Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... 15:15 - Sep 22 with 3777 viewsWeWereZombies

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66868576

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... on 17:07 - Sep 22 with 925 viewsVegtablue

Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... on 16:35 - Sep 22 by Grandpa

West Ham have never been champions of England
Everton won a European cup winners' cup, NOT one of the primary 2 European crowns

Aha I stand corrected. I don't know much about the cup winners' cup of yesteryear I must admit. I once thought it was the equivalent to the Super Cup, but later figured it couldn't be because Arsenal have won it. More recently I guessed it was a particularly selective tournament for domestic champions, yet it can't be that either if West Ham have never won the league. I suppose google is my friend here!
Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... on 17:45 - Sep 22 with 902 viewsMK1

Depends what you class as "Big"? A big club for the Championship on recent history. Not big 6, but a bigger club than some in the Premier League.
Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... on 17:45 - Sep 22 with 902 viewsfactual_blue

Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... on 16:38 - Sep 22 by Grandpa

Leeds won a European cup winners' cup - NOT one of the 2 primary European crowns

They've convinced themselves they won the European Cup in 1975, as they were beaten by corruption. Apparently.

Ironic, given revie's supposed involvement in bribery.

Although I had pretty convincing tales that it was true.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... on 17:53 - Sep 22 with 884 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... on 17:06 - Sep 22 by Grandpa

But not a 'great' club

I’d take that 30 years over ours!
Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... on 08:31 - Sep 23 with 817 viewsWeWereZombies

Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... on 17:07 - Sep 22 by Vegtablue

Aha I stand corrected. I don't know much about the cup winners' cup of yesteryear I must admit. I once thought it was the equivalent to the Super Cup, but later figured it couldn't be because Arsenal have won it. More recently I guessed it was a particularly selective tournament for domestic champions, yet it can't be that either if West Ham have never won the league. I suppose google is my friend here!

The Cup Winner's Cup was a big deal before the Premiership (as was the F A Cup), you had to win your nation's primary knockout competition and then get through a number of knockout games in Europe. At its inception it was a much bigger tournament than the Inter City Fairs Cup (which became the UEFA Cup) which seemed more like a pre-season invitation tournament that somehow carried on and got in the way during the season. But when it became the UEFA Cup they tightened up the criteria for entering and a lot more competitive European sides were involved. So the European Cup took notice and decided to replace themselves with the Champions League.

Granpa - leaving Arsenal out of the list of 'big' clubs might get a few seal claps but it invalidates the whole list in my opinion.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... on 10:02 - Sep 23 with 806 viewsChurchman

Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... on 16:56 - Sep 22 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

Since the 1990s they have won the Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup twice(runners up once), played in the Champions League. They have played at Wembley 8 times in that same period, winning the Championship Playoffs twice.

I'd say they are a big club these days.

They’re a successful mid sized club. You could describe Ipswich as that in 1982. Forest fall in the same category for me. My list of 10 big clubs is:

Arsenal
Spurs
Chelsea
Man U
Man C
Liverpool
Everton
Newcastle
Sunlun
Leeds

There’s an argument to include Villa, but I’ll stick to the 10. After Villa mid sized in no order

Leicester
Forest
Sheffield W
Sheffield Utd
Derby
Wolves
Brum
Scum
ITFC
Palace
Brighton
Cov
Southampton
WBA
Middlesbrough
Portsmouth

No real logic to this - just an opinion based on dodgy criteria/instinct.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2023 10:03]
Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... on 10:41 - Sep 23 with 792 viewsGrandpa

Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... on 08:31 - Sep 23 by WeWereZombies

The Cup Winner's Cup was a big deal before the Premiership (as was the F A Cup), you had to win your nation's primary knockout competition and then get through a number of knockout games in Europe. At its inception it was a much bigger tournament than the Inter City Fairs Cup (which became the UEFA Cup) which seemed more like a pre-season invitation tournament that somehow carried on and got in the way during the season. But when it became the UEFA Cup they tightened up the criteria for entering and a lot more competitive European sides were involved. So the European Cup took notice and decided to replace themselves with the Champions League.

Granpa - leaving Arsenal out of the list of 'big' clubs might get a few seal claps but it invalidates the whole list in my opinion.

Again, based only on being...
English champions AND
1 each of either of what are currently considered the 2 primary of BOTH domestic & European Cup competitions...
there's 8 who have achieved 'greatness'

Obviously, there are many other 'big' clubs by size of stadium/fan base/average crowds or number of trophies, but...

English champions AND
FA Cup or League Cup winners AND
European Cup or UEFA Cup winners...

it's just 8 clubs & the Town area among them, let's enjoy that!
Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... on 10:50 - Sep 23 with 788 viewsMK1

Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... on 10:02 - Sep 23 by Churchman

They’re a successful mid sized club. You could describe Ipswich as that in 1982. Forest fall in the same category for me. My list of 10 big clubs is:

Arsenal
Spurs
Chelsea
Man U
Man C
Liverpool
Everton
Newcastle
Sunlun
Leeds

There’s an argument to include Villa, but I’ll stick to the 10. After Villa mid sized in no order

Leicester
Forest
Sheffield W
Sheffield Utd
Derby
Wolves
Brum
Scum
ITFC
Palace
Brighton
Cov
Southampton
WBA
Middlesbrough
Portsmouth

No real logic to this - just an opinion based on dodgy criteria/instinct.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2023 10:03]

I would include West Ham as mid sized.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024