Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Magic mushrooms and the rise of Christianity 18:17 - Nov 4 with 727 viewsXYZ

Who knew ?

https://ethnographicsblog.wordpress.com/2021/01/02/amanita-muscaria-the-holy-sac
Magic mushrooms and the rise of Christianity on 18:24 - Nov 4 with 696 viewsGuthrum

That's an old, old theory. Promulgated in a famous book in 1970. Not convinced of its plausibility.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sacred_Mushroom_and_the_Cross?wprov=sfla1

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Magic mushrooms and the rise of Christianity on 18:25 - Nov 4 with 691 viewsBlueBadger

There's a certain school of thought amongst etymologists that suggests that the term 'pissed' has its roots in shamanic times when the shaman would eat the whole mushroom and the rest of the tribe would drink his piss(which would be placed into a mead or similar) to experience a considerably less hardcore version of the visions the shaman was experiencing.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Magic mushrooms and the rise of Christianity on 18:28 - Nov 4 with 678 viewsfactual_blue

Magic mushrooms and the rise of Christianity on 18:25 - Nov 4 by BlueBadger

There's a certain school of thought amongst etymologists that suggests that the term 'pissed' has its roots in shamanic times when the shaman would eat the whole mushroom and the rest of the tribe would drink his piss(which would be placed into a mead or similar) to experience a considerably less hardcore version of the visions the shaman was experiencing.

Or, 'A Saturday Night In Glemsford', as the ritual you describe is usually called.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Magic mushrooms and the rise of Christianity on 18:29 - Nov 4 with 673 viewsfactual_blue

Magic mushrooms and the rise of Christianity on 18:24 - Nov 4 by Guthrum

That's an old, old theory. Promulgated in a famous book in 1970. Not convinced of its plausibility.

The writer of the blog is very much a self-appointed anthropologist, with no qualifications in Ancient Hebrew or in exegesis of the Bible.

Magic mushrooms and the rise of Christianity on 18:33 - Nov 4 with 658 viewsXYZ

Magic mushrooms and the rise of Christianity on 18:24 - Nov 4 by Guthrum

I'm a strict amateur in these things
Magic mushrooms and the rise of Christianity on 18:35 - Nov 4 with 651 viewsBlueBadger

Magic mushrooms and the rise of Christianity on 18:28 - Nov 4 by factual_blue

Or, 'A Saturday Night In Glemsford', as the ritual you describe is usually called.

Pffft. Only if you're a part-timer.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Magic mushrooms and the rise of Christianity on 18:40 - Nov 4 with 643 viewsTheReverendSpooner

All true, dear boy, all true.

The Abbot of a rather charming monastery which I used to visit on occasion, would often appear from the woods in a state of great excitement with a basket full of a wide variety of fungi, from Chicken of the Woods to Giant Puffball. I particularly enjoyed his Horn of Plenty, and Blewit.

There veritably is only one Sticky Mockwell, don't you know.

Magic mushrooms and the rise of Christianity on 18:42 - Nov 4 with 640 viewsfooters

Isn't it true that the book of Revelation was written on an island*, or somewhere anyway, with a high number of psychoactive plants which may have led to some of the more bizarre things written in it?

Not sure where I read this before. But I'm sure I wasn't tripping.

*Patmos, apparently
[Post edited 4 Nov 2021 18:43]

footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Login to get fewer ads

Magic mushrooms and the rise of Christianity on 18:47 - Nov 4 with 625 viewsGuthrum

Magic mushrooms and the rise of Christianity on 18:33 - Nov 4 by XYZ

I'm a strict amateur in these things

A lot of it stemmed from the desire of the hippies (including counter-culture academics) to draw together their quasi-spiritual experiences on psychadelic drugs with more traditional religion. The same movement which produced Carlos Casteneda and his supposed (but probably fictional) shamanic encounters with peyote gods.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Magic mushrooms and the rise of Christianity on 20:04 - Nov 4 with 535 viewsfactual_blue

Magic mushrooms and the rise of Christianity on 18:42 - Nov 4 by footers

Isn't it true that the book of Revelation was written on an island*, or somewhere anyway, with a high number of psychoactive plants which may have led to some of the more bizarre things written in it?

Not sure where I read this before. But I'm sure I wasn't tripping.

*Patmos, apparently
[Post edited 4 Nov 2021 18:43]

Yes, that's where I wrote it.

#wibble

Magic mushrooms and the rise of Christianity on 20:05 - Nov 4 with 532 viewswkj

I was trying to figure out the pun on this, and then realised it wasn't an EricClacton post

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Magic mushrooms and the rise of Christianity on 20:16 - Nov 4 with 521 viewsleitrimblue

Magic mushrooms and the rise of Christianity on 18:47 - Nov 4 by Guthrum

A lot of it stemmed from the desire of the hippies (including counter-culture academics) to draw together their quasi-spiritual experiences on psychadelic drugs with more traditional religion. The same movement which produced Carlos Casteneda and his supposed (but probably fictional) shamanic encounters with peyote gods.

It's a little known fact that the builders/early users of early Neolithic monuments like maes howe an Stonehenge etc were very heavy users of hallucinogenics. At least at the time of year these monuments we're in use. Though henbane rather then mushrooms seemed to be their favorite
Magic mushrooms and the rise of Christianity on 20:21 - Nov 4 with 501 viewsfactual_blue

Magic mushrooms and the rise of Christianity on 18:35 - Nov 4 by BlueBadger

Pffft. Only if you're a part-timer.

Do the full-timers indulge in goat-based perversions then?

Reminds of a joke I heard the other day.

'Kinky' is when you use a feather.

'Perverted' is when you use the whole chicken.

Magic mushrooms and the rise of Christianity on 21:08 - Nov 4 with 466 viewsXYZ

Magic mushrooms and the rise of Christianity on 20:05 - Nov 4 by wkj

I was trying to figure out the pun on this, and then realised it wasn't an EricClacton post

Sadly I'm not in his class of punner.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024