Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
US police not being racist - part 743 13:34 - Aug 4 with 1202 viewsSteve_M

I suppose he should be grateful not to have been shot:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/aug/04/boston-police-chasing-white-susp

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

US police not being racist - part 743 on 14:09 - Aug 4 with 1129 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

I hope he gets some compensation. I’m sure the police definitely won’t try to cover for each other.
US police not being racist - part 743 on 17:06 - Aug 4 with 1051 viewsjeera

"Why are we still bothering with taking the knee?"

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

US police not being racist - part 743 on 01:40 - Aug 5 with 950 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

It’s terrible that there is still racism existing in police forces and bad actors out there. They should be rooted out and held accountable, that goes without saying.

However, a lot of experts on macro level American policing from these media reports.

I wonder how many interactions law enforcement have with citizens every single day in a country of 350M. Being a copper in America is probably as dangerous as gets right now.

To band together “US police” like it’s is one huge white supremacist group is getting tiring. Violent crime and murder rates are up ten fold in many places post Covid. I’ve read a good few stories in my local news of police taking their own lives they’re under so much pressure. The numbers of new recruits is massively down and so many took retirement over the last few years. Police leave is constantly getting cancelled and they’re on the back foot.

Not to mention those that go out in the line of duty in a country that has major problems with gang / gun violence and never go home to their families.

I wonder if people even realize their are forces that are predominantly black in cities like Altanta and Philly.

America society doesn’t just exist from the lense of the Guardian.

https://blockclubchicago.org/2022/07/20/cops-in-crisis-after-3-officers-die-of-s
[Post edited 5 Aug 2022 2:02]
US police not being racist - part 743 on 07:33 - Aug 5 with 865 viewsElephantintheRoom

As should you as you are now effectively owned by Arizona’s finest and are ‘running towards danger’

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

US police not being racist - part 743 on 08:02 - Aug 5 with 834 viewsGlasgowBlue

US police not being racist - part 743 on 07:33 - Aug 5 by ElephantintheRoom

As should you as you are now effectively owned by Arizona’s finest and are ‘running towards danger’

It’s difficult.

When you read Jason Schechterle‘a story it is impossible not to be moved by his courage. Dip into his twitter feed and it’s heartbreaking to read about the number of officers he is honouring after they lost their lives in the line of duty.

So just a few days after the club hosted this inspirational former officer, it’s uncomfortable to see Steve’s post.

But what to do? Racism should not be ignored. It has to be called out.

A great number of police officers are brave, dedicated public servants whose vocation is to keep the public safe and uphold the law. Sadly, as we are seeing all too often, there are also a huge number of officers who hold racist views, and these views have manifested in violence against innocent black males. Innocent people have been murdered because if the colour of their skin.

So it’s not incompatible to agree with Steve’s op and JJJ’s defence of the police in America. It’s not incompatible to be incredibly proud of our (odd you refer to it as your) club’s association with Arizona public servants who put their lives in danger every single day whilst highlighting vile racism where it exists.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2022 8:05]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

US police not being racist - part 743 on 08:04 - Aug 5 with 828 viewsDanTheMan

US police not being racist - part 743 on 08:02 - Aug 5 by GlasgowBlue

It’s difficult.

When you read Jason Schechterle‘a story it is impossible not to be moved by his courage. Dip into his twitter feed and it’s heartbreaking to read about the number of officers he is honouring after they lost their lives in the line of duty.

So just a few days after the club hosted this inspirational former officer, it’s uncomfortable to see Steve’s post.

But what to do? Racism should not be ignored. It has to be called out.

A great number of police officers are brave, dedicated public servants whose vocation is to keep the public safe and uphold the law. Sadly, as we are seeing all too often, there are also a huge number of officers who hold racist views, and these views have manifested in violence against innocent black males. Innocent people have been murdered because if the colour of their skin.

So it’s not incompatible to agree with Steve’s op and JJJ’s defence of the police in America. It’s not incompatible to be incredibly proud of our (odd you refer to it as your) club’s association with Arizona public servants who put their lives in danger every single day whilst highlighting vile racism where it exists.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2022 8:05]

From what little I've read, a lot of the criticism isn't aimed at the individual officers (of which
I am sure there are many good ones) but the institutions as a whole.

