Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Omicron 20:01 - Dec 11 with 5256 viewsOldsmoker

Here's a blog from a doc I stumbled on a few months ago when I had Covid and wanted some facts and not opinions or government spin. The first vid I saw of his was brutal 'cos his interpretation of the facts had no sugar coating.
This vid is in the same tone but the message about Omicron is encouraging.
I wish this guy was my doctor.
Watch the first 90 seconds and you'll watch the whole thing.
Proper facts delivered concisely and with no fuss.

If you only have 30 secs then watch 4.40 onwards.

[Post edited 11 Dec 2021 20:10]

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Omicron on 09:42 - Dec 12 with 782 viewsgordon

Omicron on 09:34 - Dec 12 by StokieBlue

That would be more accurate as you say.

Omicron has already mutated into the BA.2 variant which is growing but untraceable using the PCR s-gene dropout and we know very little about that variant so as you say, variants are and will arise.

SB

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-03619-8

That's a really good summary of the possible long-run outcomes: the main takeaway should be that experts really don't know the direction things are going to go, so when people with large followings on social media etc. make bold pronouncements (as in the video here), they probably don't know what they're talking about.
Omicron on 09:43 - Dec 12 with 772 viewsGlasgowBlue

Omicron on 09:24 - Dec 12 by gordon

43 cases in young adults with 3/4s of them double vaccinated doesn't provide any evidence that could be used to compare with the pathogenicity of previous waves - it's inevitable that Omicron results in proportionally less hospitalisations and deaths than Alpha and Delta because of greater previous exposure, but it's wrong to say that this means it is more 'mild'. It will take a dataset of thousands of cases and months of research to compare pathogenicity.

Also, in South Africa, the Delta wave was thought to have infected a very high proportion of the population.

The very early data was from South Africa which has a damn sight more than 43 cases.

You’ve completely ignored the first link.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Omicron on 09:44 - Dec 12 with 769 viewsGlasgowBlue

Omicron on 09:40 - Dec 12 by DanTheMan

I did see him being cited by a few anti vaxers because of that Japan video. There was another video too about intravenous injections that caused some alarm.

Bit of a counter point here:
(at 18:10)

How are you feeling now Dan?

Iron Lion Zion

Omicron on 09:47 - Dec 12 with 763 viewsgordon

Omicron on 09:43 - Dec 12 by GlasgowBlue

The very early data was from South Africa which has a damn sight more than 43 cases.

You’ve completely ignored the first link.

The same principle applies.
Omicron on 09:49 - Dec 12 with 758 viewsGlasgowBlue

Omicron on 09:47 - Dec 12 by gordon

The same principle applies.

You said that there hadn’t been any data to suggest that Omicron may be milder. There has been. Although it is very early data. That’s all.

Iron Lion Zion

Omicron on 09:52 - Dec 12 with 755 viewsDanTheMan

Omicron on 09:44 - Dec 12 by GlasgowBlue

How are you feeling now Dan?

Better thanks, had a lateral flow last night that came back negative so over the worst of it.

Just would rather like my taste back before Christmas, however unlikely that is to happen!

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Omicron on 09:54 - Dec 12 with 750 viewsGlasgowBlue

Omicron on 09:52 - Dec 12 by DanTheMan

Better thanks, had a lateral flow last night that came back negative so over the worst of it.

Just would rather like my taste back before Christmas, however unlikely that is to happen!

On the plus side you may be immune to the the after effects of others eating Brussel Sprouts over the festive period.

Iron Lion Zion

Omicron on 09:56 - Dec 12 with 747 viewsDanTheMan

Omicron on 09:54 - Dec 12 by GlasgowBlue

On the plus side you may be immune to the the after effects of others eating Brussel Sprouts over the festive period.

That is very true, although I'm usually too drunk to care!

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Login to get fewer ads

Omicron on 09:56 - Dec 12 with 748 viewsgordon

Omicron on 09:49 - Dec 12 by GlasgowBlue

You said that there hadn’t been any data to suggest that Omicron may be milder. There has been. Although it is very early data. That’s all.

