Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Never go back 07:47 - Apr 1 with 881 viewsChurchman

This is a bit of a cliche, but i noticed that Defoe has jacked it in after 7 games and a couple of months. Apparently he trained, went home and announced it, to the surprise of the club and Alex Neil.

It was a waste of time and assuming he was paid £5k a week say £50k, Sunderland going anywhere near him. I’m not a fan of bringing back a hasbeen to ‘do a job’, because it rarely works. The one exception I can think of was John Wark who returned twice and was brilliant both times.

[Post edited 1 Apr 2022 7:58]
Never go back on 08:02 - Apr 1 with 796 viewsGlasgowBlue

The timing is odd. There are just a handful of games left and Sunderland have everything to play for. He may have only okayed another five minutes if football for Sunderland but that five minutes could have produced a season defining goal. What not continue until the end of the season?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Never go back on 08:21 - Apr 1 with 743 viewsEdmundo

Never go back on 08:02 - Apr 1 by GlasgowBlue

The timing is odd. There are just a handful of games left and Sunderland have everything to play for. He may have only okayed another five minutes if football for Sunderland but that five minutes could have produced a season defining goal. What not continue until the end of the season?

Maybe he's a secret Town fan and wants us to nick 6th spot?

Poll: Will our competitors in the Championship "find us out" in 2nd half of season
Blog: Blue Sky Thinking

Never go back on 08:27 - Apr 1 with 721 viewsGeoffSentence

Never go back on 08:21 - Apr 1 by Edmundo

Maybe he's a secret Town fan and wants us to nick 6th spot?

He could have given better help by being shlt for Sunderland.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Never go back on 11:16 - Apr 1 with 588 viewsquad

Never go back on 08:27 - Apr 1 by GeoffSentence

He could have given better help by being shlt for Sunderland.

He was wasn't he?
Never go back on 11:33 - Apr 1 with 536 viewsChurchman

Never go back on 11:16 - Apr 1 by quad

He was wasn't he?

They think so. The general consensus was he was washed up. 7 appearances, 5 of those as sub, no goals. To be fair to Defoe, he is 39 - in other words 4 years older than our manager!

He was a terrific player, looked after himself and had a long career. It was still dumb of Sunderland to sign him again in January, in my view.
Never go back on 12:43 - Apr 1 with 439 viewsHipsterectomy

They had a whole fan day to celebrate his return as well as all the media stuff (making him their new twitter banner and things). It’s weird he couldn’t see it out for a few more months even if the money to him was nothing.

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Never go back on 12:46 - Apr 1 with 428 viewsGeoffSentence

We have had some succesful returnees in our time. Warky, as you mentioned, and Tommy Miller spring to mind.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Never go back on 12:58 - Apr 1 with 400 viewsSharkey

Never go back on 12:46 - Apr 1 by GeoffSentence

We have had some succesful returnees in our time. Warky, as you mentioned, and Tommy Miller spring to mind.

And Richard Wright was POTY in his second spell.

(Defoe reminds me more of Sheringham turning out for Colchester, presumably not for the money but just for the 'fun of it', or to do someone a favour. Playing in the Championship, he was the oldest player in all four divisions - a position more normally taken by a goakeeper.)
[Post edited 1 Apr 2022 13:21]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024