Same here with the Met.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

US police not being racist - part 743 on 08:28 - Aug 5 with 770 viewsLord_Lucan

US police not being racist - part 743 on 01:40 - Aug 5 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

It’s terrible that there is still racism existing in police forces and bad actors out there. They should be rooted out and held accountable, that goes without saying.

However, a lot of experts on macro level American policing from these media reports.

I wonder how many interactions law enforcement have with citizens every single day in a country of 350M. Being a copper in America is probably as dangerous as gets right now.

To band together “US police” like it’s is one huge white supremacist group is getting tiring. Violent crime and murder rates are up ten fold in many places post Covid. I’ve read a good few stories in my local news of police taking their own lives they’re under so much pressure. The numbers of new recruits is massively down and so many took retirement over the last few years. Police leave is constantly getting cancelled and they’re on the back foot.

Not to mention those that go out in the line of duty in a country that has major problems with gang / gun violence and never go home to their families.

I wonder if people even realize their are forces that are predominantly black in cities like Altanta and Philly.

https://blockclubchicago.org/2022/07/20/cops-in-crisis-after-3-officers-die-of-s

I guess there are also many many similar incidents when a copper puts his knee on a white mans neck but news is news and papers need to be sold, it's a business after all.

That said, there is obviously a fair amount of racism going down with all countries police forces so I think it's important that things are reported and highlighted.

Is this kneeling on a neck thing part of police training? If not it should be instant dismissal.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

US police not being racist - part 743 on 08:51 - Aug 5 with 724 viewsunbelievablue

Did you watch We Own This City in the end? Brilliant.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Login to get fewer ads

US police not being racist - part 743 on 08:58 - Aug 5 with 720 viewsunbelievablue

This is a well argued post. Anyone who says you have an agenda is being disingenuous.

From what I've read one of the big problems (and this is coming from me, mr lefty) are the police unions over there. They seem unwilling to do what you've said in that first line (root out and hold accountable the racists officers).

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

US police not being racist - part 743 on 14:53 - Aug 5 with 643 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

US police not being racist - part 743 on 08:28 - Aug 5 by Lord_Lucan

I guess there are also many many similar incidents when a copper puts his knee on a white mans neck but news is news and papers need to be sold, it's a business after all.

That said, there is obviously a fair amount of racism going down with all countries police forces so I think it's important that things are reported and highlighted.

Is this kneeling on a neck thing part of police training? If not it should be instant dismissal.

Well here’s a good test for you? Have you heard of Daniel Shaver? Watch that video after a quick Google.

In a country of over 350M and and 400M guns you’re going to get trigger happy bad officers unfortunately. These often lead to tragic consequences but they don’t represent all of their colleagues. You’re also going to get offices terrified of being shot themselves. It’s a very bad cycle.

Racist social housing policies of the Crow era means there are likely going to be a disproportionate amount of interactions with African Americans (and other minorities) compared to the total population. That’s the cycle of crime and poverty and speaks to deep rooted socioeconomic issues. For a country is all this wealth it’s been terrible at addressing these issues at a local level over the years.

What does frustrate me is the media obsession with making some incidents global news and creates and overwhelming bad perception. You’d be very surprised at the local stories that you don’t hear about.

I think there is something like 700k officers in the states from every single background imaginable. I’ve seen dozens of thread like on here lumping them all together. That’s clearly media driven when I’d argue the vast majority of them are trying to help their communities and have a very hard and dangerous job. That article I posted is pretty heart breaking and mirrored around the country at the moment.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2022 14:54]
US police not being racist - part 743 on 15:04 - Aug 5 with 618 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

US police not being racist - part 743 on 08:58 - Aug 5 by unbelievablue

This is a well argued post. Anyone who says you have an agenda is being disingenuous.

From what I've read one of the big problems (and this is coming from me, mr lefty) are the police unions over there. They seem unwilling to do what you've said in that first line (root out and hold accountable the racists officers).

They always protect their own and some of training needs a big overhaul as well. At least that is from the limited inside information I know on the topic. Used to occasionally drink with V’s mate in PHL, he was pretty high up in their old bill and now owns a bar (you’ve been there actually). A good honest bloke though, so was an interesting perspective.

Problem is also there are just so many different forces in every county and they all take on their own identity, even those in very close quarters. The big inner city forces budgets have also been massively mismanaged from what I’ve read. Hardly a surprise when you look at local governments in some of these cities.

Post George Floyd so many have left the police for numerous reasons and none of them can recruit. All of it has just made the country less safe and more divided. Not good.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024