Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Options for legally watching online? 11:03 - Dec 18 with 3311 viewsDeano69

After a tormented few days I have decided not to go today, gutted.

Any way of legally watching online that anyone knows of.

Suspect I know the answer. :(

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Options for legally watching online? on 13:20 - Dec 18 with 556 viewsSwansea_Blue

Options for legally watching online? on 12:34 - Dec 18 by bluelagos

Indeed, breaching the Ts and Cs is not a criminal offense so anyone stating "it is illegal" and who can't tell you which law is being broken is incorrect...

I genuinely don't know (doesn't seem anyone does). The common belief is that it's legal, and it's more a morality argument. But I haven't seen an authoritative stance on it from a legal perspective.

Anyway, can't stop as I'm going to struggle to make it to South Korea before 3 pm at this rate!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Options for legally watching online? on 14:00 - Dec 18 with 501 viewsHighgateBlue

There are a lot of people responding to this thread, and similar threads from time to time, who purport to be not only experts on this field of law, but experts who have absolute certainty that their analysis (though cursory or non-existent) is correct. ("100% legal..." blah blah)

Plainly a lot of people use VPNs, just as a lot of people used Napster back in the day. This probably means that unless and until there is either further legislation or a change of government policy, people using it will be able to carry on doing so with impunity. Essentially, nobody yet cares enough to stop it.

I could set out a detailed analysis of the civil law position (in respect of contract and tort), and also in respect of the criminal law. There is of course a difference.

But for those whose level of analysis only goes as far as blindly asserting "100% legal", I suspect the analysis provided by the The Sun might be more readily comprehensible. In short, obtaining a service that is not provided in the UK by pretending to be somewhere else (i.e. by making a false representation as to your local in order to deceive the company into providing you with a service) is funnily enough not in accordance with the law. Whether it is criminally illegal or not will depend on the specific circumstances of the case.

The Sun just goes with:
"Using a VPN to get around such geo-restrictions is illegal and so it is important never to do so."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/6157552/what-is-a-vpn-legal-used-for-how/#:~:text=
Options for legally watching online? on 14:02 - Dec 18 with 499 viewsthelingting

If anything from a morality sense - my take is that if you had no intention or an inability to make a match in person then the financing the club (and EFL) will get is a net positive. The reasoning behind not showing 3pm kickoffs on a Saturday is to encourage people to a match at the end of the day.

As another poster pointed out, with the covid situation at the moment I think you can make an even greater argument to the morality of it as for a lot of people it is probably questionable whether going to a match in person at the moment is truly a net positive.
[Post edited 18 Dec 2021 14:04]
Options for legally watching online? on 14:10 - Dec 18 with 478 viewsjeera

Options for legally watching online? on 14:00 - Dec 18 by HighgateBlue

There are a lot of people responding to this thread, and similar threads from time to time, who purport to be not only experts on this field of law, but experts who have absolute certainty that their analysis (though cursory or non-existent) is correct. ("100% legal..." blah blah)

Plainly a lot of people use VPNs, just as a lot of people used Napster back in the day. This probably means that unless and until there is either further legislation or a change of government policy, people using it will be able to carry on doing so with impunity. Essentially, nobody yet cares enough to stop it.

I could set out a detailed analysis of the civil law position (in respect of contract and tort), and also in respect of the criminal law. There is of course a difference.

But for those whose level of analysis only goes as far as blindly asserting "100% legal", I suspect the analysis provided by the The Sun might be more readily comprehensible. In short, obtaining a service that is not provided in the UK by pretending to be somewhere else (i.e. by making a false representation as to your local in order to deceive the company into providing you with a service) is funnily enough not in accordance with the law. Whether it is criminally illegal or not will depend on the specific circumstances of the case.

The Sun just goes with:
"Using a VPN to get around such geo-restrictions is illegal and so it is important never to do so."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/6157552/what-is-a-vpn-legal-used-for-how/#:~:text=

Can only spot one post claiming it to be 100% legal fella.

Maybe best to respond to them directly.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Options for legally watching online? on 14:15 - Dec 18 with 471 viewsDavoIPB

Options for legally watching online? on 14:10 - Dec 18 by jeera

Yep think most people just said it could go either way. Nobody stopping it but I'm sure they will soon.
Options for legally watching online? on 14:16 - Dec 18 with 468 viewsjeera

Options for legally watching online? on 14:15 - Dec 18 by DavoIPB

Yep think most people just said it could go either way. Nobody stopping it but I'm sure they will soon.

Still, the condescension was fun huh?!

Options for legally watching online? on 19:21 - Dec 18 with 351 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

Options for legally watching online? on 14:10 - Dec 18 by jeera

Yeah, respond to me directly by DM so I can just delete your message and save everyone else.
Options for legally watching online? on 19:39 - Dec 18 with 339 viewsborge

Options for legally watching online? on 12:52 - Dec 18 by Ryorry

There's also the point (I think) that the EFL (or other footballing authority) restrict live-streaming for the good reason that they don't want clubs' valuable revenue source of bums-on-seats being depleted by cheaper online ways of watching.

Tho in these Covid times, I'd say there's a good case for making exceptions when the R rate is high.

I suspect that it is somewhat in their best interests to turn a blind eye. People are paying for the service and both the clubs and the EFL are probably making a fairly significant income from it. There's an argument that if they stop it people will switch to illegal streams - the issue of people watching remotely rather than going to games remains, but the income is lost.
Login to get fewer ads

Options for legally watching online? on 19:44 - Dec 18 with 336 viewsjeera

Options for legally watching online? on 19:21 - Dec 18 by BlueBlueBluex2

Yeah, respond to me directly by DM so I can just delete your message and save everyone else.

Seems odd that you've directed that at me.

[Post edited 18 Dec 2021 19:46]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024