Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One for the old timers... 10:15 - Dec 28 with 4099 viewsbluelagos

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/ranked-the-100-best-football-stadiums-groun

Been to 49 of these, must be a few of you can top that?

Arsenal, Spurs and most of the Scottish ones are most obvious gaps for me.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

One for the old timers... on 23:45 - Dec 28 with 1159 viewsTheBoyBlue

That's a pretty weird list!
[Post edited 28 Dec 2021 23:45]

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

One for the old timers... on 09:02 - Dec 29 with 1088 viewsChurchman

One for the old timers... on 12:02 - Dec 28 by hammo56

58 for me. Done a few of the Scottish ones, new Spurs stadium is one I would like to do in the near future.

Wow, that’s impressive! I have been to Spurs’ new ground and it’s the best I’ve been to, though I can only boast visiting a measly 37.
One for the old timers... on 10:01 - Dec 29 with 1062 viewsHipsterectomy

One for the old timers... on 20:25 - Dec 28 by azuremerlangus

Agree.

Wimbledon’s Plough Lane was picked because they had gone back to, err, Plough Lane.

yep Luton's ground is number 51 for having "character" (i.e. a shthole)
[Post edited 29 Dec 2021 10:02]

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

One for the old timers... on 10:17 - Dec 29 with 1045 viewsChurchman

One for the old timers... on 10:01 - Dec 29 by Hipsterectomy

yep Luton's ground is number 51 for having "character" (i.e. a shthole)
[Post edited 29 Dec 2021 10:02]

Agreed. Luton’s ground like the town is a total shthole. I first went in the 70s and my dad got us prime tickets in the main stand. I counted 13 pillars between us and the pitch. I’ve been many times over the years since and stood/sat in 3 sides of the ground and always marvelled at just how rubbish it was.

I went years ago with a friend to watch Luton v Leeds. We stood on the open away end. The Leeds fans were picking up bits of loose terracing and chucking it at the Luton goalie. It was cloudy and he wore a hat for protection, but there was enough rubble in the goalmouth to build a wall at the end of the game.
[Post edited 29 Dec 2021 10:18]
One for the old timers... on 10:29 - Dec 29 with 1029 viewshammo56

One for the old timers... on 10:17 - Dec 29 by Churchman

Agreed. Luton’s ground like the town is a total shthole. I first went in the 70s and my dad got us prime tickets in the main stand. I counted 13 pillars between us and the pitch. I’ve been many times over the years since and stood/sat in 3 sides of the ground and always marvelled at just how rubbish it was.

I went years ago with a friend to watch Luton v Leeds. We stood on the open away end. The Leeds fans were picking up bits of loose terracing and chucking it at the Luton goalie. It was cloudy and he wore a hat for protection, but there was enough rubble in the goalmouth to build a wall at the end of the game.

First time I went to Luton was back in the 74/75 season. Town won 4-1 but I remember we played them on Boxing Day at Portman Road that season and they were bottom of the league and beat us 1-0. Typical Town, we went on to finish 3rd that season 2 points behind Champions Derby County.
[Post edited 29 Dec 2021 10:29]
One for the old timers... on 10:30 - Dec 29 with 1028 viewsDJR

I've played at three of the grounds, Luton, OPR and Dulwich Hamlet. I only played at a very minor level but Luton and QPR were available for hire when they had plastic pitches. In each case, the grounds were booked for cup finals at the end of the season by the very junior leagues I played in.
One for the old timers... on 10:35 - Dec 29 with 1016 viewsDJR

One for the old timers... on 10:30 - Dec 29 by DJR

I've played at three of the grounds, Luton, OPR and Dulwich Hamlet. I only played at a very minor level but Luton and QPR were available for hire when they had plastic pitches. In each case, the grounds were booked for cup finals at the end of the season by the very junior leagues I played in.

I've just realised QPR isn't on the list.
One for the old timers... on 10:42 - Dec 29 with 1007 viewsChurchman

One for the old timers... on 10:29 - Dec 29 by hammo56

First time I went to Luton was back in the 74/75 season. Town won 4-1 but I remember we played them on Boxing Day at Portman Road that season and they were bottom of the league and beat us 1-0. Typical Town, we went on to finish 3rd that season 2 points behind Champions Derby County.
[Post edited 29 Dec 2021 10:29]

Yep, that was the first time I went. The 4-1 game. I didn’t see the Boxing Day defeat - we had to go to some boring family do.

One of the memorable Luton games was the FA Cup game in I think 1980. Not only did we do a really good 3-0 job on what was a good Luton team, but Butcher had his nose smashed and needed more than one blood transfusion after the game. He played for ages just holding and mopping up the bugle.
Login to get fewer ads

One for the old timers... on 11:24 - Dec 29 with 987 viewsnoggin

One for the old timers... on 10:42 - Dec 29 by Churchman

Yep, that was the first time I went. The 4-1 game. I didn’t see the Boxing Day defeat - we had to go to some boring family do.

One of the memorable Luton games was the FA Cup game in I think 1980. Not only did we do a really good 3-0 job on what was a good Luton team, but Butcher had his nose smashed and needed more than one blood transfusion after the game. He played for ages just holding and mopping up the bugle.

