Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Concerning performance.... But please note this team is great, love our manager 10:54 - Sep 20 with 1883 viewsStuartSlater

Okay apart from the odd moment and a really good first goal.... I was disappointed with our performance overall on Saturday. Despite the ridiculous offside goal .... A draw was about right.

The problem I think is we are quite rigid at the moment and when it goes well as usually it has done it works well ... But on Saturday we seemed to lack ideas... Evans who has been our best player this season, has a.great range of passes but they don't unlock doors when the door is stubborn... I know it was a saga and we all got bored but I am gutted we missed out on Celina as he has that extra bit of quality, I do think Humphreys could potentially do the job. Also Edwards was incredible in Papa John's and perhaps he could of come on the pitch earlier.

The team also looked a bit tired.... But that is league 1 relentless.

But and this is a big ohhhh my goodness but..... I'm talking an American junk food but..... I love this team , feel proper proud to be a fan and am quitely confident

Poll: Craig Bellamy - Bell end or Misunderstood

Concerning performance.... But please note this team is great, love our manager on 11:11 - Sep 20 with 1804 viewsSteve_M

You have to make allowances for how good the opposition were.

The last 15 minutes were disappointing but it doesn't really need loads of analysis, we couldn't keep the ball late in the game as both Ladapo and Harness played well below the level they had previously.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Concerning performance.... But please note this team is great, love our manager on 11:23 - Sep 20 with 1723 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

I'm not too concerned about that performance in isolation. I thought both teams were poor tbh.

I am concerned at our consistent failure over many seasons to beat the top 6 teams, especially two up with under 20 mins left.

We have two more chances to do that in the next two weeks. We need to win one of those, or we are in the flat track bully territory.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Concerning performance.... But please note this team is great, love our manager on 11:35 - Sep 20 with 1657 viewsFrimleyBlue

What is a positive is that there are very simple discussions for KM to have with a few players to ensure we don't end games like we did on Saturday.

Burns - not going into the corner and trying to keep the ball very late on... there was no need to take the risk and try to get into the area at that point...

ladapo... very dissapointing 'defending' in that freekick, stick with his man and he gets to the ball first and the goal doesn't happen, we stay 2-0 up.

I rather see goals condeded following individual errors that can be discussed, over being cut apart from a side and not really having specific problems to address.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Concerning performance.... But please note this team is great, love our manager on 11:46 - Sep 20 with 1606 viewsjayessess

I think "concerning" is probably a little precipitate at this point?

Sheffield Wednesday's players are as good as ours (some of them better even) and I'm pretty sure the first 15-20 minutes were their maximum intensity levels. We coped with that perfectly well, didn't give up any clear opportunities and had a plan for how to hurt them which came off admirably.

Once their early storm had blown out, they've not had a serious effort on goal for the next 50 minutes really. I think the idea that you'll regularly manage a lot more than that in an away game against a direct rival for promotion is probably a bit over ambitious.

What happens after the 74th minute isn't great admittedly. Once Wednesday scored momentum took over and we retreated. What happens after that is less about fitness and more about game state. You go from 2-0 to 2-1 the losing team, that's looked buried for the last 20 minutes, suddenly pushes on, the winning team that was controlling things comfortably, retreats and the press loses cohesion. McKenna tried to have us settle into a low block and hold out, which we might have done with a more sympathetic linesman.

For me, our performance between minute 20 and minute 74 is us and we've replicated it in most of our other away games. The bit between 74 and 90 is not something that's going to happen in other games, because most other teams aren't Sheffield Wednesday and don't play in front of a big crowd like Hillsborough.

One thing I think we might address is conceding immediately after scoring. We did it twice against Barnsley and once on Saturday.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2022 12:02]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Concerning performance.... But please note this team is great, love our manager on 11:52 - Sep 20 with 1563 viewsChrisd

Concerning performance.... But please note this team is great, love our manager on 11:46 - Sep 20 by jayessess

I think "concerning" is probably a little precipitate at this point?

Sheffield Wednesday's players are as good as ours (some of them better even) and I'm pretty sure the first 15-20 minutes were their maximum intensity levels. We coped with that perfectly well, didn't give up any clear opportunities and had a plan for how to hurt them which came off admirably.

Once their early storm had blown out, they've not had a serious effort on goal for the next 50 minutes really. I think the idea that you'll regularly manage a lot more than that in an away game against a direct rival for promotion is probably a bit over ambitious.

