Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cricket- something else to discuss this Monday 10:52 - Feb 14 with 2034 viewsGeefunk

What do people think about dropping anderson and broad ? Its pretty major but seems to of gone under the radar, unless cricket is just under the radar?

The only possible way i understand it, is if they are a bad influence in the dressing room. I heard a very long time ago they and particularly broad were incredibly arrogant but then u would imagine most of "the best" are.

I feel it's a terrible decision, these are the absolute best bowlers ever in england and absolute total professionals. The way jimmy looks after himself and is top of his game at virtually 40 is ridiculous. This kind of skill, desire and hunger must have a place

Broadys interview saying he isnt sleeping properly and aches and it may be stress did make me laugh. Of course its stress but it means he has never suffered stress in his life if he doesn't know this. How has he never suffered stress opearting in the top level of sport for well over a decade - incredible !! I also love how he fights so hard when dropped.....this must be credit to his character even if arrogant

These 2 players are legends and i really hope they are not disgarded....

Cricket- something else to discuss this Monday on 19:48 - Feb 15 with 511 viewsAce_High1

Awful decision. The only parts of our Test 11 that worked were SB and JA opening the bowling and Root at 4. I can see why Root goes to 3 as we can then play Bairstow as our new number 4 with Foakes as the Keeper, Stokes at 5, Pope at 6.

We should keep JA and SB in the squad and occasionally rest them but given they don't have long left in time (years) we should make the most of them. JA and SB with one of the younger bowlers would be perfect development.

Archer and Wood as the pace options.

Parkinson has to play as the spinner, pointless taking Leach as he is not good enough. How Woakes has been selected is a mystery. Awful in Aus and offers nothing away from home with the ball. A good squad player in England but not good enough.
Cricket- something else to discuss this Monday on 23:40 - Feb 15 with 472 viewsmylittletown

Cricket- something else to discuss this Monday on 19:48 - Feb 15 by Ace_High1

Awful decision. The only parts of our Test 11 that worked were SB and JA opening the bowling and Root at 4. I can see why Root goes to 3 as we can then play Bairstow as our new number 4 with Foakes as the Keeper, Stokes at 5, Pope at 6.

We should keep JA and SB in the squad and occasionally rest them but given they don't have long left in time (years) we should make the most of them. JA and SB with one of the younger bowlers would be perfect development.

Archer and Wood as the pace options.

Parkinson has to play as the spinner, pointless taking Leach as he is not good enough. How Woakes has been selected is a mystery. Awful in Aus and offers nothing away from home with the ball. A good squad player in England but not good enough.

In England, Woakes is comfortably our best bowler - not a 'squad player'.

Nor is Leach 'not good enough'. When given a decent bowl to a decent field, he proved again that he he can do a good job in difficult conditions.
Cricket- something else to discuss this Monday on 23:50 - Feb 15 with 465 viewsTonytown

Cricket- something else to discuss this Monday on 11:01 - Feb 14 by chicoazul

I just think we need to move on from them. Yes they have been amazing and yes they still are but it feels retrograde to me to stick with them for another couple years. It may be that both of them sticking around is preventing 3 or 4 other bowlers from coming in and learning their trade.
Then again it’s not like our attack is the problem recently! But I think it’s the right call while painful in the short term.

Not exactly a surprise seeing you take a contrary view to the majority who think this is a wrong decision.
Cricket- something else to discuss this Monday on 00:12 - Feb 16 with 451 viewsstonojnr

Cricket- something else to discuss this Monday on 23:40 - Feb 15 by mylittletown

In England, Woakes is comfortably our best bowler - not a 'squad player'.

Nor is Leach 'not good enough'. When given a decent bowl to a decent field, he proved again that he he can do a good job in difficult conditions.

I agree Leach isnt half as bad as he's made out to be by pundits, but we kind of have to face upto the fact whilst Root is captain Leach is never going to get that chance to bowl to a decent field, so why keep picking him.

but is Woakes comfortably our best bowler in England...thats not what the stats say, if you take the period from his debut in 2013 to 2021 and only count home test matches, guess which two bowlers have taken the most wickets ? and significantly more, like more than double the amount.

now to be fair he has only played half the amount of games in that time, so it puts him on a par maybe, but its not even like in the last year the performances have been converging and his are now exceeding theirs.

just taking last years home tests, Woakes was on a par with Broad, but well behind Jimmy in wicket stakes, Robinson was the leading wicket taker, but cant bowl for more than one test match at a time till he sorts out his fitness it seems

and that is going to be very important because its not just the number of wickets Broad and Anderson take that they contribute, or the economy rates, but the sheer volume of overs they bowled,and thats workload the other bowlers now have to pick up.
Cricket- something else to discuss this Monday on 09:39 - Feb 16 with 382 viewsRadlett_blue

Cricket- something else to discuss this Monday on 00:12 - Feb 16 by stonojnr

I agree Leach isnt half as bad as he's made out to be by pundits, but we kind of have to face upto the fact whilst Root is captain Leach is never going to get that chance to bowl to a decent field, so why keep picking him.

but is Woakes comfortably our best bowler in England...thats not what the stats say, if you take the period from his debut in 2013 to 2021 and only count home test matches, guess which two bowlers have taken the most wickets ? and significantly more, like more than double the amount.

now to be fair he has only played half the amount of games in that time, so it puts him on a par maybe, but its not even like in the last year the performances have been converging and his are now exceeding theirs.

just taking last years home tests, Woakes was on a par with Broad, but well behind Jimmy in wicket stakes, Robinson was the leading wicket taker, but cant bowl for more than one test match at a time till he sorts out his fitness it seems

and that is going to be very important because its not just the number of wickets Broad and Anderson take that they contribute, or the economy rates, but the sheer volume of overs they bowled,and thats workload the other bowlers now have to pick up.

I don't think Woakes would be in the side if he wasn't a decent batsman.
Leach hasn't looked good enough, but he's definitely better than Bess, another bowler who wouldn't get a look-in if he couldn't bat. The spin cupboard looks bare, which is less of a problem in home Tests, but this seems a result of the County programme.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Cricket- something else to discuss this Monday on 10:52 - Feb 16 with 369 viewschicoazul

Cricket- something else to discuss this Monday on 23:50 - Feb 15 by Tonytown

Not exactly a surprise seeing you take a contrary view to the majority who think this is a wrong decision.

Thank you for the compliment my friend.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024