Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A Very British Scandal 19:37 - Dec 27 with 1262 viewsNthQldITFC

Not watched it yet, but this looks good on iPlayer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0b569c3/a-very-british-scandal-series-1-e

Just trying to remember who it was who impugned which goalkeeper, in 'Mr John' I think, with "He's had more balls through his hands than the Duchess of Argyle."

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

A Very British Scandal on 19:43 - Dec 27 with 1253 viewsLord_Lucan

I watched two of the three last night.

I thought it was quite good - bit not sure how much artistic license was involved.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

A Very British Scandal on 19:47 - Dec 27 with 1231 viewsNthQldITFC

A Very British Scandal on 19:43 - Dec 27 by Lord_Lucan

I thought it was quite good - bit not sure how much artistic license was involved.

Most people I have spoken to were complimentary about it, but there were a few knockers.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

A Very British Scandal on 19:59 - Dec 27 with 1199 viewsLord_Lucan

A Very British Scandal on 19:47 - Dec 27 by NthQldITFC

Most people I have spoken to were complimentary about it, but there were a few knockers.

There were indeed a few knockers, there was a glimpse of fanny as well

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

A Very British Scandal on 23:07 - Dec 27 with 1029 viewsRyorry

A Very British Scandal on 19:47 - Dec 27 by NthQldITFC

It was excellently done, as these things usually are by the BBC, but was surprised they chose that incident to dramatise; doesn't seem particularly important or interesting in 2021 - or perhaps it was intended to show the contrast in attitudes between now and then.

The bunch of ****ers it focusses on, who'd never done anything useful or interesting in their lives except behave like arrogant, Machiavellian manipulators, don't exactly endear themselves - there's not one who you can sympathise with. Only a 6/10 from me (but will watch it to the end to see how it turns out).

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

A Very British Scandal on 09:58 - Dec 28 with 872 viewsGlasgowBlue

A Very British Scandal on 23:07 - Dec 27 by Ryorry

It was excellently done, as these things usually are by the BBC, but was surprised they chose that incident to dramatise; doesn't seem particularly important or interesting in 2021 - or perhaps it was intended to show the contrast in attitudes between now and then.

The bunch of ****ers it focusses on, who'd never done anything useful or interesting in their lives except behave like arrogant, Machiavellian manipulators, don't exactly endear themselves - there's not one who you can sympathise with. Only a 6/10 from me (but will watch it to the end to see how it turns out).

Andrew Neil sums the pair of them up well.

As an aside, I shall be spending New Year’s Eve just outside of Inveraray, as I always do. Inveraray castle is a lovely building set in beautiful surroundings.

The original single track bridge in the road adjacent to the castle is still there and the only way into Inveraray if you are coming in via the Rest and Be Thankful.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

A Very British Scandal on 11:08 - Dec 28 with 820 viewsRyorry

A Very British Scandal on 09:58 - Dec 28 by GlasgowBlue

Andrew Neil sums the pair of them up well.

As an aside, I shall be spending New Year’s Eve just outside of Inveraray, as I always do. Inveraray castle is a lovely building set in beautiful surroundings.

The original single track bridge in the road adjacent to the castle is still there and the only way into Inveraray if you are coming in via the Rest and Be Thankful.

Hah, exactly, tho you could argue she (Margaret the Duchess) had IQ in spades - it just took the form of very unpleasant, sly cunning.

Very beautiful part of the world, I spent a Hogmanay there when about 18, waitressing in an Ardfern hotel that had an exceptionally grumpy English owner but an exceptionally talented young chef. I remember it taking forever to get anywhere by car because of the length of the lochs!

A Very British Scandal on 11:32 - Dec 28 with 780 viewsblueislander

A Very British Scandal on 19:43 - Dec 27 by Lord_Lucan

I think it is very well done. As for poetic license, it is difficult to imagine that the Duke could have been such a complete ar-ehole as he is depicted.
A Very British Scandal on 15:03 - Dec 29 with 615 viewsRyorry

A Very British Scandal on 11:32 - Dec 28 by blueislander

I think it is very well done. As for poetic license, it is difficult to imagine that the Duke could have been such a complete ar-ehole as he is depicted.

He was actually worse if anything, if what her biographer (Lyndsy Spence) said last night is true -

"The real turning point in their marriage came in 1958 when she refused to pay Ian’s latest debts. In turn, he sought revenge and tried to have her certified insane due to her head injury from 1941. Her doctor warned her of his plan."

With last night's finale & appalling double standards exposed, I can certainly see now why it is still very relevant to 2021. Yes they were both badly damaged by earlier life experiences (amongst other things, she never received any kind of real education, & falling 40 feet down a lift shaft in 1941 left her with a brain injury; whilst he was apparently traumatised by his POW experiences), yet it was her father I ended up feeling most sorry for.
[Post edited 29 Dec 2021 15:31]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024