Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Well that was odd 06:31 - Feb 21 with 1008 viewsAsa

So unlike us in every respect.

Fair play to Rotherham. Executed their plan brilliantly and drew us into playing how they wanted us to.

I’ve never sat there 30 minutes in, two goals ahead and only felt like two players had even been involved. Then we stopped finding Wes and playing the balls into Moore that got us joy.

Davis didn’t get forward once to supply any kind of cross. Morsy, Travis and Luongo never go going. The whole back five looked shaky in and out of possession.

Every time we looked remotely like passing the ball we absolutely carved them open. Then didn’t bother again for some time.

The old adage about not playing well and winning though. If anything maybe the dropping of standards that low in the only game we could get away with it ends up being a blessing.
Well that was odd on 06:43 - Feb 21 with 980 viewsle2blue

Almost a tactical masterclass from Richardson which almost got them a result. Deploy the high press man to man, pin Leaf with a high sided right midfielder (every diagonal was to his man meaning he couldn't get forward), two up top splitting to isolate our centre backs, get into our faces and deploy the dark arts of elbows and shirt pulls. I didn't think they'd be able to sustain it, but fair play to them they really stuck to their plan with energy.

We got totally sucked into their game plan, couldn't get our passing going and looked off it physically which is understandable given the two away games and the conditions at Swansea. Veno was sat by us lat night, will have given him plenty of food for thought in the run up to the saturday game. Did feel as though Kieran needed to change it tactically to get a foot hold in the second half, as per Mick Mills rant, but guess his principles are what have gotten us to where we are in the table, which is just incredible.
Well that was odd on 07:38 - Feb 21 with 849 viewsHerbivore

It was such a weird game. An outsider would be looking in and thinking it was a seven goals thriller but it was an absolute shocker of a game of football. Really poor quality, no flow to it. Fair play to Rotherham as you say, they managed to make it scrappy and their kind of game and we didn't manage that well at all. Thankfully we found a way to win despite all of that and despite Keith Stroud doing Keith Stroud things.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Well that was odd on 07:40 - Feb 21 with 836 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Well that was odd on 06:43 - Feb 21 by le2blue

Almost a tactical masterclass from Richardson which almost got them a result. Deploy the high press man to man, pin Leaf with a high sided right midfielder (every diagonal was to his man meaning he couldn't get forward), two up top splitting to isolate our centre backs, get into our faces and deploy the dark arts of elbows and shirt pulls. I didn't think they'd be able to sustain it, but fair play to them they really stuck to their plan with energy.

We got totally sucked into their game plan, couldn't get our passing going and looked off it physically which is understandable given the two away games and the conditions at Swansea. Veno was sat by us lat night, will have given him plenty of food for thought in the run up to the saturday game. Did feel as though Kieran needed to change it tactically to get a foot hold in the second half, as per Mick Mills rant, but guess his principles are what have gotten us to where we are in the table, which is just incredible.

What were MM's thoughts?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Well that was odd on 07:41 - Feb 21 with 833 viewsBseaBlue

A brilliant summary of the game. I don't think you can under estimate the tiredness of our squad though. It was probably the main reason we were so sloppy on possession and it definitely affected the decision making.

I also agree with you about the tactical changes. At the time, I thought maybe we should have brought Mass on to play in a midfield three with Morsy and Travis to get a foot hold, but at the end of the day I don't think we can really question the tactical decisions of a man that has lost just 4 league games this season!

I also think that high press is a huge risk to play against us by the way. Look how we carved them open when we were actually on it. Bring it on if teams want to try that and catch us when we are fresh.
[Post edited 21 Feb 7:42]
Well that was odd on 07:48 - Feb 21 with 770 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

We seem to find it particularly difficult against strong physical teams like Rotherham and West Brom. Essentially we let ourselves get bullied on and off the ball. Instead of shielding the ball, or riding the incoming strong challenge, we looked to offload the ball asap (hence our horrible pass completion). That wasn’t helped by a complete incompetent as a ref who let loads of fouls on us go unchecked (we even had to rely on the other officials he was that useless).

With the players we have like Chappers, Sarmiento, Hutchison we should be able to hold possession under pressure (as we normally do). Possibly there was an element of tiredness, but all teams are playing a lot of games. I think we just need to calm ourselves and look to draw the foul. A better team than Rotherham would have won easily last night.

Onwards and upwards!
Well that was odd on 10:03 - Feb 21 with 601 viewsEdwardStone

Well that was odd on 07:48 - Feb 21 by SuperKieranMcKenna

We seem to find it particularly difficult against strong physical teams like Rotherham and West Brom. Essentially we let ourselves get bullied on and off the ball. Instead of shielding the ball, or riding the incoming strong challenge, we looked to offload the ball asap (hence our horrible pass completion). That wasn’t helped by a complete incompetent as a ref who let loads of fouls on us go unchecked (we even had to rely on the other officials he was that useless).

With the players we have like Chappers, Sarmiento, Hutchison we should be able to hold possession under pressure (as we normally do). Possibly there was an element of tiredness, but all teams are playing a lot of games. I think we just need to calm ourselves and look to draw the foul. A better team than Rotherham would have won easily last night.

Onwards and upwards!

My hot take is that Rovverum are just a poor man's WBA

Very aggressive and physical but not quite so skilled with the ball

We didn't command the midfield and endlessly found ourselves having to play their game, not ours

A valiant and very welcome 3 points, my blood pressure will be somewhere near normal just in time for Saturday's game
Well that was odd on 10:49 - Feb 21 with 541 viewsGuthrum

Rotherham were also extremely effective in their use of the long ball, both from the 'keeper and the defenders. Dropping them with great precision onto the last line of our defence and always with someone there to compete for the ball. We were having to commit so many to dealing with that there was nobody up field for our own clearances. So the ball would be fired straight back, time and time again, relentlessly.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Well that was odd on 11:00 - Feb 21 with 502 viewscooperd5

Well that was odd on 07:38 - Feb 21 by Herbivore

It was such a weird game. An outsider would be looking in and thinking it was a seven goals thriller but it was an absolute shocker of a game of football. Really poor quality, no flow to it. Fair play to Rotherham as you say, they managed to make it scrappy and their kind of game and we didn't manage that well at all. Thankfully we found a way to win despite all of that and despite Keith Stroud doing Keith Stroud things.

spot on, a terrible game to watch but at least we came out the right side of it for once, how many times has that not been the case? Especially against lower league position "easier" teams...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024