No, it doesn't suggest that Omicron is milder. It suggests that because of previous exposure people may be less likely to be hospitalised. That's all. We don't know whether the Omicron variant is inherently less or more pathogenic than previous variants.
Omicron on 09:59 - Dec 12 with 742 viewsGlasgowBlue

Omicron on 09:56 - Dec 12 by gordon

No, it doesn't suggest that Omicron is milder. It suggests that because of previous exposure people may be less likely to be hospitalised. That's all. We don't know whether the Omicron variant is inherently less or more pathogenic than previous variants.

What part of “Early data on Omicron show surging cases but milder symptoms” in the first link and “ CDC chief says Omicron is ‘mild’ as early data comes in on US spread of variant” in the second, did you fail to understand?

Iron Lion Zion

Omicron on 10:40 - Dec 12 with 697 viewsgordon

Omicron on 09:59 - Dec 12 by GlasgowBlue

What part of “Early data on Omicron show surging cases but milder symptoms” in the first link and “ CDC chief says Omicron is ‘mild’ as early data comes in on US spread of variant” in the second, did you fail to understand?

Would gently suggest that those headlines are poorly worded and don't fully reflect the complexity of the situation (and the original youtube video in the OP).

In general I think it's going to be really, really dangerous and unhelpful for people to go into the Christmas / New Year period thinking that Omicron is 'milder' when this perception (even if it turns out to be true), combined with the increased transmissibility and Christmas mixing etc. could present us with a disastrous situation in January.
Omicron on 10:44 - Dec 12 with 696 viewsgordon

There's a nice worked example of the relative importance of transmissibility and pathogenicity.
Omicron on 11:05 - Dec 12 with 677 viewsGlasgowBlue

Omicron on 10:40 - Dec 12 by gordon

Would gently suggest that those headlines are poorly worded and don't fully reflect the complexity of the situation (and the original youtube video in the OP).

In general I think it's going to be really, really dangerous and unhelpful for people to go into the Christmas / New Year period thinking that Omicron is 'milder' when this perception (even if it turns out to be true), combined with the increased transmissibility and Christmas mixing etc. could present us with a disastrous situation in January.

Even if it is milder the number of cases predicted would throw the NHS into chaos. So why would people throw cation to the wind over the festive period?

People should continue to take every necessary precaution to protect themselves and others.

But people should not be restricted to discussing what little available data there is that suggests this variant causes more mild symptoms than the previous variants. We are all grown ups.

Iron Lion Zion

Omicron on 11:13 - Dec 12 with 665 viewsgordon

Omicron on 11:05 - Dec 12 by GlasgowBlue

Even if it is milder the number of cases predicted would throw the NHS into chaos. So why would people throw cation to the wind over the festive period?

People should continue to take every necessary precaution to protect themselves and others.

But people should not be restricted to discussing what little available data there is that suggests this variant causes more mild symptoms than the previous variants. We are all grown ups.

I'm not trying to restrict anyone from discussing the available data on Omicron, I'm just giving a perspective on the Omicron data and how it's being interpreted.
Omicron on 11:14 - Dec 12 with 660 viewspointofblue

Omicron on 11:05 - Dec 12 by GlasgowBlue

“So why would people throw cation to the wind over the festive period?”

Because people have had enough. The human race is a social species and one which often hears what we want to hear. The vaccines were the way out so we do not want to hear more doom and gloom leading to more lockdowns. “It’s the hope that gets you” - the feeling was things were on the mend and now it’s back to square one. Many cannot cope with it anymore. Call it selfish and irresponsible but people are snapping; their coping mechanisms have been shredded. That’s why I think quite a few people will continue to throw caution to the wind over Christmas.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Omicron on 11:19 - Dec 12 with 656 viewsgordon

Omicron on 11:14 - Dec 12 by pointofblue

“So why would people throw cation to the wind over the festive period?”

Because people have had enough. The human race is a social species and one which often hears what we want to hear. The vaccines were the way out so we do not want to hear more doom and gloom leading to more lockdowns. “It’s the hope that gets you” - the feeling was things were on the mend and now it’s back to square one. Many cannot cope with it anymore. Call it selfish and irresponsible but people are snapping; their coping mechanisms have been shredded. That’s why I think quite a few people will continue to throw caution to the wind over Christmas.

