Yes, I was there (for 6 months) and watched this series a year ago.
Seem to remember it as a fair to good documentary

Hard to express in language, visuals the power of spiritual longing.
Jobs, position and possessions are meaningless.
Less is more.

It’s a lifestyle issue.
I would say spirituality and football are sadly almost mutually incompatible.

To give you an example of this:
Can you believe I missed the 78 cup final as was in India with Rajneesh.
There were just a few of us who would gather around a radio
to listen yearly to cup finals
No, never met another Town fan so slummed it with strange mix of Wolves, Arsenal, Brighton Chelsea, Italians, Portuguese just anyone.
Very few of us were interested in football

To the many, who may have experienced trying to get football results in those days
(only this on game was live)
Dreadful memories recalled, interruptions for shipping forecasts, rugby, weather and news updates
Poor short wave reception…

The main UK Rajneesh commune was also in Suffolk

Beloved Shady, there was plenty of football played at Medina!

But as a whole I agree.

If my grandad hadn’t been a Portman road season ticket holder, I would have been blissfully unaware that ITFC really were the finest football team the world has ever seen.
Wild Wild Country on 07:46 - Oct 8 with 1432 viewsBbmaj

Wild Wild Country on 14:08 - Oct 7 by King_of_Portman_Rd

Wild wild country offered a much more balanced view than I expected - but what you saw and heard is what the producers wanted you to see/hear. I’m glad it engendered empathy and sympathy for some.

At the time, and for a while after, the majority of external views seemed to be quite negative.
What is valid? The full truth remains a mystery to all and each persons own truth will vary.

A lot of messed up things happened, but there was also lots of love and good intention.
Wild Wild Country on 13:25 - Oct 8 with 1364 viewsmonytowbray

Wild Wild Country on 06:56 - Oct 8 by solomon

Unfortunately the problem with cults is that they generally have something to hide. Jim Jones proved this in 1979 with fatal consequences.

Jim Jones’ damage was a drop in the ocean vs the damage mainstream organisation does daily though.

Cults get a bad rep but same energy on smaller scales.

TWTD never forgets…

Wild Wild Country on 13:27 - Oct 8 with 1357 viewsmonytowbray

Wild Wild Country on 07:13 - Oct 8 by Bluespeed225

if by seeing through these cults and religious organisatons makes me 'part of the problem', then I take comfort in that. Where did the leader end up?

No, the problem is you somehow came away thinking the cult were the the problem.

If you felt that, you may be a bit bigoted as it was evident from the filmmaker and narative of the doc the christians were no better.

You’ve swerved the point again speaking in generalisations.
[Post edited 8 Oct 2021 13:33]

TWTD never forgets…

Wild Wild Country on 13:31 - Oct 8 with 1352 viewsmonytowbray

Wild Wild Country on 07:46 - Oct 8 by Bbmaj

Wild wild country offered a much more balanced view than I expected - but what you saw and heard is what the producers wanted you to see/hear. I’m glad it engendered empathy and sympathy for some.

At the time, and for a while after, the majority of external views seemed to be quite negative.
What is valid? The full truth remains a mystery to all and each persons own truth will vary.

A lot of messed up things happened, but there was also lots of love and good intention.

I think with most these things there is usually a sense of community in the bottom tiers. The power tiers tend to have a very different issue on materialism.

But again, as I’ve said a few times here, if people are worried about cults yet giving organised religion a free pass there’s a huge amount of cognitive dissonance in play.

Cults got lobbed into the Satanic Panic and the more tragic ones were used to be made an example of by existing power structures the perceive a threat. Cults aren’t all Jim Jones and Charles Mansion.

TWTD never forgets…

Wild Wild Country on 13:33 - Oct 8 with 1349 viewsmonytowbray

Wild Wild Country on 07:32 - Oct 8 by Bbmaj

Medina (the Suffolk commune) was from around 1981 to 1985.

My dad spent a little time working as a caretaker at USAF Lakenheath. I remember Dr Pepper and some arcade machines…

We left when the commune closed down - after Osho returned to India, the global structure contracted. We went to London, which was a bit of a culture shock!

I usually refer to my childhood in positive ways, but some of the other children were affected by parental neglect and my views are now more mixed than they used to be.

Cheers, well before my time then. Was gonna say my Dad worked over the road from the Mill as a kid but again they’d have been long gone by then.

TWTD never forgets…

Wild Wild Country on 13:59 - Oct 8 with 1317 viewsBbmaj

Wild Wild Country on 13:33 - Oct 8 by monytowbray

Cheers, well before my time then. Was gonna say my Dad worked over the road from the Mill as a kid but again they’d have been long gone by then.

Sorry, I think it was actually Herringswell Manor - but close enough to Tuddenham.

It became a Japanese school for a while, now redeveloped into apartments which look quite swish - but us kids had the run of the entire place, looking back it’s hard to comprehend the freedom and lack of boundaries.

I bet some of the locals still have interesting tales to tell!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024