Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
McKenna will need time and so we need to be patient 08:04 - Dec 30 with 925 viewsCopfordBlue

I get a sense that if we are it’ll pay dividends.

He’s a young, inexperienced manager so is bound to get some things wrong on and off the pitch. When Jewell, Hurst and Cook left, the “it took Sir Bobby years to get it right” comments always came out. They were older, more experienced managers though. It was clear that we weren’t moving forward, that what they had done in the past wasn’t going to happen here and that they just weren’t the right fit for our club. The same could be said of Keane, in fact he admitted as much himself after he left.

It’s different this time. The club have taken a chance on a rookie and he needs to be cut more slack. I was surprised when we appointed him but having now seen him and the pedigree he has as a coach I completely understand why the club appointed him. Far rather him than Harris or any of the other managers we were linked with. If we tread water this season and improve next season then that’s enough for me, I’m not expecting promotion this season or even next necessarily, I just want to feel that we are moving in the right direction.

Poll: Most enjoyable calendar year as an Ipswich supporter

McKenna will need time and so we need to be patient on 08:10 - Dec 30 with 896 viewsblueprint

Sir Bobby was of a similar age when he took over with around a year of managerial experience under his belt.
McKenna will need time and so we need to be patient on 08:48 - Dec 30 with 791 viewsChurchman

McKenna will need time and so we need to be patient on 08:10 - Dec 30 by blueprint

Sir Bobby was of a similar age when he took over with around a year of managerial experience under his belt.

Robson was 35/36 when he joined Ipswich. He had about 9 months at Fulham. He inherited a poor team at Fulham Jan 68 that were duly relegated and was fired at the end of the autumn when they were 8th in Div 2.

In coaching terms, McKenna is a lot more experienced than Robson was, but not of course in terms of management and playing at the top level - for whatever that’s worth. Different worlds, different time.

Yes, McK needs time. On the upside he is part of a structure that didn’t exist 12 months ago. The modern way of doing things. He needs good support and patience when things don’t go right. The concern is that football isn’t about patience and the window to get things right is a small one.

On the upside, he come across as organised, confident and knowing his own mind. I’m hopeful. He’s a much more interesting appointment than those on the Bookies list a couple of weeks ago.
McKenna will need time and so we need to be patient on 09:02 - Dec 30 with 748 viewsSomethingBlue

There is an assuredness and clarity about McKenna that I like very much. Haven't had a manager quite like him in a long time, it's very interesting. Agree on all this, he will need time. Wouldn't write the season off yet though — if we continue to see the level of organisation we saw last night, then we will be able to hold most teams off and give ourselves a real chance at the other end.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

McKenna will need time and so we need to be patient on 09:07 - Dec 30 with 711 viewstextbackup

McKenna will need time and so we need to be patient on 09:02 - Dec 30 by SomethingBlue

There is an assuredness and clarity about McKenna that I like very much. Haven't had a manager quite like him in a long time, it's very interesting. Agree on all this, he will need time. Wouldn't write the season off yet though — if we continue to see the level of organisation we saw last night, then we will be able to hold most teams off and give ourselves a real chance at the other end.

in about 10 days he organised us to stop wycombe, deal with their shthouseness, and win...

i still think we'll finish in the playoffs. he seems too much of a no stone underturned kinda guy for us to not pick up a shtload of points.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

McKenna will need time and so we need to be patient on 09:09 - Dec 30 with 693 viewsSomethingBlue

McKenna will need time and so we need to be patient on 09:07 - Dec 30 by textbackup

in about 10 days he organised us to stop wycombe, deal with their shthouseness, and win...

i still think we'll finish in the playoffs. he seems too much of a no stone underturned kinda guy for us to not pick up a shtload of points.

I'm refusing to look at the table for another two months. If we can take five or six points off the current gap by the end of Feb then we've a chance going into the final 10 games.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

McKenna will need time and so we need to be patient on 09:21 - Dec 30 with 618 viewssolomon

McKenna will need time and so we need to be patient on 09:07 - Dec 30 by textbackup

As long as he takes us the right direction I’ll be happy.
McKenna will need time and so we need to be patient on 09:26 - Dec 30 with 595 viewstextbackup

McKenna will need time and so we need to be patient on 09:09 - Dec 30 by SomethingBlue

I'm refusing to look at the table for another two months. If we can take five or six points off the current gap by the end of Feb then we've a chance going into the final 10 games.

i looked at table for the first time in ages about 3 weeks ago, and it frightened the life out of me!

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

McKenna will need time and so we need to be patient on 09:30 - Dec 30 with 574 viewstractorboy1978

McKenna will need time and so we need to be patient on 09:09 - Dec 30 by SomethingBlue

You have to think/hope the form of that top 6 will drop off a bit as 6th place is on course for 84 points at the moment!

All we can do is focus on ourselves. I think we need to hit 76 points to give ourselves a sniff which looks something like 13 wins, 5 draws, 4 defeats from 22 games. It feels very do-able on the evidence of the last couple of games and with the depth of quality in the squad we have available.

It's absolutely infuriating how haphazard and naive we were defensively at the start of this season.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024