Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
TWTD Hive mind - Safari people 08:09 - Jan 5 with 956 viewsLord_Lucan

Went to Kruger last year and it was very good.

This year though I fancy going to a reserve within 3 hours of Cape Town so I can do just under a week Safari and then a week in Cape Town.

Problem is - I liked Kruger because you could do self drive safari but I can't find self drive near Cape Town. I really don't want to have to go on these multi people vehicle drives.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

TWTD Hive mind - Safari people on 08:38 - Jan 5 with 897 viewsblueislander

We went to the Masai Mara and it was magical. Our guide was brilliant, and personally wouldn’t do a self drive. Our guide knew the best places to see the various animals, and got us a prime position to see a crossing which was an unforgettable experience. Also did a dawn balloon trip which ended with a bit of crash landing.
TWTD Hive mind - Safari people on 08:52 - Jan 5 with 876 viewsbluelagos

Etosha was the one I was thinking of in Namibia. You won't find anything decent within 3 hours of CT - as it's just not got the habitat down there. It's a mediterranean climate.

Addo (Elephants) - the Penguins at Simonstown and if timed well - whales at Hermanus are you best bet for wildlife near Capetown - and Addo is a full days drive - the other two you can easily day trip.

And Baboons at Cape Point - those feckers will have your car arial in a nanosecond :-)

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=cape+point+monkeys#fpstat
[Post edited 5 Jan 8:58]

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

TWTD Hive mind - Safari people on 09:00 - Jan 5 with 849 viewsblueislander

TWTD Hive mind - Safari people on 08:52 - Jan 5 by bluelagos

Etosha was the one I was thinking of in Namibia. You won't find anything decent within 3 hours of CT - as it's just not got the habitat down there. It's a mediterranean climate.

Addo (Elephants) - the Penguins at Simonstown and if timed well - whales at Hermanus are you best bet for wildlife near Capetown - and Addo is a full days drive - the other two you can easily day trip.

And Baboons at Cape Point - those feckers will have your car arial in a nanosecond :-)

There is a wonderful elephant orphanage at Knysna just a couple of hours from Cape Town.
TWTD Hive mind - Safari people on 09:20 - Jan 5 with 794 viewschicoazul

Is that in Norfolk

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

TWTD Hive mind - Safari people on 10:31 - Jan 5 with 729 viewsJ2BLUE

Me realising this wasn't about the web browser:

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

TWTD Hive mind - Safari people on 11:30 - Jan 5 with 656 viewsWeWereZombies

Addo is an excellent shout, as is blueislander's Kynsna advice but that is because you can tie it in with a trip to Mitchell's Brewery (also at the V&A waterfront.)

If I manage Etosha or get down the Western Cape this trip I will report back.

Trip.com have been excellent so far by the way, a website that gives you gate numbers and seat numbers by email after you book - why cannot anyone else I use do this ?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

TWTD Hive mind - Safari people on 11:41 - Jan 5 with 624 viewsbelgablue

Also the great whites further down at gansbaai if they're around at the moment (remember a few years ago some killer whales came in so numbers disappeared)

You could do Kruger and then fly direct to Cape Town, would probably only cost you a few hours more in the grand scheme of things.

Enjoy :)

Poll: Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer?

TWTD Hive mind - Safari people on 20:03 - Jan 5 with 534 viewsWeWereZombies

I should give a caveat to my previous post that the information is ten years old now and follow it with another ten year old recommendation for two other game parks that are also way beyond the three hundred miles from Cape Town requirement but Hluhluwe-Imfolizi was a favourite and Mountain Zebra was surprisingly good.

Login to get fewer ads

TWTD Hive mind - Safari people on 07:35 - Jan 24 with 249 viewsWeWereZombies

As luck would have it I was chatting round the pool with a lad from Cape Town a couple of afternoons ago and he has passed on these recommendations:

Worcester: Fairy Glenn Nature Reserve (has the big five)
Oudtshoorn: Gongo Caves and ostrich farm
Hermanus: Whale festival in September, Heaven and Earth, something else that I can't 4ead now but I think is whale related.

There is also a penguin sanctuary that I went to ten years ago in the town which is South Africa's naval base, and of course the great drive along the coast road corniche down to the Cape of Good Hope.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024