What happens after the 74th minute isn't great admittedly. Once Wednesday scored momentum took over and we retreated. What happens after that is less about fitness and more about game state. You go from 2-0 to 2-1 the losing team, that's looked buried for the last 20 minutes, suddenly pushes on, the winning team that was controlling things comfortably, retreats and the press loses cohesion. McKenna tried to have us settle into a low block and hold out, which we might have done with a more sympathetic linesman.

For me, our performance between minute 20 and minute 74 is us and we've replicated it in most of our other away games. The bit between 74 and 90 is not something that's going to happen in other games, because most other teams aren't Sheffield Wednesday and don't play in front of a big crowd like Hillsborough.

One thing I think we might address is conceding immediately after scoring. We did it twice against Barnsley and once on Saturday.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2022 12:02]

Yes, good point Jayessess. Perhaps we subconsciously switch off after we've scored? For most teams it does seem a vulnerable time, but we need to get out of that habit and sharpish.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Concerning performance.... But please note this team is great, love our manager on 11:54 - Sep 20 with 1560 viewsIllinoisblue

Surely the encouraging thing - when assessing our prospects for the season as a whole - is that we so far have really had only brief moments of playing poorly over 90 minutes. We’re not turning up and s5itting the bed generally speaking.

From memory, first 15 v. Bolton was poor and certainly last 15 v Sheff Weds was not good enough. Also v Weds, as KMac said pre game they did much better than us last season, have an excellent squad and were more recently in the championship. The idea we’re just going to stroll in there and have it all our own way is unrealistic.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Concerning performance.... But please note this team is great, love our manager on 12:16 - Sep 20 with 1470 viewsjayessess

Concerning performance.... But please note this team is great, love our manager on 11:52 - Sep 20 by Chrisd

Yes, good point Jayessess. Perhaps we subconsciously switch off after we've scored? For most teams it does seem a vulnerable time, but we need to get out of that habit and sharpish.

Barnsley's 2nd and Wednesday's 1st are both about us struggling to get the ball down and get quality possession. Lots of rushed clearances that are neither winning us territory, nor finding anyone time and space to settle.

So much of our good defensive record is about starving the opposition of possession in our 3rd.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2022 12:38]

Concerning performance.... But please note this team is great, love our manager on 12:27 - Sep 20 with 1429 viewsBlueBadger

Concerning performance.... But please note this team is great, love our manager on 11:23 - Sep 20 by TRUE_BLUE123

I'm not too concerned about that performance in isolation. I thought both teams were poor tbh.

I am concerned at our consistent failure over many seasons to beat the top 6 teams, especially two up with under 20 mins left.

We have two more chances to do that in the next two weeks. We need to win one of those, or we are in the flat track bully territory.

We haven't beaten anyone above us in the league this season....

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

Concerning performance.... But please note this team is great, love our manager on 12:36 - Sep 20 with 1357 viewsLeoMuff

I thought considering the opposition and the fact we were away, we were good for 74 mins, like others have said they are very good at league 1 level and at home, we are going to be under pressure, we handled the initial onslaught and took control after that, possession wise I think we were 54% at 74 mins and they were buried. We were creating chances in the second half, just undone by lapses for thefreekick, then we panicked,didn’t play our normal game.

There was lots to be positive about, last season we didn’t lay a hand on them at Hillsborogh from my vague memories

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Concerning performance.... But please note this team is great, love our manager on 12:47 - Sep 20 with 1302 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Concerning performance.... But please note this team is great, love our manager on 12:27 - Sep 20 by BlueBadger

Impressive isn't it

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Concerning performance.... But please note this team is great, love our manager on 12:53 - Sep 20 with 1266 viewsSamWhiteUK

How much have you seen of Humphreys, out of interest?
Concerning performance.... But please note this team is great, love our manager on 14:54 - Sep 20 with 1019 viewsBlueBadger

Concerning performance.... But please note this team is great, love our manager on 12:47 - Sep 20 by TRUE_BLUE123

Impressive isn't it

Woth also pointing out that we *have* beaten a top 6 side. It's just that the ref for that game says that we didn't.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Concerning performance.... But please note this team is great, love our manager on 15:10 - Sep 20 with 952 viewsHighgateBlue

Concerning performance.... But please note this team is great, love our manager on 12:27 - Sep 20 by BlueBadger

OK, I admit to having found that remark funny the first time. But it's just not a response of substance to the point that is being made.

