Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I wonder if this isn't just a thinning of a slightly bloated squad 13:12 - Jan 31 with 1484 viewshomer_123

Nolan and Fraser haven't played much for example.

Wonder if McK is happy with the core squad for now and wants to work a smaller group of players?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

I wonder if this isn't just a thinning of a slightly bloated squad on 13:15 - Jan 31 with 1409 viewsWickets

Stop being sensible ! This is transfer deadline day .
I wonder if this isn't just a thinning of a slightly bloated squad on 13:15 - Jan 31 with 1410 viewstractordownsouth

Yeah I've been a bit confused at people asking who our replacements for Kenlock, Fraser etc will be. They played virtually no part so them not being here makes very little difference in the grand scheme of things. The only position we need is a CB.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

I wonder if this isn't just a thinning of a slightly bloated squad on 13:16 - Jan 31 with 1378 viewsmojo

Could well be Homer. It did feel we were stockpiling players a bit to cover all eventualities with the covid situation. Hopefully now we are coming out of that we can run with a smaller squad.
I wonder if this isn't just a thinning of a slightly bloated squad on 13:17 - Jan 31 with 1349 viewsBeckets

Long overdue. A couple more could go as well. Gives McKenna and his coaches to develop and coach a smaller tight knit squad.
I wonder if this isn't just a thinning of a slightly bloated squad on 13:18 - Jan 31 with 1351 viewsbilllm

Could be just clawing some money back on such a huge outlay for such a poor season, before we go again next season,
I wonder if this isn't just a thinning of a slightly bloated squad on 13:19 - Jan 31 with 1310 viewsIllinoisblue

Indeed. Seems like a much needed correction of the squad after the rather absurd Cook/Ashton shopping spree in the summer.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

I wonder if this isn't just a thinning of a slightly bloated squad on 13:20 - Jan 31 with 1297 viewsLankHenners

Yeah. If both Harper and El-Miz went out on loan I'd be surprised if we didn't look for another CM be it Matete or someone else but Phil's said this morning El-Miz is likely to stay so we're probably done unless something comes up that is too good not to take now.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

I wonder if this isn't just a thinning of a slightly bloated squad on 13:25 - Jan 31 with 1210 viewsSmithy

I wonder if this isn't just a thinning of a slightly bloated squad on 13:15 - Jan 31 by tractordownsouth

Yeah I've been a bit confused at people asking who our replacements for Kenlock, Fraser etc will be. They played virtually no part so them not being here makes very little difference in the grand scheme of things. The only position we need is a CB.

do we really need a CB?? We have Donacien, Edmundson, Woolfenden and Burgess. Signing another one will just stunt the growth of the likes of Baggott and Armin, whilst not forgetting Ndaba is still out on loan.

37 years and counting!
Poll: We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most?

Login to get fewer ads

I wonder if this isn't just a thinning of a slightly bloated squad on 13:28 - Jan 31 with 1151 viewsjayessess

I wonder if this isn't just a thinning of a slightly bloated squad on 13:20 - Jan 31 by LankHenners

Yeah. If both Harper and El-Miz went out on loan I'd be surprised if we didn't look for another CM be it Matete or someone else but Phil's said this morning El-Miz is likely to stay so we're probably done unless something comes up that is too good not to take now.

Even then 4 centre midfielders for 2 spots is a pretty standard squad size really? Ideally you want your third choice for most positions to be a pathway from your U23s to the first team. Centre mid maybe you overload a little and keep a 5th, on grounds that they do more work, but still...
[Post edited 31 Jan 2022 13:53]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

I wonder if this isn't just a thinning of a slightly bloated squad on 13:49 - Jan 31 with 1023 viewsLankHenners

I wonder if this isn't just a thinning of a slightly bloated squad on 13:28 - Jan 31 by jayessess

Even then 4 centre midfielders for 2 spots is a pretty standard squad size really? Ideally you want your third choice for most positions to be a pathway from your U23s to the first team. Centre mid maybe you overload a little and keep a 5th, on grounds that they do more work, but still...
[Post edited 31 Jan 2022 13:53]

Yes though with the 4 we have I'd be a little nervous about Carroll's injury history, plus Evans has had a couple of spells out injured. El Miz as the '5th choice' (though I'd hope if he stays he'll be seen as more than that) gives us enough.

I wonder if this isn't just a thinning of a slightly bloated squad on 13:56 - Jan 31 with 954 viewsChurchman

I wonder if this isn't just a thinning of a slightly bloated squad on 13:18 - Jan 31 by billlm

Could be just clawing some money back on such a huge outlay for such a poor season, before we go again next season,

This huge outlay. Was it? We got rid of a lot of players in the summer and even got money for some of them. Didn’t MA say that transfer fees in/out were more or less neutral? Don’t know about wages, mind.

What isn’t in doubt is that the squad last year was way too big and it looks to me as if this years was in need of trimming too, especially in midfield and the deadwood area.
I wonder if this isn't just a thinning of a slightly bloated squad on 14:00 - Jan 31 with 921 viewsbilllm

I wonder if this isn't just a thinning of a slightly bloated squad on 13:56 - Jan 31 by Churchman

This huge outlay. Was it? We got rid of a lot of players in the summer and even got money for some of them. Didn’t MA say that transfer fees in/out were more or less neutral? Don’t know about wages, mind.

What isn’t in doubt is that the squad last year was way too big and it looks to me as if this years was in need of trimming too, especially in midfield and the deadwood area.

Don't disagree, I'm happy with the clear out, liked Fraser not given a chance in his position, slows it down to much though, wages probably didn't go up much, just more to spend in the summer,
I wonder if this isn't just a thinning of a slightly bloated squad on 14:08 - Jan 31 with 863 viewsjayessess

I wonder if this isn't just a thinning of a slightly bloated squad on 13:49 - Jan 31 by LankHenners

Yes though with the 4 we have I'd be a little nervous about Carroll's injury history, plus Evans has had a couple of spells out injured. El Miz as the '5th choice' (though I'd hope if he stays he'll be seen as more than that) gives us enough.

Yeah, I agree that 5 is probably wise. Also wonder where we're putting Cam Humphreys' development at this point and whether Tommy Hughes' hat trick the other day pricked up any ears.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

I wonder if this isn't just a thinning of a slightly bloated squad on 14:25 - Jan 31 with 776 viewsLankHenners

I wonder if this isn't just a thinning of a slightly bloated squad on 14:08 - Jan 31 by jayessess

Yeah, I agree that 5 is probably wise. Also wonder where we're putting Cam Humphreys' development at this point and whether Tommy Hughes' hat trick the other day pricked up any ears.

Pure speculation but I'd imagine the likes of them aren't going to be so close the the first team picture for now. Would Humphreys play that attacking midfield role when you've already got Aluko, Celina and Chaplin rotating in there? Unlikely.

Hopefully it doesn't get to this point but if we're out of the running for the play-offs with a few games left then we might see some of those types of players to give us the impression they might be involved next season before we spend the yankee dollar in the summer to get ready made players in ahead of them.

I wonder if this isn't just a thinning of a slightly bloated squad on 14:30 - Jan 31 with 728 viewsitfcjoe

Think after Fraser exit (and ignoring Clements or Simpson) it's one in-one out now - i.e. only way Harper goes out on loan is if someone else is coming in - which I think will be the case

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024