Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Met Police are investigating war crime allegations in Gaza 08:39 - Jan 4 with 1551 viewsblueasfook

Well that's just bizarre. It's the job of the ICC. Why do the Met even have a war crimes team? I'd rather they got on with the job of policing London.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/israel-gaza-met-police-war-crimes-b2

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Met Police are investigating war crime allegations in Gaza on 08:49 - Jan 4 with 1486 viewsGuthrum

It is part of their job to investigate war crimes allegedly carried out by, or (as in this case) against London residents.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Met Police are investigating war crime allegations in Gaza on 09:24 - Jan 4 with 1397 viewsDJR

It's not the ICC but the ICJ as the following explains.

Unlike the International Criminal Court at the Hague, which conducts proceedings against private individuals, the International Court of Justice deals with judicial disputes between countries. Israel does not recognize the jurisdiction of the criminal court, which is conducting investigations into alleged war crimes by both Israelis and Palestinians, including in the current war.

In contrast, it is signatory to the treaty against genocide, by the power of which the court derives its authority to hear the complaint filed against Israel by South Africa. According to the court's prior ruling, any signatory country may file a complaint against another country, even if it's not directly harmed by it.

EDIT; sorry I got this wrong as I didn't read the article which I thought was about the genocide case brought by South Africa. But as Israel (like the US and Russia) hasn't ratified the ICC treaty and so doesn't recognise the ICC, I can't imagine much will come of these investigations, although if an individual is indicted (as in the case of Putin), they may have to be careful where they travel.

FURTHER EDIT: This footnote from Wikipedia explains the position in relation to Palestine.

The Palestinian National Authority submitted a declaration on 22 January 2009, dated the previous day, accepting the Court's jurisdiction for "acts committed on the territory of Palestine since 1 July 2002." However, on 3 April 2012 the Prosecutor of the ICC deemed the declaration invalid because the Rome Statute only permits sovereign states to make such a declaration and Palestine was designated an "observer entity" within the United Nations (the body that is the depositary for the Rome Statute) at the time. On 29 November 2012, the United Nations General Assembly voted in favour of recognising Palestine as a non-member observer state. However, in November 2013 the Office of the Prosecutor concluded that this decision did "not cure the legal invalidity of the 2009 declaration." A second declaration accepting the court's jurisdiction was reportedly submitted in July 2014 by Palestine's Justice Minister Saleem al-Saqqa and General Prosecutor Ismaeil Jabr, but the prosecutor responded that only the head of state, head of government or minister of foreign affairs had the authority to make such a declaration. After failing to receive confirmation from Minister of Foreign Affairs Riyad al-Maliki during an August meeting that the declaration had been made on behalf of the Palestinian government, the Prosecutor concluded that the declaration was invalid because it did not come from an authority with the power to make it. On 2 September 2014, the Prosecutor clarified that if Palestine filed a new declaration, or acceded to the Rome Statute, it would be deemed valid. In December 2014, the assembly of state parties of the ICC recognized Palestine as a "state" without prejudice to any legal or other decisions taken by the court or any other organization. A new declaration was submitted 1 January 2015 by Palestine, dated 31 December 2014, accepting the court's jurisdiction effective 13 June 2014. Palestine acceded to the Rome Statute on 2 January 2015, and the prosecutor accepted Palestine as state party. However, the court has not made a ruling on the legal validity of this decision.
[Post edited 4 Jan 16:18]
Met Police are investigating war crime allegations in Gaza on 09:55 - Jan 4 with 1330 viewsStokieBlue

The more agencies investigation the actions of the IDF the better in my opinion.

I am sure the Met can spare a few resources to investigate crimes affecting British citizens.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Met Police are investigating war crime allegations in Gaza on 10:10 - Jan 4 with 1277 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Met Police are investigating war crime allegations in Gaza on 09:24 - Jan 4 by DJR

It's not the ICC but the ICJ as the following explains.

Unlike the International Criminal Court at the Hague, which conducts proceedings against private individuals, the International Court of Justice deals with judicial disputes between countries. Israel does not recognize the jurisdiction of the criminal court, which is conducting investigations into alleged war crimes by both Israelis and Palestinians, including in the current war.

In contrast, it is signatory to the treaty against genocide, by the power of which the court derives its authority to hear the complaint filed against Israel by South Africa. According to the court's prior ruling, any signatory country may file a complaint against another country, even if it's not directly harmed by it.

EDIT; sorry I got this wrong as I didn't read the article which I thought was about the genocide case brought by South Africa. But as Israel (like the US and Russia) hasn't ratified the ICC treaty and so doesn't recognise the ICC, I can't imagine much will come of these investigations, although if an individual is indicted (as in the case of Putin), they may have to be careful where they travel.

FURTHER EDIT: This footnote from Wikipedia explains the position in relation to Palestine.

