Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bristol City report 14:26 - Mar 7 with 1823 viewsITFCWicklow

Hi All ,

I'm a long time town fan and lurker on TWTD for years. I'm from Ireland so getting to games regularly isn't an option but usually manage to get at least one game in a season since 1999/2000 playoff year .I travelled over with my brother and my nephew for the game on Tuesday and thought a summary of my view on it would be a good introduction to a more active participation on the forum.
Covid interrupted our annual trips and the last game we are at before Tuesday was the dismal 4 v 1 loss to Peterbourgh in January 2020 so comparing ITFC then and now would take an eternity to write up. I've watched or listened to pretty much every game this season on Town TV or Sky but the perspective you get at the game is always better. I'll keep my summary as brief as possible and hope you all take something from it.

1. Footballing style : Brilliant , great to watch , and I am getting more comfortable looking at us knocking it about in our third until we find the gap to play through. The diagonal long pass (rather than just long ball!) generally from right to left seeking Davis is so effective and alone worth coming to see.
2. Team work & spirit : Our pressing, work off the ball, commitment to cause is excellent - no room in that group for any malingering or cry babies. Looks to me like you have to buy in or you move elsewhere. Players not going particularly well in a game are still contributing to the overall goal (I'm thinking Moore and Hutchinson on Tuesday - wasn't their greatest days but still put in proper shifts).
3. Tactic's/Substitutions : The ability to adjust things mid game isn't something you can just do , it has to be coached into the group and the group has to buy in and really trust the management team on it. A three or four man substitution at the one time was once an indication of the manager being cheesed off at a terrible team performance or seeing out a emphatic win and resting players for coming games. On Tuesday night we do it and the whole game changes - new energy and uplift in tempo , new men in just picked up the baton and ran faster with it. Even with the concession of the goals , missing the penalty (why isn't Davis or Chaplin taking those anyway!) the self belief never faltered.
4. Atmosphere : Probably the best I've had at Portman Road (maybe aside from the playoff game against the shower up the road in 2015 when I was right in line with Anderson when he scored). Great to see an almost full house (terrible for getting tickets though , had to take restricted view in block M as we didn't think of more coming available from Bristol allocation). Absolutely savage scenes whenever we scored and
great to hear so much noise in the ground. For years we have been coming to watch dross on the pitch and feel apathy in the stands - that for me is the greatest turnaround and as a fan its what you want , atmosphere, enthusiasm and belief in the crowd has to feed into the team.
5. General : We had a fair old session on the Tuesday , started in Issac's about 12.30 and worked our way around a lot of pubs during the day and finished up around 1pm. I planned on writing this in Stanstead yesterday while waiting for the plane but the hangover wouldn't cooperate!

Anyway we are on cusp - Leeds and Southampton have already blinked and our eyes are still on the prize , it can be done , I see us going straight up
Bristol City report on 14:57 - Mar 7 with 1614 viewsportmanroadblue

Wow, hangover after half an hour, proper lightweight. Nice report tho.
Bristol City report on 15:25 - Mar 7 with 1487 viewsjoepublic

I was thinking about our penalty taker earlier and Davis never occurred to me.

Think that is a good shout!

Enjoyable report.

Poll: If you had to choose one other team to join us in the automatic places?

Bristol City report on 15:47 - Mar 7 with 1395 viewsSteve_M

Glad you enjoyed it. Some contrast since your last match, although I think the Tuesday night defeat to Fleetwood felt even more soul destroying than that Peterborough game.

I reckon you should splash out and make it twice a season now.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Bristol City report on 15:48 - Mar 7 with 1375 viewsBiGDonnie

Bristol City report on 15:25 - Mar 7 by joepublic

Enjoyable report.

I think Taylor would be great, but obviously he's not always on the pitch.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Bristol City report on 15:50 - Mar 7 with 1365 viewsPhilTWTD

Enjoyable report.

I'm assuming Broadhead is our penalty taker. After Millwall Kieran said our regular taker wasn't on the field at the time. I wonder if Kieffer had been down to take them on Tuesday as he'd gone off by that point. Still surprised Chaplin didn't take it, though. Re Davis, not sure he's confident enough in front of goal.
Bristol City report on 16:35 - Mar 7 with 1220 viewsVegtablue

Enjoyable report.

Davis is performing below his xG as it happens. Maybe the dead-ball nature of penalties would suit much better, but he hasn't shown shooting prowess in open play.

Chaplin's overall penalty record is 4:5. With us he's 5:2, so better, but in the league it's 1:2.

Broadhead's overall record is good, 5:1. With us he's 2:1.

Hirst overall is 8:2. 1:0 with us.

Al-Hamadi is 1:3. Wimbledon took him off penalty duties and we should too.

Our cleanest striker of the ball is Taylor, but he often isn't on the pitch and has only taken 1 penalty before (scored for us in the cup). JCH was penalty-taker at Posh, probably written into his contract!

Broadhead and Chaplin were on the pitch when Hirst took his penalty, which was won by Taylor, so my guess is George was the nominated guy prior to his injury.

My first pick would be Moore if on the field. His overall record is 7:2, but he's also 7:0 since his early misses in lower league. He was Cardiff's penalty-taker and scored all 5.
Bristol City report on 17:13 - Mar 7 with 1113 viewsMattinLondon

Bristol City report on 15:50 - Mar 7 by PhilTWTD

I'm assuming Broadhead is our penalty taker. After Millwall Kieran said our regular taker wasn't on the field at the time. I wonder if Kieffer had been down to take them on Tuesday as he'd gone off by that point. Still surprised Chaplin didn't take it, though. Re Davis, not sure he's confident enough in front of goal.

Had a quick look at his wiki page as I couldn’t remember how many goals LD had scored for us. His wiki page ends

He is considered a more complete left back to Luke Shaw and is better than Zinchenko.

Well done to whoever exited LDs page.
Bristol City report on 17:39 - Mar 7 with 1040 viewsFtnfwest

Bristol City report on 15:47 - Mar 7 by Steve_M

Glad you enjoyed it. Some contrast since your last match, although I think the Tuesday night defeat to Fleetwood felt even more soul destroying than that Peterborough game.

I reckon you should splash out and make it twice a season now.

Remember that night for the Fleetwood fans singing 'you're not ipswich anymore '. They were right
Login to get fewer ads

Bristol City report on 10:06 - Mar 8 with 568 viewsHarlestonblue

A great read. Enjoyed your account of the match!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024