That cup game was my first ever away game. I remember Luton fans throwing bottles and bricks at us as we walked away from the ground. Frightening as a young kid.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

One for the old timers... on 11:41 - Dec 29 with 971 viewsbluelagos

One for the old timers... on 10:35 - Dec 29 by DJR

I've just realised QPR isn't on the list.

No. 68

One for the old timers... on 11:42 - Dec 29 with 969 viewsChurchman

One for the old timers... on 11:24 - Dec 29 by noggin

That cup game was my first ever away game. I remember Luton fans throwing bottles and bricks at us as we walked away from the ground. Frightening as a young kid.

Yep, there was a lot of that. I knew the area pretty well. Dodged away down a quiet street back into the town centre and got let into the Arndale Centre thanks to me being with the sweet smiling gf and hunkered in there for an hour with a coffee until the boneheads had dispersed.
One for the old timers... on 12:02 - Dec 29 with 941 viewshammo56

One for the old timers... on 10:42 - Dec 29 by Churchman

I missed the cup game. Remember SBR saying after the game that Butcher had lost so much blood that at one time they were concerned that he was going to die.
One for the old timers... on 12:22 - Dec 29 with 932 viewssolemio

One for the old timers... on 10:17 - Dec 29 by Churchman

You clearly don't know the town very well. If you have only been as a football fan then it is quite understandable that you would describe it in the way you have. There are considerable areas of Luton which have genuinely classy houses, in some cases with lovely views of the Chiltern Hills.

I've always enjoyed walking through the "Asian" area of the town. I used to get smiles and greetings. There are other areas I would rather not walk through, especially after dark!

Luton is quite a big town - bigger, I think, than Ipswich. Like all towns of its size it has good and bad parts.
One for the old timers... on 13:10 - Dec 29 with 910 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Seems a pretty poor list...Vicarage Rd - nothing good about that ground. didn't even serve beer when I went!
One for the old timers... on 13:24 - Dec 29 with 893 viewsChurchman

One for the old timers... on 12:22 - Dec 29 by solemio

You clearly don't know the town very well. If you have only been as a football fan then it is quite understandable that you would describe it in the way you have. There are considerable areas of Luton which have genuinely classy houses, in some cases with lovely views of the Chiltern Hills.

I've always enjoyed walking through the "Asian" area of the town. I used to get smiles and greetings. There are other areas I would rather not walk through, especially after dark!

Luton is quite a big town - bigger, I think, than Ipswich. Like all towns of its size it has good and bad parts.

I stayed in a house there for a couple of months when doing some flying stuff so saw nothing but airfield and pubs, been to a good number of times for football (a late school friend was a bit Luton Town fan) but no, I don’t know it as well as I do other parts of Bedfordshire. However Luton always struck me as a dump.

The population is over 220,000 so yes, bigger than Ipswich and indeed Bedford. As you rightly point out, most towns and cities have their horrible areas, some larger than others.
One for the old timers... on 13:28 - Dec 29 with 891 viewsGeomorph

One for the old timers... on 18:28 - Dec 28 by azuremerlangus

A feeble 23 for me (but it did include Parkhead/Celtic park).

Not counted up from the list as many of them I only went to the old grounds pre kit ground construction.

However… a couple to mention are Brechin… oh and Celtic (saw town play friendly there in 77 I think)
One for the old timers... on 13:48 - Dec 29 with 869 viewsPhilTWTD

One for the old timers... on 14:10 - Dec 29 with 852 viewsPhilTWTD

One for the old timers... on 18:05 - Dec 28 by bluelagos

Current leader Hammo...

Any old fart beat that? Phil? PJH?

I'm one short at 57. Not actually ever been to Scotland - not a conscious decision just never happened - and not made the new Spurs and Man City grounds or any of the non-league ones that haven't been in the league.
One for the old timers... on 15:32 - Dec 29 with 787 viewsNthsuffolkblue

One for the old timers... on 14:10 - Dec 29 by PhilTWTD

I'm one short at 57. Not actually ever been to Scotland - not a conscious decision just never happened - and not made the new Spurs and Man City grounds or any of the non-league ones that haven't been in the league.

"Not a conscious decision".

You have an unconscious bias against the Scots?

I too have never been but would like to sometime. Just never liked to enough to arrange to go - yet.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

One for the old timers... on 16:51 - Dec 29 with 745 viewsbluelagos

One for the old timers... on 15:32 - Dec 29 by Nthsuffolkblue

I too have never been but would like to sometime. Just never liked to enough to arrange to go - yet.

Scotland has an awful lot going for it. West coast is simply stunning.

Glasgow and Edinburgh can be a bit edgy in some parts of town (where isn't?) but be sensible and you'll have an awesome time.

One for the old timers... on 17:03 - Dec 29 with 731 viewsPhilTWTD

One for the old timers... on 15:32 - Dec 29 by Nthsuffolkblue

Similar, always meant to go but never quite got round to it.
One for the old timers... on 17:07 - Dec 29 with 720 viewsnoggin

One for the old timers... on 16:51 - Dec 29 by bluelagos

Scotland has an awful lot going for it. West coast is simply stunning.

Glasgow and Edinburgh can be a bit edgy in some parts of town (where isn't?) but be sensible and you'll have an awesome time.

Glasgow is my favorite city. The locals are very welcoming.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024