The Palestinian National Authority submitted a declaration on 22 January 2009, dated the previous day, accepting the Court's jurisdiction for "acts committed on the territory of Palestine since 1 July 2002." However, on 3 April 2012 the Prosecutor of the ICC deemed the declaration invalid because the Rome Statute only permits sovereign states to make such a declaration and Palestine was designated an "observer entity" within the United Nations (the body that is the depositary for the Rome Statute) at the time. On 29 November 2012, the United Nations General Assembly voted in favour of recognising Palestine as a non-member observer state. However, in November 2013 the Office of the Prosecutor concluded that this decision did "not cure the legal invalidity of the 2009 declaration." A second declaration accepting the court's jurisdiction was reportedly submitted in July 2014 by Palestine's Justice Minister Saleem al-Saqqa and General Prosecutor Ismaeil Jabr, but the prosecutor responded that only the head of state, head of government or minister of foreign affairs had the authority to make such a declaration. After failing to receive confirmation from Minister of Foreign Affairs Riyad al-Maliki during an August meeting that the declaration had been made on behalf of the Palestinian government, the Prosecutor concluded that the declaration was invalid because it did not come from an authority with the power to make it. On 2 September 2014, the Prosecutor clarified that if Palestine filed a new declaration, or acceded to the Rome Statute, it would be deemed valid. In December 2014, the assembly of state parties of the ICC recognized Palestine as a "state" without prejudice to any legal or other decisions taken by the court or any other organization. A new declaration was submitted 1 January 2015 by Palestine, dated 31 December 2014, accepting the court's jurisdiction effective 13 June 2014. Palestine acceded to the Rome Statute on 2 January 2015, and the prosecutor accepted Palestine as state party. However, the court has not made a ruling on the legal validity of this decision.
[Post edited 4 Jan 16:18]

That’s an interesting one, I wonder if South Africa will also be raising a complaint about the murder of Ukrainian civilians by their friends in Russia (US intelligence also suggests they may have supplied weapons to Russia, which they deny).
Met Police are investigating war crime allegations in Gaza on 10:39 - Jan 4 with 1158 viewsGlasgowBlue

Met Police are investigating war crime allegations in Gaza on 09:55 - Jan 4 by StokieBlue

The more agencies investigation the actions of the IDF the better in my opinion.

I am sure the Met can spare a few resources to investigate crimes affecting British citizens.

SB

Not like you to be one sided on this Stokie. The article clearly states "Scotland Yard’s war crimes unit is collaborating with the International Criminal Court to investigate any war crimes committed by Israel or Hamas in the region since 7 October". Yet you only mention the IDF.

There were seven British citizens murdered by Hamas on October 7th and a further 9 who are missing.
[Post edited 4 Jan 10:39]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Met Police are investigating war crime allegations in Gaza on 10:47 - Jan 4 with 1108 viewsStokieBlue

Met Police are investigating war crime allegations in Gaza on 10:39 - Jan 4 by GlasgowBlue

Not like you to be one sided on this Stokie. The article clearly states "Scotland Yard’s war crimes unit is collaborating with the International Criminal Court to investigate any war crimes committed by Israel or Hamas in the region since 7 October". Yet you only mention the IDF.

There were seven British citizens murdered by Hamas on October 7th and a further 9 who are missing.

I simply missed that part when reading, it was early and pre-coffee.

They should of course investigate both sides if they have had complaints from British citizens about both sides, no argument from me there. I think I was later distracted by the vast majority of the article being about the use of white phosphorus after the first paragraph.

SB
[Post edited 4 Jan 10:49]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Met Police are investigating war crime allegations in Gaza on 14:32 - Jan 4 with 886 viewsJohn_Warks_Willy

Have you not seen Vigil?!

Poll: Is Billm….

Met Police are investigating war crime allegations in Gaza on 14:58 - Jan 4 with 821 viewsKeno

Met Police are investigating war crime allegations in Gaza on 14:32 - Jan 4 by John_Warks_Willy

Have you not seen Vigil?!

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Login to get fewer ads

Met Police are investigating war crime allegations in Gaza on 15:20 - Jan 4 with 772 viewsblueasfook

Met Police are investigating war crime allegations in Gaza on 14:58 - Jan 4 by Keno

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Met Police are investigating war crime allegations in Gaza on 15:26 - Jan 4 with 751 viewsDJR

Met Police are investigating war crime allegations in Gaza on 10:39 - Jan 4 by GlasgowBlue

Interestingly though, the furore in the right wing media seems to be because Israel is being investigated.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12924551/Boris-Johnson-condemns-Met-Pol

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/01/03/boris-johnson-condemns-police-invest

The Telegraph headline was mentioned on the Today Programme and suggested the investigation was only in relation to Israel, which is why I assumed in my earlier post that the investigation concerned the ICJ, not the ICC.
[Post edited 4 Jan 16:16]
Met Police are investigating war crime allegations in Gaza on 15:51 - Jan 4 with 690 viewsOldsmoker

Occam's Razor.
The simplest explanation is usually the correct one.
A Met detective with a troublesome past has been asked to retire because of 'allegations' but refuses to go with the 'over my dead body' response.
They send him to Gaza and get him to ask some angry people with guns difficult and awkward questions.
What could possibly go wrong.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024