Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lucky Generals 09:06 - Jan 26 with 2827 viewsjayessess

Is it fair to say that we've had a couple of decent slices of fortune during 3 of our 4 recent wins? Wycombe blazing a late chance over the bar, Accrington hit the bar twice, Wimbledon hitting the post?

There's a (probably apocryphal) Napoleon quote "I'd rather my generals were lucky than able" and maybe McKenna's a lucky general!

Or maybe you just notice the doses of good fortune more when you're well organised and defensively sound, meaning you don't concede 2 minutes later.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Lucky Generals on 12:37 - Jan 26 with 672 viewsjayessess

Lucky Generals on 12:30 - Jan 26 by Churchman

I did hesitate to include Grouchy. The principle accusations if I remember rightly were that he failed to use his initiative to march to the clearly audible guns, didn’t stay close enough to Blucher, he didn’t move his army quickly enough possibly due to inexperience of independent command. I’ve not read enough about Grouchy so please correct me if I’m wrong - history tends to be written by the winners and the losers like to blame somebody else..

Ney in particular was certainly no tactician. A man of extreme bravery that couldn’t be questioned, but his decision making is mystifying both at Quatre Bras and at Waterloo in particular with launching heavy cavalry against squares time after time without artillery and infantry support.

He was left in overall command when Napoleon felt a bit peaky and it didn’t go well. Brave to the end, Ney refused a blindfold when executed at the end of the year.

Some of Ney's descendants live in South Suffolk, weirdly, used to know them as a kid!
[Post edited 26 Jan 2022 16:49]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Lucky Generals on 16:19 - Jan 26 with 622 viewsGuthrum

Lucky Generals on 12:30 - Jan 26 by Churchman

I did hesitate to include Grouchy. The principle accusations if I remember rightly were that he failed to use his initiative to march to the clearly audible guns, didn’t stay close enough to Blucher, he didn’t move his army quickly enough possibly due to inexperience of independent command. I’ve not read enough about Grouchy so please correct me if I’m wrong - history tends to be written by the winners and the losers like to blame somebody else..

Ney in particular was certainly no tactician. A man of extreme bravery that couldn’t be questioned, but his decision making is mystifying both at Quatre Bras and at Waterloo in particular with launching heavy cavalry against squares time after time without artillery and infantry support.

He was left in overall command when Napoleon felt a bit peaky and it didn’t go well. Brave to the end, Ney refused a blindfold when executed at the end of the year.

Grouchy had fairly explicit orders from Napoleon to attack and hold the Prussians. Had he marched to join the Emperor, he would have been both disobeying his instructions and risking Blucher (who had a head start) moving his whole army to join Wellington.

That he mostly failed in the latter had more to do with the strong Prussian holding position and good staff work than any error on the part of Grouchy.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Lucky Generals on 21:11 - Jan 26 with 564 viewsvilanovablue

Lucky Generals on 10:33 - Jan 26 by Keno

I thought I was Gary Player?

It was 😊
Lucky Generals on 21:24 - Jan 26 with 548 viewsNthsuffolkblue

One big difference is that we adjust our style and tactics to suit the game. We are no longer a one-trick pony trying to outscore the opponent. We have more than one game-plan and implement the one that suits the situation best. It is no coincidence that we have both held out with a lead and turned around a match from when we have gone behind. We are tactically far superior than before. All teams will get good and bad luck. We have missed some good chances and had a few decisions go against us as well.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Lucky Generals on 21:54 - Jan 26 with 520 viewsCharlie_pl_baxter

In fairness to McKenna I think he's said much the same. That we play well but switch off at least a couple of times a game. Having Walton in goal helps though!

Poll: We recruit two strikers, one has to be Bonne or Wickham, who would you have?

Lucky Generals on 22:24 - Jan 26 with 511 viewsChurchman

Lucky Generals on 16:19 - Jan 26 by Guthrum

Grouchy had fairly explicit orders from Napoleon to attack and hold the Prussians. Had he marched to join the Emperor, he would have been both disobeying his instructions and risking Blucher (who had a head start) moving his whole army to join Wellington.

That he mostly failed in the latter had more to do with the strong Prussian holding position and good staff work than any error on the part of Grouchy.

Thanks for this. So, if Napoleon had kept Grouchy’s 33k with him, would the battle’s outcome have been different? In theory, he’d have been in a position to block Blucher rather than chase him, surely?
Lucky Generals on 11:22 - Jan 28 with 381 viewssolemio

Lucky Generals on 21:11 - Jan 26 by vilanovablue

It was 😊

Oh no it wasn't.
Lucky Generals on 13:37 - Jan 28 with 341 viewsvilanovablue

Lucky Generals on 11:22 - Jan 28 by solemio

Oh no it wasn't.

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/07/14/luck/

Although I did chuckle :)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024