Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mr Ovo has solved the energy crisis 13:36 - Sep 1 with 1183 viewsMookamoo

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62742303

Short-term plans

Bring forward the £400 energy rebate - well yes, that would be a start...

Increase funding for debt advisory charities - Should someone not have the foresight to consider this already? No, of course they haven't because we have a sack of onions still in charge

Set up a fuel Poverty Task Force to identify households most at risk - would be easier to identify those not at risk. What absolute guff and what about businesses?

Medium-term plans

Abolish the prepayment meter "penalty", which sees prepayment customers paying more than those on direct debit - Why is that still a thing?

Subsidise bills though a Tariff Deficit Fund, which would be repaid over several years - Mr Fitzpatrick just want to make sure he gets his money, or at least a debt he can bundle and sell on. He is just getting twitchy about the amount of people defaulting

Abolish the standing charge that customers pay - Hmmm - why is he saying that? Friend just had a wood burner installed, which involved moving the electricity supply wires away from the chimney - that was covered by the standing charge. Without it she would have faced a bill of £2000. I'd like to see if this move favours the suppliers in the long term.

Mobilise a national effort to insulate UK homes - Again, should already be underway. Commission cost effective solar panels and ground source heating and get them mass produced at a subsidised cost to households. Ramp up production as if we're on a war footing, which we should be.

Long-term plans

Establish a single strategic buyer for all the UK's energy needs. - What? Like a Nationalised energy supplier?

Bring back the Department of Energy and Climate Change - Yep, the one canned my Theresa May.

Introduce a carbon tax - Not sure that would help reduce the cost of energy to households. Thats just something to write on the end of a list to make the list look bigger.
Mr Ovo has solved the energy crisis on 13:41 - Sep 1 with 1126 viewsJ2BLUE

The chancellor said households earning less than £45,000 would need help. Gradually the Tories are falling back to "those who need it most".

I'm expecting less than the bare minimum to be given to people on benefits and a large part of the population to be left to get crushed.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Mr Ovo has solved the energy crisis on 13:44 - Sep 1 with 1083 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Though they are largely insufficient measures, it’s quite tragic that a private energy firms has actually come up with more ideas than our MIA ‘government’.
Mr Ovo has solved the energy crisis on 13:51 - Sep 1 with 1042 viewsSwansea_Blue

It's only through the comms of some of these energy companies and people like Martin Lewis that you realise how utterly rubbish the government have been on this. There should be a plan in place already rather than vague wishy washy hints of something being done. I suspect a lot of these suggestions will fall on deaf ears in the government or in Ofgem.

Ovo itself haven't been doing well lately - over £100m loss in 2019 and about £7m loss in 2020 are the latest figures I've seen reported. Not that I like them though - the ****s broke into a former home we were renting when we were out, installed a pre-pay meter and changed the locks, as a previous tenant had an unpaid bill we didn't know about. They tried to hold me responsible for the bill too, but I told them where to go in no uncertain terms. Utter w@ankers as far as I'm concerned, but not responsible for the current price rises.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Mr Ovo has solved the energy crisis on 14:00 - Sep 1 with 965 viewsPinewoodblue

Think we can assume that civil servants have drawn up a comprehensive list of options but nothing is being done so that our ‘new’ PM can take the credit.

Not that I like the man but I’m sure Boris would have acted ages ago had no not been forced out.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Mr Ovo has solved the energy crisis on 14:07 - Sep 1 with 910 viewsSwansea_Blue

Mr Ovo has solved the energy crisis on 14:00 - Sep 1 by Pinewoodblue

Think we can assume that civil servants have drawn up a comprehensive list of options but nothing is being done so that our ‘new’ PM can take the credit.

Not that I like the man but I’m sure Boris would have acted ages ago had no not been forced out.

You'd like to hope that's the case. Although given the track record of this zombie government, there's also the possibility that nothing's been done.

Not long to wait now. If we get details of a comprehensive rescue package next week with clear explanations of how people and business can claim help, then we'll know they were just delaying the announcement. I'm not holding my breath though.

Mr Ovo has solved the energy crisis on 14:18 - Sep 1 with 850 viewsSwansea_Blue

PS. Silly me, I didn't realise Johnson had given a speech about this today and now has all the answers. We've all got to buy new kettles apparently.

He's such a div. He's incapable of operating strategically.

Mr Ovo has solved the energy crisis on 14:23 - Sep 1 with 829 viewsMookamoo

Mr Ovo has solved the energy crisis on 14:18 - Sep 1 by Swansea_Blue

PS. Silly me, I didn't realise Johnson had given a speech about this today and now has all the answers. We've all got to buy new kettles apparently.

He's such a div. He's incapable of operating strategically.

Wait for his non-executive director post at Russell Hobbs to be announced next week.
Mr Ovo has solved the energy crisis on 17:02 - Sep 1 with 679 viewsfactual_blue

Mr Ovo has solved the energy crisis on 14:07 - Sep 1 by Swansea_Blue

You'd like to hope that's the case. Although given the track record of this zombie government, there's also the possibility that nothing's been done.

Not long to wait now. If we get details of a comprehensive rescue package next week with clear explanations of how people and business can claim help, then we'll know they were just delaying the announcement. I'm not holding my breath though.

I suspect the Civil Service stopped paying attention to boris a long time ago. They'll have prepared a long list of options. I have serious doubts that truss will back any that will make any difference to ordinary people.

#donttrusttruss

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Login to get fewer ads

Mr Ovo has solved the energy crisis on 17:15 - Sep 1 with 648 viewsPinewoodblue

Mr Ovo has solved the energy crisis on 17:02 - Sep 1 by factual_blue

I suspect the Civil Service stopped paying attention to boris a long time ago. They'll have prepared a long list of options. I have serious doubts that truss will back any that will make any difference to ordinary people.

#donttrusttruss

Suspect she will help businesses and keep people in jobs.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Mr Ovo has solved the energy crisis on 17:59 - Sep 1 with 588 viewsfactual_blue

Mr Ovo has solved the energy crisis on 17:15 - Sep 1 by Pinewoodblue

Suspect she will help businesses and keep people in jobs.

In that case the businesses she'll help will be hedge funds, and the people she'll keep in jobs will be hedge fund managers.

Gotta keep those donations flowing, come what may.

#fiddlingwhileromeburns

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024