Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
First EFL sacking on the season 22:12 - Aug 27 with 2634 viewsHipsterectomy

Dean Holden and his team at Charlton

4 league defeats already!! We lost that all of last season

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

First EFL sacking on the season on 22:25 - Aug 27 with 2513 viewsStu_boy

Ridiculous, it's far too early to sack anyone. Holden did a good job there last season, think they could do worse than go for darren moore

Many sheff Wednesday fans are calling for munoz to go as well and feel he has 2 games to save his job, against leeds then us
First EFL sacking on the season on 22:28 - Aug 27 with 2491 viewsGuthrum

Think that's a bit precipitate after only four games, even if all defeats. Especially given he managed to get them from 18th when he took over just before Christmas to 10th in May.

Not given him much chance to turn things around.
[Post edited 27 Aug 2023 22:28]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

First EFL sacking on the season on 22:47 - Aug 27 with 2360 viewsPioneerBlue

I loathe this and the money elements of football. I know some fans love chopping early but I have always preferred the give them time. If you are not throwing cash at a project then 2-3 seasons is probably about right to cut away the players you inherited but don’t fit and to get a group playing how you want. I get the accelerated expectations when cash is thrown around because you can exit and bring new players quickly.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

First EFL sacking on the season on 22:51 - Aug 27 with 2346 viewstractordownsouth

The new ownership there presumably wanted to bring their own man in, but if that was the case why not do it straight away rather than a week before the end of the window?

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

First EFL sacking on the season on 22:52 - Aug 27 with 2338 viewsle2blue

Oh wow, just saw he has been sacked, thought you were suggesting! Definitely think that Xisco at Wednesday likely to be next, hopefully not before we stuff the Owls.
[Post edited 27 Aug 2023 22:54]
First EFL sacking on the season on 22:59 - Aug 27 with 2277 viewsChurchman

As MM would say, that’s Bonkers!
First EFL sacking on the season on 00:33 - Aug 28 with 2049 viewsburnbudgiesburn

Poor Panutche Camara!

Can they send him back to us in January or do they have to pay a % of his wages all season?
First EFL sacking on the season on 07:23 - Aug 28 with 1707 viewsGuthrum

First EFL sacking on the season on 22:51 - Aug 27 by tractordownsouth

The new ownership there presumably wanted to bring their own man in, but if that was the case why not do it straight away rather than a week before the end of the window?

From what I read, Holden was endorsed by the new owners.

Edit: And given a new contract, in March.
[Post edited 28 Aug 2023 9:04]

Login to get fewer ads

First EFL sacking on the season on 08:29 - Aug 28 with 1501 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

It’s modern football. Our owners wouldn’t muck around if say we were bottom around Christmas, I’d expect they’d sack McKenna. Not time to be sentimental in modern football, it’s all business.
First EFL sacking on the season on 08:34 - Aug 28 with 1482 viewsStu_boy

First EFL sacking on the season on 08:29 - Aug 28 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

It’s modern football. Our owners wouldn’t muck around if say we were bottom around Christmas, I’d expect they’d sack McKenna. Not time to be sentimental in modern football, it’s all business.

Changing a manager doesn't guarantee a change in success though, too many clubs are too trigger happy. There is a time when a change of manager is required but equally if your a club like watford constantly changing you'll be self limiting as to the calibre of manager you'll attract and in turn a number of players wouldnt be interested in joining in case the following manager doesnt fancy them
First EFL sacking on the season on 09:00 - Aug 28 with 1357 viewsblueoxford

First EFL sacking on the season on 08:34 - Aug 28 by Stu_boy

Changing a manager doesn't guarantee a change in success though, too many clubs are too trigger happy. There is a time when a change of manager is required but equally if your a club like watford constantly changing you'll be self limiting as to the calibre of manager you'll attract and in turn a number of players wouldnt be interested in joining in case the following manager doesnt fancy them

Their main mistake was allowing Charlie Methven anywhere near their decision making processes
First EFL sacking on the season on 09:02 - Aug 28 with 1357 viewsGuthrum

First EFL sacking on the season on 08:29 - Aug 28 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

However, five games into the season and a week before the window closes is not Christmas. It is both too early and too late. The point about Christmas is the season has had time to develop, but not so long that the situation is unrecoverable, plus it is in the run-up to a transfer window opening, not a week before one shuts.

The time to change managers is late autumn up to Christmas (in time for January and the second half of the season), or late spring and over the summer (ready for the next term). Gamechanger and even Marcus Evans got that right.

This smacks to me of a loss of nerve during a poor start (having publicly stuck with Holder over the summer), or "grass is greener" lusting after another coach who has suddenly become available.

First EFL sacking on the season on 09:31 - Aug 28 with 1263 viewsWeWereZombies

First EFL sacking on the season on 22:51 - Aug 27 by tractordownsouth

Does look like bad timing, doesn't it ? Unless there is no money in the bank to do any transfer business anyway. See also Lee Johnson sacked by Hibernian, understandable given recent results and anger amongst the fanbase but four days before a European tie ? Against in-form Villa !

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

First EFL sacking on the season on 09:31 - Aug 28 with 1264 viewsHipsterectomy

First EFL sacking on the season on 07:23 - Aug 28 by Guthrum

From what I read, Holden was endorsed by the new owners.

Edit: And given a new contract, in March.
[Post edited 28 Aug 2023 9:04]

Holden is mates with some of the new owners. It’s also come out from their media that he was likely sacked by text

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

First EFL sacking on the season on 09:41 - Aug 28 with 1224 viewsTrumptonBlue

First EFL sacking on the season on 09:31 - Aug 28 by WeWereZombies

Does look like bad timing, doesn't it ? Unless there is no money in the bank to do any transfer business anyway. See also Lee Johnson sacked by Hibernian, understandable given recent results and anger amongst the fanbase but four days before a European tie ? Against in-form Villa !

I expect they think it unlikely that Johnson’s team would have overturned the five-goal deficit from the home leg.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024