We have played 3 top six teams and won 0%.

We have played 6 other teams and won 100%.

That pattern may be ripped to shreds very soon, and it's based on a relatively small sample size, but at a stage where we've played the majority of our top six colleagues, it's perfectly reasonable to note that /again/ we appear to be struggling to beat the better sides. As we found out with Lambert, some wins against lesser sides at the beginning of the season can leave you in a 'false' league position, in the sense that you don't actually have the best form when you assess the strength of opposition.

We're top, and that's great. McKenna is an absolute hero. But it's reasonable to seek to assess the strength of our form. If, as TrueBlue says, we don't take either of the next two opportunities to beat decent sides, we do start to look a little like flat track bullies, given the pattern that has emerged thus far.

Personally I think we will win one of them, and 6 points from those three tricky games for me would be a decent enough return. But it's a perfectly reasonable point being made.
Concerning performance.... But please note this team is great, love our manager on 16:31 - Sep 20 with 796 viewsChrisd

Concerning performance.... But please note this team is great, love our manager on 15:10 - Sep 20 by HighgateBlue

OK, I admit to having found that remark funny the first time. But it's just not a response of substance to the point that is being made.

That pattern may be ripped to shreds very soon, and it's based on a relatively small sample size, but at a stage where we've played the majority of our top six colleagues, it's perfectly reasonable to note that /again/ we appear to be struggling to beat the better sides. As we found out with Lambert, some wins against lesser sides at the beginning of the season can leave you in a 'false' league position, in the sense that you don't actually have the best form when you assess the strength of opposition.

We're top, and that's great. McKenna is an absolute hero. But it's reasonable to seek to assess the strength of our form. If, as TrueBlue says, we don't take either of the next two opportunities to beat decent sides, we do start to look a little like flat track bullies, given the pattern that has emerged thus far.

Personally I think we will win one of them, and 6 points from those three tricky games for me would be a decent enough return. But it's a perfectly reasonable point being made.

Apologies HighgateBlue, ignore the down vote. I was meant to give you an uppie, but a combination of my fat fingers and poor eyesight have let me down badly!

Concerning performance.... But please note this team is great, love our manager on 16:39 - Sep 20 with 781 viewsjayessess

Concerning performance.... But please note this team is great, love our manager on 15:10 - Sep 20 by HighgateBlue

There's been a lot of draws amongst the Top 6 as it stands, so no one has a particularly impressive record thus far.

Sheffield Wednesday have won 1, drawn 1, lost 1
Pompey have drawn 2
Bolton have drawn 1 lost 2
Barnsley have won 1, drawn 1, lost 1

The exception is... Plymouth, who've won both their home games against top 6 opposition and drawn their away (but, unlike us, they've proven fallible against bottom half opposition away from home).

Concerning performance.... But please note this team is great, love our manager on 16:41 - Sep 20 with 771 viewsHighgateBlue

Concerning performance.... But please note this team is great, love our manager on 16:31 - Sep 20 by Chrisd

Apologies HighgateBlue, ignore the down vote. I was meant to give you an uppie, but a combination of my fat fingers and poor eyesight have let me down badly!

I think anyone with any eyesight (or none) and any fingers (or none) is well within their rights to tell me to shut up any day of the week! (interesting to see whether that sentiment gets an uppie or a downie - not to worry either way! :) )
Concerning performance.... But please note this team is great, love our manager on 16:43 - Sep 20 with 750 viewsjayessess

Concerning performance.... But please note this team is great, love our manager on 16:31 - Sep 20 by Chrisd

I always thought you could undo uppies and downies by pressing the other button, but seemingly not!

Concerning performance.... But please note this team is great, love our manager on 16:45 - Sep 20 with 739 viewsChrisd

Concerning performance.... But please note this team is great, love our manager on 16:41 - Sep 20 by HighgateBlue

I think anyone with any eyesight (or none) and any fingers (or none) is well within their rights to tell me to shut up any day of the week! (interesting to see whether that sentiment gets an uppie or a downie - not to worry either way! :) )

I’m not going to risk it! 😄

Concerning performance.... But please note this team is great, love our manager on 16:47 - Sep 20 with 722 viewsChrisd

Concerning performance.... But please note this team is great, love our manager on 16:43 - Sep 20 by jayessess

I always thought you could undo uppies and downies by pressing the other button, but seemingly not!

That’s what I thought.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024