Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Heating oil 14:41 - Oct 5 with 1344 viewsleftback

Looks like we’ve had a delivery of oil that was meant for someone a couple of houses away, I’ve let him know so things are cool but where do I stand regarding deal with the oil company who I guess will want to come and get there oil back?
Heating oil on 14:45 - Oct 5 with 1276 viewsbungaytractor

Why dont you just him him his oil
Heating oil on 14:46 - Oct 5 with 1285 viewsGeoffSentence

Found this

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/1179735/oil-delivered-in-error-w

Basically seems you should be able to buy it at a cheap rate or if you cant agree a price they can take it back.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Heating oil on 14:46 - Oct 5 with 1275 viewsjeera

Wouldn't it be easier to work out a payment plan with them assuming you're going to want it at some point yourself?

I guess they'll have their own policy on this either way.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Heating oil on 14:47 - Oct 5 with 1259 viewsbungaytractor

Heating oil on 14:45 - Oct 5 by bungaytractor

Give him
Heating oil on 14:52 - Oct 5 with 1218 viewsclive_baker

Do them for trespassing

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Heating oil on 14:54 - Oct 5 with 1211 viewsjeera

Heating oil on 14:52 - Oct 5 by clive_baker

Do them for trespassing

I would certainly be looking to get a decent lock on the tank asap.

No one should be able to access it like that so easily!

Heating oil on 14:58 - Oct 5 with 1184 viewsZx1988

Heating oil on 14:46 - Oct 5 by GeoffSentence

Found this

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/1179735/oil-delivered-in-error-w

Basically seems you should be able to buy it at a cheap rate or if you cant agree a price they can take it back.

These comments from the thread are pretty useful as far as your negotiating position will be concerned:

"Negotiate very hard - the bottom line is that they will have to come and remove the oil from the tank. That will cost them.
They almost certainly will not have a pump to get oil out of a tank, they will have to get someone to do it. That will cost them.
Insist that they prove exactly how much oil was delivered, then they have to prove that they remove the same amount. Of course you will insist that this is done through an "officially certified" meter - just like the one they deliver through. They will have difficulty in getting one of these. That will cost them.
Insist that they can only collect it when you are present - on a Saturday of course !. Overtime ! That will cost them.
If they muck you around, give them a bill for the storage of their oil in your tank. That will cost them.

To a great extent you have them over a barrel (pun intended !) If they were to add up all the potential costs involved it will be cheaper for them to write the oil off."

I'd query whether the comments about writing off the oil would ring true in the current climate (the thread is from 2008), but you should certainly have leverage for a hefty discount.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Heating oil on 18:41 - Oct 5 with 877 viewsFixed_It

Heating oil on 14:45 - Oct 5 by bungaytractor

Maybe he hasn't got a wheelbarrow?

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Login to get fewer ads

Heating oil on 18:49 - Oct 5 with 858 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Heating oil on 14:58 - Oct 5 by Zx1988

These comments from the thread are pretty useful as far as your negotiating position will be concerned:

"Negotiate very hard - the bottom line is that they will have to come and remove the oil from the tank. That will cost them.
They almost certainly will not have a pump to get oil out of a tank, they will have to get someone to do it. That will cost them.
Insist that they prove exactly how much oil was delivered, then they have to prove that they remove the same amount. Of course you will insist that this is done through an "officially certified" meter - just like the one they deliver through. They will have difficulty in getting one of these. That will cost them.
Insist that they can only collect it when you are present - on a Saturday of course !. Overtime ! That will cost them.
If they muck you around, give them a bill for the storage of their oil in your tank. That will cost them.

To a great extent you have them over a barrel (pun intended !) If they were to add up all the potential costs involved it will be cheaper for them to write the oil off."

I'd query whether the comments about writing off the oil would ring true in the current climate (the thread is from 2008), but you should certainly have leverage for a hefty discount.

I would question anything lifted from an unspecified forum without any reference to the legal basis of it.

However, there is probably a lot of truth to it. The big question is how was it misdelivered and who is really culpable? It flags up some issues for many, if not all, of the people involved.

Ultimately, you may well be able to get the oil for free or on a very good deal. However, I would want to make sure that your neighbour didn't end up heavily penalised for it on the assumption it was a genuine mistake.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Heating oil on 18:53 - Oct 5 with 851 viewsjeera

Heating oil on 18:49 - Oct 5 by Nthsuffolkblue

I would question anything lifted from an unspecified forum without any reference to the legal basis of it.

However, there is probably a lot of truth to it. The big question is how was it misdelivered and who is really culpable? It flags up some issues for many, if not all, of the people involved.

Ultimately, you may well be able to get the oil for free or on a very good deal. However, I would want to make sure that your neighbour didn't end up heavily penalised for it on the assumption it was a genuine mistake.

It's a funny one for sure.

They've filled the tank without the owners permission.

Can they even demand for its return?

I'd be tempted to offer them half price.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024