Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Two more reasons to hate Dominic Raab. 09:16 - Dec 31 with 4741 viewsBlueBadger

1. No mask
2. Chelsea supporter.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/dec/30/dominic-raab-photographed-at-ch

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Two more reasons to hate Dominic Raab. on 17:51 - Jan 1 with 697 viewstractordownsouth

Two more reasons to hate Dominic Raab. on 14:00 - Jan 1 by Darth_Koont

I agree that housing has been criminally mismanaged for decades.

It was under New Labour that house prices really surged and left non-home owners particularly high and dry. To not invest in housing (new stock and refurbishment) particularly during that period was scandalous. It should have been an absolute priority but it’s now been allowed to fall almost completely out of a government’s remit now. And of course, local authorities have been starved of the budget too.

We lack the political will to take responsibility. Whether that’s led by voter apathy/self-interest or whether the lack of political leadership came first, I don’t know. Bit of both, but we’ve created another massive problem by shrugging our shoulders.

The lack of house building under New Labour is a completely fair criticism and one I agree with but lots of money went into refurbishment of the existing social housing stock.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Two more reasons to hate Dominic Raab. on 18:16 - Jan 1 with 663 viewsDarth_Koont

Two more reasons to hate Dominic Raab. on 17:51 - Jan 1 by tractordownsouth

The lack of house building under New Labour is a completely fair criticism and one I agree with but lots of money went into refurbishment of the existing social housing stock.

Yes, but I put them together as a total package and on that level they failed. They needed to do both hand-in-hand.

Then of course the failure to invest in new housing stock during the boom in the global economy really bit us in the arse with the crash and resulting austerity everyone mysteriously signed up for.

Partly this is a short-sightedness in government that is shared with most other western democracies. But our big failure was seeing this, and far too much of the rest of society and the economy, in terms of some sort of inescapable neoliberal settlement. Suddenly we became like the US but without the advantages.

I suspect the pandemic has been a bit of an eye-opener for those who kept going on about the magic money tree and how it’s not possible to spend “money we don’t have” even if it’s for the good of society. But we need to learn the lessons from the past and present and not slide back into that narrow way of thinking.

Pronouns: He/Him

Two more reasons to hate Dominic Raab. on 20:05 - Jan 1 with 585 viewsBlueBadger

Two more reasons to hate Dominic Raab. on 11:00 - Dec 31 by jimmyvet

You shouldn’t hate anyone.You posted a while back about mental health and being kind to people some of your vitriol and hate posted today is pretty poor and you ought to practice what you were preaching a while back to others!

Johnson is an incompetent Buffon but I don’t hate him or Rabb or all Tories, most of whom are decent hard working people who just disagree with you on politics.

What is it about the openly bigoted, corrupt and incompetent Boris Johnson that appeals to you?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Two more reasons to hate Dominic Raab. on 21:00 - Jan 1 with 543 viewstractordownsouth

Two more reasons to hate Dominic Raab. on 18:16 - Jan 1 by Darth_Koont

Yes, but I put them together as a total package and on that level they failed. They needed to do both hand-in-hand.

Then of course the failure to invest in new housing stock during the boom in the global economy really bit us in the arse with the crash and resulting austerity everyone mysteriously signed up for.

Partly this is a short-sightedness in government that is shared with most other western democracies. But our big failure was seeing this, and far too much of the rest of society and the economy, in terms of some sort of inescapable neoliberal settlement. Suddenly we became like the US but without the advantages.

I suspect the pandemic has been a bit of an eye-opener for those who kept going on about the magic money tree and how it’s not possible to spend “money we don’t have” even if it’s for the good of society. But we need to learn the lessons from the past and present and not slide back into that narrow way of thinking.

Alongside climate, housing is the policy area that needs the most radical action. As someone who lives in the South West, it's scandalous that people are getting priced out of their communities so a rich couple can spend a few months a year in St Ives or Falmouth and then use it for Air BnB. Luke Pollard (MP for Plymouth) was putting forward some good ideas in a Parliament committee the other week.

I'm not sure what my preferred solution would be - maybe putting a freeze on rents for a few years would be an option so it would dis-incentivise private landlords without completely crashing the market altogether. Obviously that would be combined with more house building as well but I think it needs changes at the demand end as well as supply. Even if rent freezes aren't possible, whacking a massive council tax bill onto those properties would go some way towards solving the problem. Reducing housing costs would help with so many other issues as well, even beyond the obvious short term benefits of poverty reduction. Obviously it's a way off, but given that so few people in my generation are going to be able to afford to have kids if things continue the way they are with sky-high rents, the social care crisis in 50 years time will make the current one look like a cakewalk.
[Post edited 1 Jan 2022 21:01]

Two more reasons to hate Dominic Raab. on 21:10 - Jan 1 with 527 viewsjeera

Two more reasons to hate Dominic Raab. on 21:00 - Jan 1 by tractordownsouth

Alongside climate, housing is the policy area that needs the most radical action. As someone who lives in the South West, it's scandalous that people are getting priced out of their communities so a rich couple can spend a few months a year in St Ives or Falmouth and then use it for Air BnB. Luke Pollard (MP for Plymouth) was putting forward some good ideas in a Parliament committee the other week.

I'm not sure what my preferred solution would be - maybe putting a freeze on rents for a few years would be an option so it would dis-incentivise private landlords without completely crashing the market altogether. Obviously that would be combined with more house building as well but I think it needs changes at the demand end as well as supply. Even if rent freezes aren't possible, whacking a massive council tax bill onto those properties would go some way towards solving the problem. Reducing housing costs would help with so many other issues as well, even beyond the obvious short term benefits of poverty reduction. Obviously it's a way off, but given that so few people in my generation are going to be able to afford to have kids if things continue the way they are with sky-high rents, the social care crisis in 50 years time will make the current one look like a cakewalk.

"Reducing housing costs would help with so many other issues as well, even beyond the obvious short term benefits of poverty reduction"

Affordable housing is the foundation of absolutely everything.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Two more reasons to hate Dominic Raab. on 21:21 - Jan 1 with 504 viewsEdwardStone

Two more reasons to hate Dominic Raab. on 21:10 - Jan 1 by jeera

"Reducing housing costs would help with so many other issues as well, even beyond the obvious short term benefits of poverty reduction"

Amen to this...my sentiment exactly

And we need really affordable housing, circa £200 per month for a decent sized family home, either rent or mortgage

Not the current definition of affordable which seems to be the merest sliver under market rate
Two more reasons to hate Dominic Raab. on 21:24 - Jan 1 with 503 viewstractordownsouth

Two more reasons to hate Dominic Raab. on 21:10 - Jan 1 by jeera

Indeed. The list is endless.

Two more reasons to hate Dominic Raab. on 21:28 - Jan 1 with 490 viewsjeera

Two more reasons to hate Dominic Raab. on 21:24 - Jan 1 by tractordownsouth

Indeed. The list is endless.

Then start a party along with Edward Stone there and I will support you all I can.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Login to get fewer ads

Two more reasons to hate Dominic Raab. on 23:34 - Jan 1 with 453 viewsDarth_Koont

Two more reasons to hate Dominic Raab. on 21:00 - Jan 1 by tractordownsouth

Agree 100%.

And like jeera, I’d support anyone who actually took that seriously.

Pronouns: He/Him

Two more reasons to hate Dominic Raab. on 10:29 - Jan 2 with 398 viewsEdwardStone

Two more reasons to hate Dominic Raab. on 21:28 - Jan 1 by jeera

Then start a party along with Edward Stone there and I will support you all I can.

A party or a Party?

I will happily host the former

Not quite so keen to enable the latter
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024