Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Betting advice please. 14:58 - Aug 15 with 3187 viewsfabian_illness

I'm no betting man, but would welcome some advice on a bet placed by my father in law. He's 70 and not an online gambler, just maybe the grand national and the odd speedway GP if odds are available, made at one of the local bookies shops.
He's a big speedway fan, so phoned Saturday morning to see if there was betting on the Cardiff GP. He was told yes and given odds for the 3 riders he'd picked. So he went down the shop, the lady behind the counter wrote his slip with all 3 riders and their respective odds, £10 on each rider, he took the printout and went home.
Dan Bewley came in winner at 100/1 as quoted by bookmakers.
He went down this morning to collect his winnings and the shop manager has refused it saying there's been a mistake. She fobbed him off with £150 and told him to phone the ombudsman saying they won't do anything so make do with the £150.

What's the score good people of twtd?
Betting advice please. on 09:43 - Aug 16 with 730 viewsFunge

Betting advice please. on 09:40 - Aug 16 by J2BLUE

To be honest, as odd as it sounds, he was lucky to get paid out anything.

In my experience most bookies will actually void the bet in these circumstances. I had a similar situation years ago during a women's world cup. Some Italian player was something like 16/1 to score any time but she was a striker and had been banging them in for her club. Betfred said the correct odds were much lower (can't remember exactly) and it was an error. Rather than paying out at lower odds they just voided it.

In a fishpond of scumbags, Betfred are a particularly greasy pike.

It takes some effort to be considered the *worst* bookmaker, but Fred, alongside perhaps Boyle Sports, manage it.

Fck Betfred.
Betting advice please. on 09:49 - Aug 16 with 726 viewsclive_baker

In my experience most bookies will actually void the bet in these circumstances. I had a similar situation years ago during a women's world cup. Some Italian player was something like 16/1 to score any time but she was a striker and had been banging them in for her club. Betfred said the correct odds were much lower (can't remember exactly) and it was an error. Rather than paying out at lower odds they just voided it.

That's such BS. I would say a binding contract has been made at the point of purchase, that would feel more consistent with other forms of retail and consumer law.

I hate bookies.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Betting advice please. on 12:31 - Aug 16 with 665 viewsRadlett_blue

Generally, the "palpable error" rule is fair. If some dim-wit has given 100-1 on a 10-1 shot it's not unreasonable for the odds to be reduced to what was available at the bookie concerned, or generally available. This rule does not cover an error of judgement over a price, which was what occurred when 2 Essex boys won several £m from various back-street bookies after getting ridiculously generous odds (about 50-1) against a hole in one being scored at The Open & various other golf tournaments. Sporting Life's Green Seal Service, which was often used to arbitrate in betting disputes, told the bookies to pay out. Some still refused so the Essex boys objected to these shops' next renewal of licence by the magistrates.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Betting advice please. on 12:45 - Aug 16 with 661 viewsSkip_Intro

Betting advice please. on 09:49 - Aug 16 by clive_baker

That's such BS. I would say a binding contract has been made at the point of purchase, that would feel more consistent with other forms of retail and consumer law.

I hate bookies.

if a shop mistakenly marks up a £1000 item at £15 and you try to buy it they can simply refuse to sell it to you...same principle here I guess, although as others have said the bookie could've just voided the bet rather than paying out the actual odds...
Betting advice please. on 13:41 - Aug 16 with 638 viewsRadlett_blue

Betting advice please. on 12:45 - Aug 16 by Skip_Intro

if a shop mistakenly marks up a £1000 item at £15 and you try to buy it they can simply refuse to sell it to you...same principle here I guess, although as others have said the bookie could've just voided the bet rather than paying out the actual odds...

I very much doubt a bookmaker would void a winning bet without good reason. From my experience, they will try to settle at the odds generally available. They also have a long list of rules.
If a bookmaker refuses to pay out, you can try the Independent Betting Adjudication Service, Tattersalls Committee or the Gambling Commission. But you might not always like the verdict.
Phil Tilson from Mansfield placed a tricast bet on the 1993 Derby, in which Commander in Chief won, ahead of two 150-1 shots. when Tilson turned up to collect, Ladbrokes told him they hadn't been offering tricast bets on the Derby & told him his bets would be treated as dual forecasts, which would have given him £728. Tilson mounted a media campaign & Ladbrokes offered him £33,000. He refused to accept this as if Ladbrokes had been offering a tricast, his return would have been £116,400 & appealed to Tattersalls Committee, who found in Ladbrokes favour so he was back to £728. Then, Ladbrokes discovered that Tilson had been only 17 when the bet was placed so it was void & they returned his stake of £4.40.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Betting advice please. on 13:44 - Aug 16 with 633 viewsclive_baker

Betting advice please. on 12:45 - Aug 16 by Skip_Intro

If they have that conversation before he pays and say for example 'actually that poster is wrong, it's 10/1 not 100/1' then fair enough, they have no obligation to sell it at the advertised price, like any other shop.

But that isn't what happned here, he's already bought it. It's more comparable with buying a £1000 item that was mistakenly priced at £15 them then calling you 2 days later and asking for £985.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Betting advice please. on 13:55 - Aug 16 with 606 viewsJ2BLUE

Betting advice please. on 12:31 - Aug 16 by Radlett_blue

Generally, the "palpable error" rule is fair. If some dim-wit has given 100-1 on a 10-1 shot it's not unreasonable for the odds to be reduced to what was available at the bookie concerned, or generally available. This rule does not cover an error of judgement over a price, which was what occurred when 2 Essex boys won several £m from various back-street bookies after getting ridiculously generous odds (about 50-1) against a hole in one being scored at The Open & various other golf tournaments. Sporting Life's Green Seal Service, which was often used to arbitrate in betting disputes, told the bookies to pay out. Some still refused so the Essex boys objected to these shops' next renewal of licence by the magistrates.

Betting companies generally operate like legalised gangsters.

They do what they want.

Like Rommers, I work in the industry and some of the things I see them do is just amazing. No other industry would get away with banning anyone that wins money and pushing people they know probably can't afford it to gamble more.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Betting advice please. on 14:23 - Aug 16 with 564 viewsfabian_illness

This has made very interesting reading.
I have a photo of the betting slip as scanned in by the shop, but obviously reticent to post, obviously won't help anything now anyway.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024