Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So what do we will think of Prince Harry 16:45 - Jan 5 with 11765 viewsKeno

And his latest disclosures then?

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

So what do we will think of Prince Harry on 13:39 - Jan 7 with 648 viewsEnigma_Blue

So what do we will think of Prince Harry on 10:36 - Jan 7 by GlasgowBlue

We did this back at the time of hios tweet.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live by itfcjoe 9 May 2019 10:37
These things are just mad, he's made a mistake, deleted the offending tweet as soon as pointed out to him and offered a full apology instantly and explained he wasn't aware.

I'd hate to be in the public eye in anyway, must be torturous

This was my view:

"I think the people who immediately saw it as being racist, are aware that associating the baby of a woman from African American heritage with a monkey, are acutely aware of the connotations such an image holds.

And as [redacted] has previously said much has been made of Megan's ethnic background since her wedding to Harry.

Like I said last night, there were 4 opportunities to pause and reflect before hitting the post button on DB's tweet. As somebody who has worked in the media for over thirty years, writing scripts and jokes and understanding the red lines that can't be crossed when doing so, I can't believe he is that naive.

I keep wanting to give DB the benefit of the doubt but just can't convince myself he'd be that naive".

That thread created TWTD's finest comedy gold oent.
[Post edited 7 Jan 2023 10:40]

But as far as I am aware Danny Baker has no history of being racist prior to that tweet. Was he a closet racist but then decided to out himself? If so why then? Why at the age of 60 would a well respected broadcaster suddenly decide to do something so overtly racist when he had never done so before, also knowing it would likely signal the end of his career?To me it doesn't make sense and that is why I am inclined to believe it was genuine oversight on his behalf and give him the benefit of the doubt.
I read somewhere that he has no real interest in the Royal family and their lives as he is hardened anti royalist. He claimed he didn't know which royals had just had a new baby, for all he knew it could have been Katie & William or Tara & Mike Tindal . He just heard someone say there was a new royal baby so that is when he decided to post that tweet. If we take what he says at face value then it would explain how he came to posting that tweet. What he is therefore guilty of is stupidity in not researching or fact checking before posting that tweet.

At the end of the day none of us can ever know for sure whether it was a deliberate act of racism, only Danny Baker knows that and it comes down to whether you believe his explanation or not.
So what do we will think of Prince Harry on 13:58 - Jan 7 with 593 viewsGlasgowBlue

So what do we will think of Prince Harry on 13:39 - Jan 7 by Enigma_Blue

But as far as I am aware Danny Baker has no history of being racist prior to that tweet. Was he a closet racist but then decided to out himself? If so why then? Why at the age of 60 would a well respected broadcaster suddenly decide to do something so overtly racist when he had never done so before, also knowing it would likely signal the end of his career?To me it doesn't make sense and that is why I am inclined to believe it was genuine oversight on his behalf and give him the benefit of the doubt.
I read somewhere that he has no real interest in the Royal family and their lives as he is hardened anti royalist. He claimed he didn't know which royals had just had a new baby, for all he knew it could have been Katie & William or Tara & Mike Tindal . He just heard someone say there was a new royal baby so that is when he decided to post that tweet. If we take what he says at face value then it would explain how he came to posting that tweet. What he is therefore guilty of is stupidity in not researching or fact checking before posting that tweet.

At the end of the day none of us can ever know for sure whether it was a deliberate act of racism, only Danny Baker knows that and it comes down to whether you believe his explanation or not.

Not sure how the Danny Baker story has suddenly taken over this thread. I put up the old thread to show that it had been discussed at length.

The tweet, in the context of Meghan being a person of colour, is racist. No iffs and no buts.

Danny Baker has no history of making racist comments and there is no pattern of behavior that suggests he is a racist.

But portraying the baby of a POC as a monkey is offensive and racist. Whether there was intent or not.

My view still remains that you would have to have been living on Mars not to know that a) Meghan is of mixed race and b) that she had just given birth to a baby. It was on every news outlet and social media platform.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

So what do we will think of Prince Harry on 14:09 - Jan 7 with 565 viewsEnigma_Blue

So what do we will think of Prince Harry on 13:58 - Jan 7 by GlasgowBlue

Not sure how the Danny Baker story has suddenly taken over this thread. I put up the old thread to show that it had been discussed at length.

The tweet, in the context of Meghan being a person of colour, is racist. No iffs and no buts.

Danny Baker has no history of making racist comments and there is no pattern of behavior that suggests he is a racist.

But portraying the baby of a POC as a monkey is offensive and racist. Whether there was intent or not.

My view still remains that you would have to have been living on Mars not to know that a) Meghan is of mixed race and b) that she had just given birth to a baby. It was on every news outlet and social media platform.

Yes I am not denying that if you portray a baby of colour as a monkey it is racist. My point is more about whether it was intentional .

You say that you would have to be living in Mars not to know that Meghan was mixed race, for what it's worth I had no idea myself she was until the controversy of his tweet came out as I have no I interest in the Royals what so ever. Even though DB claims to have no interest either he does work in media, so like you said it seems a bit odd that he would not know it was Meghan and Harrys baby as it was big news in the media at the time but it is possible.
[Post edited 7 Jan 2023 14:10]
So what do we will think of Prince Harry on 16:49 - Jan 7 with 464 viewsRob88

So what do we will think of Prince Harry on 13:58 - Jan 7 by GlasgowBlue

DB story taking over is my fault.

Lucan was saying he didn’t think the biased press coverage of Meghan had anything to do with colour and then I posted a link to the DB tweet (which may or may not be to do with colour) but also pointed out that there were lots of headlines which were to do with colour such as:

“Harry’s girl is (almost) straight outta Compton”- she’s not from Compton
“One’s gone GangstER” - she’s not a gangster
Meghan’s ancestors were a “tailor, a teacher and a cleaner in racially divided Jim Crow South”.

People have just decided to interrogate whether DB meant it or not rather than except a wider body of evidence that shows there were racial undertones to the media coverage of Meghan.

Now if you are reading headlines like the above and then you see someone depict your mixed race child as a monkey, whether that person meant to insinuate something or not, what would you think?

This is only a subset of the media coverage, there was far more media coverage that, although may not have any racial undertones, was nasty, targeted and fallacious.

The tabloid press have seemingly treated Meghan the same way as they treated Diana, which is why Diana struggled with mental health and why Meghan reached a point where she wanted to kill herself.

Now I have declared that I am no monarchist but on a human level i care and I think it is disgraceful somebody can be hounded with deliberate, targeted, mistruths to the point they want to die.

Harry is sticking up for his wife, probably paying a few bills and getting across their version of events which they weren’t able to do before. The media reporting historically has been so biased some people outright dismiss Meghan and Harry now at the very mention of their names as people have lapped up what they were fed by the press.
[Post edited 7 Jan 2023 16:53]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024