Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. 07:23 - Sep 29 with 7361 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/sep/29/ed-sheeran-autumn-variations-revie

Successful pop music is often about immediacy and simplicity, and Sheeran’s safe, artless stream-of-consciousness confections are evidently what the people want. The fact is that he is now an era-defining musician, and has earned his place alongside Bowie, Elton, George Michael, Morrissey and Elvis Costello in the pantheon of great British male solo artists. The difference between Sheeran and the others will be glaringly obvious to some, but completely irrelevant to others. For the former, Autumn Variations will be yet another occasion to despair at the colossal popularity of such proudly unimaginative, staunchly unoriginal and intellectually bereft music. Everyone else? Well, they’ll be far too busy just pressing repeat.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 19:40 - Sep 30 with 1389 viewsmellowblue

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 19:37 - Sep 30 by mellowblue

Actually Edward Elgar was a Wolverhampton Wanderers supporter. Cycled there and back from Worcester. True fact.

Malvern not Worcester, my mistake
Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 20:01 - Sep 30 with 1364 viewslowhouseblue

the guardian expressing derision for popular stuff. who'd have thought it. the public should consume an exclusive diet of ken loach films and like it.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 20:47 - Sep 30 with 1325 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 20:01 - Sep 30 by lowhouseblue

the guardian expressing derision for popular stuff. who'd have thought it. the public should consume an exclusive diet of ken loach films and like it.

Have you listened to it yet?

Anything that is popular.... on 22:03 - Sep 30 with 1274 viewsHerbivore

Anything that is popular.... on 17:47 - Sep 30 by The_Flashing_Smile

Most people don't feel the need to tell everyone though.

I expressed an opinion about Ed Sheeran's music on a thread about Ed Sheeran's music. I wasn't aware that only opinions that expressed positive views about Ed Sheeran's music were allowed on a thread about Ed Sheeran's music.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Anything that is popular.... on 23:02 - Sep 30 with 1248 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Anything that is popular.... on 22:03 - Sep 30 by Herbivore

I expressed an opinion about Ed Sheeran's music on a thread about Ed Sheeran's music. I wasn't aware that only opinions that expressed positive views about Ed Sheeran's music were allowed on a thread about Ed Sheeran's music.

My dream is to be as cool as you.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Anything that is popular.... on 23:10 - Sep 30 with 1244 viewsCrayonKing

Anything that is popular.... on 09:51 - Sep 30 by DJR

For anyone on the left who has been an activist, this is a great song.

"Jumbo sales are organised and pamphlets have been posted
Even after closing time there's still parties to be hosted
You can be active with the activists or sleep in with the sleepers
While you're waiting for the Great Leap Forwards"

It's also slightly tongue-in-cheek with lyrics such as this.

"The Revolution is just a T-shirt away."

"If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it"

[Post edited 30 Sep 2023 9:58]

I always liked "I don't believe we can defeat no Axis of Evil By putting smart bombs in the hands of dumb people"
Anything that is popular.... on 23:20 - Sep 30 with 1220 viewsHerbivore

Anything that is popular.... on 23:02 - Sep 30 by The_Flashing_Smile

My dream is to be as cool as you.

Try setting yourself more achievable goals.

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 23:34 - Sep 30 with 1211 viewsWhos_blue

I'm not sure we should be writing Billy Bragg off quite so easily.

This is a great track and later superbly covered by Kirsty MacColl.

For what it's worth, my opinion is that Ed seems to be a thoroughly decent person who has built his career from street busker to selling out Wembley stadium and headlining Glasto. No mean feat and all accomplished with an air of humility.
I don't own any of his music and never likely to, but I think he's great.
Let's also not forget his unwavering and genuine support for the Town.
The album might be cr@p. Who really cares?

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

Login to get fewer ads

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 07:16 - Oct 1 with 1160 viewsChurchman

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 23:34 - Sep 30 by Whos_blue

For what it's worth, my opinion is that Ed seems to be a thoroughly decent person who has built his career from street busker to selling out Wembley stadium and headlining Glasto. No mean feat and all accomplished with an air of humility.

Ed Sheeran is obviously extremely talented and very good at what he does. You don’t get that popular around the world without having an awful lot about you.

I’m not a fan of his music but I admire what he has achieved and I’m pleased he supports this club, both as a lifelong fan and a shirt sponsor for the last couple of years. Seems a decent bloke too.
Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 08:01 - Oct 1 with 1146 viewsiamatractorboy

Brett Domino on YouTube does an amusing takedown (or should that be loving parody?) of Ed's formula...
Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 08:13 - Oct 1 with 1131 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 23:34 - Sep 30 by Whos_blue

Let's hope the shirt is better.

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 08:21 - Oct 1 with 1116 viewsArnieM

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 08:43 - Sep 29 by Herbivore

Which of his music isn't turgid dross?

So the millions of people who buy it, repeatedly, are wrong and you are right?

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Anything that is popular.... on 08:25 - Oct 1 with 1105 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Anything that is popular.... on 23:20 - Sep 30 by Herbivore

Try setting yourself more achievable goals.

That's exactly what a cool dude would say.

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 08:27 - Oct 1 with 1097 viewsHerbivore

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 08:21 - Oct 1 by ArnieM

So the millions of people who buy it, repeatedly, are wrong and you are right?

