Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any PC Warranty Experts on here? 13:50 - Sep 29 with 1110 viewsSkip_Intro

Hi
I'm wondering whether anyone on here knows anything about PC warranties and could maybe give me some advice please?
Apologies for the long read...
I bought a new PC 18 months ago and it came with a 2 year warranty.
I have returned it 3 times in the last 3 months as sometimes when I boot it there is no display no matter what I do. This then becomes progressively worse until I cannot boot with a display at all.
The PC company have inspected it 3 times and said that they cannot replicate the fault and that stress tests indicate the PC is 'fully functional'.
However on this last occasion they are claiming that the PC has been damaged by 'liquid ingress' and that they cannot replace any parts because of this. They also sent photos claiming to show the ingress.
I am the only person that uses the PC and it has never had any liquid spilt upon it. The photos show small droplets in one spot just inside the fan - which I think will be caused by my vaping near the PC. There is also a tiny speck of rust - and I mean tiny - on 2 of the graphics card screws. There are no residue marks or corrosion and no streak marks. There is also no apparent point of entry for the liquid on the case.
The company never mentioned 'liquid ingress' when they previously inspected the PC and it feels as though they are looking for reasons to refuse my warranty - although they deny this.
Now, since it was last returned it beeps 3 times on start up (it did not do this previously) and this happens even after I reseated the graphics card and RAM - so it seems that the card is now probably borked.
Do I have any chance of getting this resolved or am I up the swanee?
Any help or advice would be appreciated (and yes I am no longer vaping near my PC...)
Thanks
Any PC Warranty Experts on here? on 14:57 - Sep 29 with 1043 viewsKievthegreat

I've never considered vaping around a computer being an issue. However it obviously puts out water vapour and or mist, and that will condense on surfaces and condensation could damage a computer. I'm just surprised you'd be able to do that damage without literally blowing the vapour straight into it. Usually this is a concern with doing weird sub-zero cooling with liquid nitrogen or some crazy exotic thing.

Back to what they found, droplets can easily be argued aren't relevent. They could literally be at any point from being used, transport, to even their offices. In fact if the droplets are still there, it's more likely to be recently have got there and you should be able to claim it wasn't anything to do with you. Especially if there is no residue marks.

Rust on screws is because shock horror, steel rusts. Out of interest, when you say graphic card screws, are you talking about the ones on the back of your case mounting it to the case, or on the back of the card itself (usually there would be 4 making a square on the back of the card)?
Any PC Warranty Experts on here? on 15:02 - Sep 29 with 1029 viewsZx1988

I'd suggest that it all really boils down to what the machine is worth, and how much it would cost to replace it.

Is there an ombudsman scheme, or any other form of ADR that you can refer the matter to?

If not, and the warranty provider is digging their heels in, I would suggest that the only other course of action would be to engage the services of an independent expert to provide a written opinion as to what they think has caused the damage. Ultimately it may be that you'd have to present that evidence to the Small Claims Court to force the matter, and that's where the whole cost-benefit analysis would come in.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Any PC Warranty Experts on here? on 15:08 - Sep 29 with 1012 viewsSkip_Intro

Any PC Warranty Experts on here? on 14:57 - Sep 29 by Kievthegreat

I've never considered vaping around a computer being an issue. However it obviously puts out water vapour and or mist, and that will condense on surfaces and condensation could damage a computer. I'm just surprised you'd be able to do that damage without literally blowing the vapour straight into it. Usually this is a concern with doing weird sub-zero cooling with liquid nitrogen or some crazy exotic thing.

Back to what they found, droplets can easily be argued aren't relevent. They could literally be at any point from being used, transport, to even their offices. In fact if the droplets are still there, it's more likely to be recently have got there and you should be able to claim it wasn't anything to do with you. Especially if there is no residue marks.

Rust on screws is because shock horror, steel rusts. Out of interest, when you say graphic card screws, are you talking about the ones on the back of your case mounting it to the case, or on the back of the card itself (usually there would be 4 making a square on the back of the card)?

