Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New study on the longer-term affects of severe covid infections 08:26 - Dec 1 with 771 viewsStokieBlue

"Severe Covid infection doubles chances of dying in following year "

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/01/severe-covid-infection-doubles-cha

It's obviously a correlation so should be looked at with a bit of caution but the correlation seems to be clear enough that they are willing to put it forward.

Also worth nothing that they saw a greater correlation in the under 65's:

"The increased risk of dying was greater for patients under 65, and only 20% of the severe Covid-19 patients who died did so because of typical Covid complications, such as respiratory failure."

“We conducted a previous study that showed that patients with severe Covid-19 who recovered were at significantly greater risk of being hospitalised in the subsequent six months,” said ProfArch Mainous of the University of Florida, the lead author of the study. “This new study extended that to investigate mortality risk over the next 12 months.”

Get the vaccine and boosters people.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

New study on the longer-term affects of severe covid infections on 08:57 - Dec 1 with 706 viewsbluelagos

Having mine this morning. :-)

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

New study on the longer-term affects of severe covid infections on 13:03 - Dec 1 with 598 viewsRyorry

Indeed -

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

New study on the longer-term affects of severe covid infections on 13:07 - Dec 1 with 593 viewslowhouseblue

does severe covid mean people who are on icu? if so, what is the equivalent data for people who end up on icu for other reasons? i assume it must be something that weakens you whatever the original reason for admission?

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

New study on the longer-term affects of severe covid infections on 13:21 - Dec 1 with 558 viewsStokieBlue

New study on the longer-term affects of severe covid infections on 13:07 - Dec 1 by lowhouseblue

does severe covid mean people who are on icu? if so, what is the equivalent data for people who end up on icu for other reasons? i assume it must be something that weakens you whatever the original reason for admission?

It was controlled for I believe:

"Age-specific hazard ratios for all-cause mortality were also determined. Among patients 65 and older, a significantly increased risk of death was observed between patients with severe COVID-19 and no COVID-19. Among patients under 65, a greater significantly increased risk of death between severe COVID-19 and no COVID-19 was observed. The ratio of hazard ratios derived from the interaction between age-grouping and severe COVID-19 was statistically significant (HRR = 1.62; 95% CI: 1.05, 2.51), suggesting that patients under 65 with severe COVID-19 have a higher mortality risk than patients aged 65 and older with severe COVID-19 relative to patients with no COVID-19. No effect between mild/moderate COVID-19 and mortality was observed in either subgroup."

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

New study on the longer-term affects of severe covid infections on 13:26 - Dec 1 with 533 viewsSwansea_Blue

Or a more positive way to look at in in my case: only another 2 weeks to survive and my chance of dying will half (having had covid pretty bad last December).

It's only in the last few weeks I've started feeling 100% again. B@stard disease. Get jabbed, keep your distance, think carefully about unnecessary mixing.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

New study on the longer-term affects of severe covid infections on 13:35 - Dec 1 with 511 viewsBonneNIL

I am no anti-vaxxer, I have had mine but on the flip side, we cannot live with restrictions forever. By all means, vaccinate those willing, look after the most vulnerable but trying to save everyone from death is an impossible task that we will never win at, it will continue to mutate and vaccinations will continue to need to be adapted to new strains much like with existing vaccines. Even those vaccinated can still catch it and die. This is not going to vanish through vaccinations, it's with us and we have to do our best to manage it while not annihilating the economy and tax revenues and thus destroying our public services in the process.

Making vaccination mandatory will just play into the hands of the far-right, some religious groups simply cannot accept it for that reason, some cultures also oppose it, are we going to start lining them up into camps and forcing them to do it?

I personally think the public will walk away from this in 6 or 7 months if its' still ongoing and you'll not be able to convince them anything is working despite the progress made, the feeling is people have had enough and are losing trust fast.

Poll: Best Adidas Home Shirt of the Modern Era

New study on the longer-term affects of severe covid infections on 13:54 - Dec 1 with 473 viewslowhouseblue

New study on the longer-term affects of severe covid infections on 13:21 - Dec 1 by StokieBlue

It was controlled for I believe:

"Age-specific hazard ratios for all-cause mortality were also determined. Among patients 65 and older, a significantly increased risk of death was observed between patients with severe COVID-19 and no COVID-19. Among patients under 65, a greater significantly increased risk of death between severe COVID-19 and no COVID-19 was observed. The ratio of hazard ratios derived from the interaction between age-grouping and severe COVID-19 was statistically significant (HRR = 1.62; 95% CI: 1.05, 2.51), suggesting that patients under 65 with severe COVID-19 have a higher mortality risk than patients aged 65 and older with severe COVID-19 relative to patients with no COVID-19. No effect between mild/moderate COVID-19 and mortality was observed in either subgroup."

SB

thanks - I just couldn't see how they defined 'severe'. if the definition was "admitted to icu" then the comparison should be to those admitted to icu for non-covid reasons, rather than the general population. just interested in the methodology.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024