Yes, it's going to be an extraordinarily difficult situation for Javid/Johnson (given the context) to put in place much more severe restrictions later this week, when they basically don't have support in their party for the minimal restrictions announced last week.
Omicron on 11:26 - Dec 12 with 639 viewspointofblue

Omicron on 11:19 - Dec 12 by gordon

Yes, it's going to be an extraordinarily difficult situation for Javid/Johnson (given the context) to put in place much more severe restrictions later this week, when they basically don't have support in their party for the minimal restrictions announced last week.

Nor do I think they have the support of the public either; at least a decent sized minority.

I’m split - booster jabs fine, Covid passports fine (with something in place for the medically exempt), mask wearing compulsory (except for the medically exempt) in all public settings fine, work from home where possible fine but I’d struggle with another full lockdown.

Omicron on 11:30 - Dec 12 with 626 viewsgordon

Omicron on 11:26 - Dec 12 by pointofblue

Nor do I think they have the support of the public either; at least a decent sized minority.

I’m split - booster jabs fine, Covid passports fine (with something in place for the medically exempt), mask wearing compulsory (except for the medically exempt) in all public settings fine, work from home where possible fine but I’d struggle with another full lockdown.

Think the problem is that if they basically go for everything you've listed there but don't do anything about hospitality & mixing in homes then it won't have much impact on the rate of spread - but anything further is going to be politically problematic, to say the least.
Omicron on 11:39 - Dec 12 with 617 viewspointofblue

Omicron on 11:30 - Dec 12 by gordon

Think the problem is that if they basically go for everything you've listed there but don't do anything about hospitality & mixing in homes then it won't have much impact on the rate of spread - but anything further is going to be politically problematic, to say the least.

I think leaving hospitality alone is ludicrous in the current circumstances - the risk there is higher than in shops! Surely they have to think about controlling large crowds as well; Ipswich v Sunderland is a risk of being a super spreader. But then we are veering back towards a full lockdown.

Omicron on 11:41 - Dec 12 with 616 viewsblueconscience

Omicron on 11:39 - Dec 12 by pointofblue

I think leaving hospitality alone is ludicrous in the current circumstances - the risk there is higher than in shops! Surely they have to think about controlling large crowds as well; Ipswich v Sunderland is a risk of being a super spreader. But then we are veering back towards a full lockdown.

I dread to think the state of this country in 2-3 years time. Poor kids conditioned to fear breathing fresh air, no high street, no hospitality, lots of unemployed.

Deary Deary Me
[Post edited 12 Dec 2021 11:42]

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

Omicron on 11:45 - Dec 12 with 610 viewspointofblue

Omicron on 11:41 - Dec 12 by blueconscience

I dread to think the state of this country in 2-3 years time. Poor kids conditioned to fear breathing fresh air, no high street, no hospitality, lots of unemployed.

Deary Deary Me

Think the high streets were dying anyway; Covid just speeded the process up. Hospitality needs funding to keep afloat whilst limits (NOT closures) are in place.

Omicron on 12:41 - Dec 12 with 581 viewsStokieBlue

Omicron on 11:41 - Dec 12 by blueconscience

Deary Deary Me

What a ridiculous post.

Kids conditioned to fear breathing fresh air? Take a look at yourself.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Omicron on 15:46 - Dec 12 with 537 viewsDinDjarin

Omicron on 05:43 - Dec 12 by gordon

Not sure there's really any evidence to support it being more mild than Alpha or Delta, it's just that more immunity is built up in populations.

First hand evidence here as tested positive Friday and had a headache for a day and then fine. And I am unvaccinated.
Omicron on 15:48 - Dec 12 with 528 viewsgordon

Omicron on 15:46 - Dec 12 by DinDjarin

First hand evidence here as tested positive Friday and had a headache for a day and then fine. And I am unvaccinated.

That settles it then.
Omicron on 15:49 - Dec 12 with 526 viewsStokieBlue

Omicron on 15:46 - Dec 12 by DinDjarin

You mean anecdotal and thus meaningless evidence.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024