I haven't said people who listen to turgid dross are wrong.

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 08:32 - Oct 1 with 1089 viewsDJR

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 08:27 - Oct 1 by Herbivore

I haven't said people who listen to turgid dross are wrong.

And I rather doubt that anyone on this thread doesn't regard someone's music as turgid dross.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2023 8:34]
Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 08:36 - Oct 1 with 1077 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 08:32 - Oct 1 by DJR

And I rather doubt that anyone on this thread doesn't regard someone's music as turgid dross.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2023 8:34]

I wouldn't describe anyone's entire output as turgid dross, but I'm not as cool as Herbs.

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 08:40 - Oct 1 with 1072 viewsHerbivore

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 08:36 - Oct 1 by The_Flashing_Smile

I wouldn't describe anyone's entire output as turgid dross, but I'm not as cool as Herbs.

You're not, no. But you don't need to be cool to consider Es Sheeran's music to be dross.

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 08:44 - Oct 1 with 1067 viewsWonky

First album is his best by mile. Then some great pop moneymaking tunes after. I've still hope for a great album to come not just a great selling one.
Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 08:44 - Oct 1 with 1065 viewsDJR

As this thread keeps coming back to Billy Bragg, whom I have seen many times over the years, here's a great political song.

It's pretty close to the Dick Gaughan version of the song, and miles away from the Leon Rosselson folksy original.

[Post edited 1 Oct 2023 8:45]
Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 08:50 - Oct 1 with 1050 viewsWonky

Anyone remember a Billy Bragg cover of When will see you again?. Actually my favourite. That was on a NME cassette (or Melody Maker) way back in the day.
Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 08:51 - Oct 1 with 1047 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 08:40 - Oct 1 by Herbivore

You're not, no. But you don't need to be cool to consider Es Sheeran's music to be dross.

It's more the assertion that anything is "turgid dross". You could just say "It's not my cup of tea" but you have to go in hard with your sneering, withering condemnation (and you have to share it).

The subtext is, of course, "Millions of people love it but I can see it for what it really is because I am brilliant and they are stupid. And I need to tell people so that they can see how brilliant and cool I am. I won't just do this about Ed Sheeran but anything that is remotely popular. In many ways I'm a higher being."

To be honest, that's what I get from most of your joyless posting style.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2023 8:56]

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 08:55 - Oct 1 with 1039 viewsHerbivore

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 08:51 - Oct 1 by The_Flashing_Smile

It's more the assertion that anything is "turgid dross". You could just say "It's not my cup of tea" but you have to go in hard with your sneering, withering condemnation (and you have to share it).

The subtext is, of course, "Millions of people love it but I can see it for what it really is because I am brilliant and they are stupid. And I need to tell people so that they can see how brilliant and cool I am. I won't just do this about Ed Sheeran but anything that is remotely popular. In many ways I'm a higher being."

To be honest, that's what I get from most of your joyless posting style.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2023 8:56]

Once again, this is a thread about Ed Sheeran's music, indeed the OP is about a review that is rather scathing of Ed Sheeran's music. So why do you have such a problem with someone sharing their opinion of Ed Sheeran's music on a thread that's about Ed Sheeran's music? You are more than welcome to disagree with my opinion but that doesn't seem to be enough for you, you seem to be suggesting I'm not entitled to offer my opinion.

Edit - Nice edit, Dollers. A lot of projecting going on I feel. And something about potatoes and Haribo.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2023 9:17]

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 09:00 - Oct 1 with 1036 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 08:55 - Oct 1 by Herbivore

Once again, this is a thread about Ed Sheeran's music, indeed the OP is about a review that is rather scathing of Ed Sheeran's music. So why do you have such a problem with someone sharing their opinion of Ed Sheeran's music on a thread that's about Ed Sheeran's music? You are more than welcome to disagree with my opinion but that doesn't seem to be enough for you, you seem to be suggesting I'm not entitled to offer my opinion.

Edit - Nice edit, Dollers. A lot of projecting going on I feel. And something about potatoes and Haribo.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2023 9:17]

Where have I suggested you're not entitled to offer your opinion? I'm just offering my opinion on the way you state your opinion (which up until you've stated as fact rather than just your opinion TBH).

I'm not a fan of most of Ed's music, and to be honest I don't know most of it, but Shape Of You and Bad Habits are decent songs.

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 09:12 - Oct 1 with 1023 viewsHerbivore

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 09:00 - Oct 1 by The_Flashing_Smile

Where have I suggested you're not entitled to offer your opinion? I'm just offering my opinion on the way you state your opinion (which up until you've stated as fact rather than just your opinion TBH).

I'm not a fan of most of Ed's music, and to be honest I don't know most of it, but Shape Of You and Bad Habits are decent songs.

In other words you're arguing for the sake of it. Again. Excellent. Enjoy your Sunday.

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 09:15 - Oct 1 with 1014 viewsDJR

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 08:36 - Oct 1 by The_Flashing_Smile

The Dooleys?

Seriously though, isn't it the nature of music that many people tend to have strong opinions one way or another on particular artists, and may well express their views in strong terms?
[Post edited 1 Oct 2023 9:16]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024