Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Latest poll 14:34 - May 31 with 811 viewsHARRY10

Has the Tories on 31% and Labour on 42% - which would translate into 220 and 339 seats respectively - and that is without any tactical voting. A loss of 145 plus Tory MPs.

Should focus a few minds

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-conservatives-poll-boris-j

the figures can be collated here

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/userpoll.html
Latest poll on 15:08 - May 31 with 738 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Tactical voting has increased with each General Election. There were "vote pairing" websites set up prior to the last two GEs so that eg a Lid Dem with no chance in eg London could "swap" votes with a Lab voter in eg the South West.

The Greens and Lib Dems are forming "Progressive Alliances" on some Councils.

I think traditional vote modelling is going to be less and less accurate. The way the BBC reported in the first three or four hours after the Council Elections closed, that Labour had failed, basically, and would make tiny gains, demonstrated that they are oblivious about the rising wave of disgust with Johnson in particular and the Tories in general.

I don't want Labour to win an outright majority, in spite of being a Labour voter, as I believe passionately that the system is broken, that Johnson's destruction of the checks and balances is the pathway to fascism, and that the only hope for the future is a written Constitution and an end to First Past the Post.

A Labour majority feeds the myth that the current system is democratic (it isn't, it is Post-democratic) because "Look! Change is possible!", but as soon as the Tories get back in they will finish the job that Johnson has started.

All of the above is predicated on the increasingly unreasonable assumption that there will be a "Next General Election". There is a view, put forward by reasonable and informed commentators, which I have referenced before, that the end game of the current move towards totalitarianism is a pretext to avoid calling the "Next General Election" on security grounds, and the dissolution of Parliament. All relevant legislation to enable this to happen is now either passed or in process, including the removal of Judicial Review over Ministerial decisions. And it will be too late to protest, as it is now illegal, if the Police decide it is "annoying".

The way things go over the next 30 days with the 54 letters and potential Leadership Election, and two By-Elections, is key to whether or not there will be a "Next General Election".

This all still sounds a bit tin-foil hat to me as I type it. But every single legislative requirement is now in place, or progressing through Parliament.

Hang up the Union Jack Bunting, little people, an old lady has successfully managed to be old!
Latest poll on 16:54 - May 31 with 622 viewsOldsmoker

Polls - Polls - Polls.
They are just a talking point and you can't really rely on them.

At the next election the Tories will make promises and the voters will say...

"But you said that 5 years ago and you didn't do it".
"How do we know you're telling the truth? - you always lie"
"Why are you so cr*p at your job?"

They're not going to get a majority are they?

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Latest poll on 16:59 - May 31 with 608 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Latest poll on 15:08 - May 31 by ArnoldMoorhen

Tactical voting has increased with each General Election. There were "vote pairing" websites set up prior to the last two GEs so that eg a Lid Dem with no chance in eg London could "swap" votes with a Lab voter in eg the South West.

I think traditional vote modelling is going to be less and less accurate. The way the BBC reported in the first three or four hours after the Council Elections closed, that Labour had failed, basically, and would make tiny gains, demonstrated that they are oblivious about the rising wave of disgust with Johnson in particular and the Tories in general.

I don't want Labour to win an outright majority, in spite of being a Labour voter, as I believe passionately that the system is broken, that Johnson's destruction of the checks and balances is the pathway to fascism, and that the only hope for the future is a written Constitution and an end to First Past the Post.

A Labour majority feeds the myth that the current system is democratic (it isn't, it is Post-democratic) because "Look! Change is possible!", but as soon as the Tories get back in they will finish the job that Johnson has started.

All of the above is predicated on the increasingly unreasonable assumption that there will be a "Next General Election". There is a view, put forward by reasonable and informed commentators, which I have referenced before, that the end game of the current move towards totalitarianism is a pretext to avoid calling the "Next General Election" on security grounds, and the dissolution of Parliament. All relevant legislation to enable this to happen is now either passed or in process, including the removal of Judicial Review over Ministerial decisions. And it will be too late to protest, as it is now illegal, if the Police decide it is "annoying".

The way things go over the next 30 days with the 54 letters and potential Leadership Election, and two By-Elections, is key to whether or not there will be a "Next General Election".

This all still sounds a bit tin-foil hat to me as I type it. But every single legislative requirement is now in place, or progressing through Parliament.

Hang up the Union Jack Bunting, little people, an old lady has successfully managed to be old!

Who are these reasonable and informed commentators? Coz that sounds batsh!t mental even for the Tories.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Latest poll on 17:00 - May 31 with 600 viewsXYZ

Labour can't get a majority without Scotland and that's not happening.

Largest party with more Libs, plenty of SNP and, hopefully, at least one more Green.

Then wack through PR in some form and renegotiate the deal with the EU.
Latest poll on 17:32 - May 31 with 516 viewsSwansea_Blue

It does sounds a bit tin foil hat, but if they were going for full blown autocracy then yes you would be expecting them to do what they are doing. Maybe the end game isn’t an elected dictatorship, but rather removing all barriers to their vile ideology within the democratic framework. Hopefully we’ll never get to find out if they can kick these idiots out (installing a sensible replacement, not one of his cabinet cabal).

It’s high time we had a serious think about and reform of our electoral system. I can’t see it happening unfortunately, but it’s needed. A more proportional approach could well have its problems as it makes it harder to get things passed (including good stuff), but it would provide more of a check against what we’ve had lately.

PS, as you mention the Queen she’s supposed to be able to have the ultimate say and can challenge/remove (I think) a rotten government. It makes you wonder how bad things would need to be before she acted. As far as I can see she’s useless constitutionally, but does at least attract tourists (although our royal buildings and castles would still do that if the monarchy had long gone).
[Post edited 31 May 2022 17:35]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Latest poll on 18:09 - May 31 with 479 viewsHARRY10

Latest poll on 17:32 - May 31 by Swansea_Blue

It does sounds a bit tin foil hat, but if they were going for full blown autocracy then yes you would be expecting them to do what they are doing. Maybe the end game isn’t an elected dictatorship, but rather removing all barriers to their vile ideology within the democratic framework. Hopefully we’ll never get to find out if they can kick these idiots out (installing a sensible replacement, not one of his cabinet cabal).

It’s high time we had a serious think about and reform of our electoral system. I can’t see it happening unfortunately, but it’s needed. A more proportional approach could well have its problems as it makes it harder to get things passed (including good stuff), but it would provide more of a check against what we’ve had lately.

PS, as you mention the Queen she’s supposed to be able to have the ultimate say and can challenge/remove (I think) a rotten government. It makes you wonder how bad things would need to be before she acted. As far as I can see she’s useless constitutionally, but does at least attract tourists (although our royal buildings and castles would still do that if the monarchy had long gone).
[Post edited 31 May 2022 17:35]

The way forward is to take away any decision from the voters, and let a half dozen 'greybeards' haggle and do a bit of 'horsetrading in a back toom

Want to know who your MP is, don't worry your pretty little head about that, you'll be told soon enough - about a month OT so after you have voted

Don't expect us to stick to the manifesto, just as the Libdems we woll trade anything away to get a seat at the table.

In fact juts vote for us, and we'll do the rest

Still, the DUP have shown that if you are ready to fall in line - you can get really shafted....shades of the two Davids, Owen and Steele.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024