Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Balls 17:23 - Jun 2 with 1708 viewswrightsrightglove

Feel like adding Ball to the squad makes real sense if we add a ‘left sided Burns’ to the squad, it’ll mean that both Burns and the LWB can join attacks at the same time and Ball can drop back into defence to cover any counter rather than it always having to be either Burns or the LWB in attack while the other sits. I think he could be a really important player for us this season.
Balls on 18:15 - Jun 2 with 1608 viewsjayessess

Cook's "box defence" but without trying to build it around Rakeem Harper!

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Balls on 18:26 - Jun 2 with 1594 viewsStourbridgeblue

Wales's # 9 LWB was pretty good last night. Worth a punt? ;-)

Poll: What do you want on Sunday?

Balls on 18:46 - Jun 2 with 1587 viewsPhilTWTD

I don't think the plan is to add a left-sided Burns, the formation is deliberately asymmetric with Burns more advanced than his counterpart on the other flank. Don't disagree with you that Balls will help provide a platform for attacks from wide.
Balls on 20:19 - Jun 2 with 1422 viewsBigCommon

If he's the midfield wrecking ball that I've pictured him as.. Then it should give license for not only Morsy (or A.N. Other) to get forward more freely in support. But also, with his ability to play along the back. Ball can slot in and cover, seamlessly, when , for instance, Woolfy or JD drives forwards... Shades of the Dutch "total football" of the 70's, whereby, defensive and midfield players can interchange, at times.. Not only spreading the energy expenditure around the side. But also, making it harder for opposition players in the MF, to predict who to pick up. Very effective against more rigid formations. Pulls opposition about and creates spaces and channels to play through.... I'm quite excited about the Ball signing. Even if he's not a flair player. Sometimes you need a workhorse, to allow the more creative players to do their thing... Think we are all intrigued to see who comes in at LWB, too. But I'm not writing off Penney, completely. I feel, that with better covering midfield, someone like Penney will shine more, getting up the pitch, with us less likely getting caught on the counter... Think Penney could still have a squad role to play...
Balls on 20:43 - Jun 2 with 1388 viewswrightsrightglove

Balls on 18:46 - Jun 2 by PhilTWTD

I don't think the plan is to add a left-sided Burns, the formation is deliberately asymmetric with Burns more advanced than his counterpart on the other flank. Don't disagree with you that Balls will help provide a platform for attacks from wide.

Do we think Thompson will be back in that case Phil? Solid defensively if not amazing going forwards.
Balls on 21:50 - Jun 2 with 1278 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Balls on 18:26 - Jun 2 by Stourbridgeblue

Wales's # 9 LWB was pretty good last night. Worth a punt? ;-)

I think the problem there is that we would have to lose RWB Burns if we were to secure him.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Balls on 23:08 - Jun 2 with 1194 viewsPhilTWTD

Balls on 20:43 - Jun 2 by wrightsrightglove

Do we think Thompson will be back in that case Phil? Solid defensively if not amazing going forwards.

I'm not sure he did enough, but whether KMC saw more in him in training I don't know. But my guess is not.
Balls on 02:21 - Jun 3 with 1032 viewsIllinoisblue

Balls on 18:46 - Jun 2 by PhilTWTD

Isn’t that a little weird to deliberately set out to be not as threatening on one side of the field?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Login to get fewer ads

Balls on 07:32 - Jun 3 with 876 viewsVeggie

Maybe this is going to be our marquee signing this season. The one we spend big(gish) money on and get someone in a left wing back position that really gives us that presence we need to go for promotion. I hope so anyway.
Balls on 07:36 - Jun 3 with 873 viewsVeggie

Balls on 02:21 - Jun 3 by Illinoisblue

Isn’t that a little weird to deliberately set out to be not as threatening on one side of the field?

Yeah I agree with you here. A lot of people have said similar, that the left back sits to allow Burns to roam forward. But most successful teams that use wing backs have two roving forward (Liverpool being the obvious case). It’s also been identified that we don’t create enough chances for our strikers. Not surprising when we only attack down one flank. Two attacking wing backs means double the crosses. There’s no way KMc won’t be looking to address this.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2022 7:37]
Balls on 09:02 - Jun 3 with 770 viewsGuthrum

Tho it does mess up usual opposition formations and allow an overload on the more attacking flank. Besides which, few teams below the topmost level are equally dangerous down both sides (can't afford that many very good wingers/wing-backs), so it's just acknowlegement of an existing situation.

Even in 2014-15 we were far stronger down the left (Mings/Tabb/Hunt) than on the right (Chambers/Parr/Anderson/Varney). Edit: Robson sometimes used to put out unbalanced formations, as well.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2022 9:18]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Balls on 09:12 - Jun 3 with 751 viewsPhilTWTD

I think the system has been about suiting the personnel. Burns is more forward-focused than is usually the case with wing-backs and JD suits the centre-half/right-back role he plays. George Edmundson doesn't have the same attributes on the other side so the left wing-back isn't expected to be quite as advanced as WB on the other side, which isn't to say they don't get involved going forward, just that the balance is different.
Balls on 12:41 - Jun 3 with 583 viewsTomTheWriter

Balls on 07:36 - Jun 3 by Veggie

Yeah I agree with you here. A lot of people have said similar, that the left back sits to allow Burns to roam forward. But most successful teams that use wing backs have two roving forward (Liverpool being the obvious case). It’s also been identified that we don’t create enough chances for our strikers. Not surprising when we only attack down one flank. Two attacking wing backs means double the crosses. There’s no way KMc won’t be looking to address this.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2022 7:37]

That’s why I believe McKenna will look to introduce Ndaba into the starting XI at some point in the near future. If you had him at LCB and JD/Edmundson at RCB then you are able to fluidly move your three CB’s around to create a 4-2-3-1 variant.

Even the possibility that McKenna is going to have Ball as the first choice RCM because he can cover in defence, allowing the two wing-backs to go forward when needed and he sits ahead of the three CB’s; maybe even dropping closer to Woolfenden and pushing the LCB and RCB slightly further wide. Essentially a 3-1-4-2/3-1-3-3 with Ball holding fort in front of the defence, who themselves can roam forward when needed.

Essentially, we just need athletic, gung-ho players with two workhorses in midfield. We saw what happens when Burns gets doubled up. Evidenced on the final day when Penney had the whole left side open and he sat in line with Baggott

Blog: Where to Exploit and How to Avoid Being Exploited - Brentford

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024