Thanks for the reply.
The droplets are 'sticky' and so I assume that they are vaping related - they are close to the fan that draws air in so presume they have come in from there - there are no other droplets anywhere inside the PC.
The 'rusty' screws are on the case of the card itself - and when I say rusty I mean that there are tiny specks of rust on these screws and nothing else.
There reply was as follows:

"I'll be honest, I'm not going to enter into a debate on what the liquid may or may not be, whether or not it has been purposefully, accidently or ambiently inserted into the PC, what I can say is that if we return a component back to the manufacturer after being removed from your system, with liquid droplets or rust then it will be an instant rejection by them, as the degree of the damage far exceeds fair wear and tear."

I'm really not happy tbh and feel that I am being fobbed off...if this isn't the case I will just have to suck it up I guess.
Any PC Warranty Experts on here? on 15:11 - Sep 29 with 999 viewsSkip_Intro

Any PC Warranty Experts on here? on 15:02 - Sep 29 by Zx1988

I'd suggest that it all really boils down to what the machine is worth, and how much it would cost to replace it.

Is there an ombudsman scheme, or any other form of ADR that you can refer the matter to?

If not, and the warranty provider is digging their heels in, I would suggest that the only other course of action would be to engage the services of an independent expert to provide a written opinion as to what they think has caused the damage. Ultimately it may be that you'd have to present that evidence to the Small Claims Court to force the matter, and that's where the whole cost-benefit analysis would come in.

Thanks for the reply.
The machine cost c£1500 18 months ago and a replacement graphics card would cost me about £330 (obviously it would cost them a lot less - esp if they get it replaced as faulty).
Good point about relative cost - by the time I pay an independent expert (c£100?) and the hassle of a small claims court claim I'm guessing it's easier to just buy a replacement card myself and stage a dirty protest in their offices (obviously that last part won't happen...)
Any PC Warranty Experts on here? on 15:20 - Sep 29 with 992 viewsblueasfook

Any PC Warranty Experts on here? on 15:11 - Sep 29 by Skip_Intro

Thanks for the reply.
The machine cost c£1500 18 months ago and a replacement graphics card would cost me about £330 (obviously it would cost them a lot less - esp if they get it replaced as faulty).
Good point about relative cost - by the time I pay an independent expert (c£100?) and the hassle of a small claims court claim I'm guessing it's easier to just buy a replacement card myself and stage a dirty protest in their offices (obviously that last part won't happen...)

I'd go see Citizen's Advice in the first instance. Won't cost you anything and they can often put you right on the relevant consumer rights to quote back to the awkward supplier which very often will make them change track.

From the response you posted below, they sound like assholes so I would consider that a challenge to get my own way! Good luck.

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Any PC Warranty Experts on here? on 15:22 - Sep 29 with 983 viewsSkip_Intro

Any PC Warranty Experts on here? on 15:20 - Sep 29 by blueasfook

I'd go see Citizen's Advice in the first instance. Won't cost you anything and they can often put you right on the relevant consumer rights to quote back to the awkward supplier which very often will make them change track.

From the response you posted below, they sound like assholes so I would consider that a challenge to get my own way! Good luck.

Cheers for the reply - was just looking at the CAB online so could well be worth a punt...
Any PC Warranty Experts on here? on 15:37 - Sep 29 with 963 viewsZx1988

Any PC Warranty Experts on here? on 15:22 - Sep 29 by Skip_Intro

Cheers for the reply - was just looking at the CAB online so could well be worth a punt...

It could well be worth looking at any home-based insurances that you might have, and seeing whether they have any degree of legal assistance included.

Similarly some memberships such as 'Which?' include free legal advice.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Any PC Warranty Experts on here? on 15:47 - Sep 29 with 925 viewsSkip_Intro

Any PC Warranty Experts on here? on 15:37 - Sep 29 by Zx1988

It could well be worth looking at any home-based insurances that you might have, and seeing whether they have any degree of legal assistance included.

Similarly some memberships such as 'Which?' include free legal advice.

Great suggestion - thank you!
Login to get fewer ads

Any PC Warranty Experts on here? on 16:18 - Sep 29 with 872 viewsBrianTablet

Oh dear. What have the Met done now?

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024