Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
‘Fake photo’ drama from the Royals… 22:37 - Mar 10 with 8474 viewsSitfcB

[Post edited 10 Mar 22:38]

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

‘Fake photo’ drama from the Royals… on 09:33 - Mar 12 with 943 viewsPortmanteauxcurling

‘Fake photo’ drama from the Royals… on 09:18 - Mar 12 by NthQldITFC

As an aside, and to try to take my mind off thinking about the above, I wonder whether AI usage in image manipulation is more difficult to detect in Norfolk, or whether perhaps the training for the engines was done in Norfolk or using photos of people from Norfolk. Digitally diverse Norfolk.

Was this picture taken at Sandringham perhaps? Where does the Royal Jeweller work when he's resizing rings? Isn't he related to the Royal Beekeeper responsible for the Royal Jelly? I think we need to know. (No, I'm still thinking about it.)

Perhaps this will help to take your mind off it.

‘Fake photo’ drama from the Royals… on 09:51 - Mar 12 with 892 viewsNthQldITFC

‘Fake photo’ drama from the Royals… on 09:27 - Mar 12 by Cheltenham_Blue

That's a bit lazy of you to be honest.

It's about editorial integrity, nothing more, nothing less.
If a newspaper is prepared to publish an image that has been altered, how can any image in that publication be trusted as the truth ever again.

I'm not talking about dog w4nk images of celebrities here, I couldn't give two sh1ts about them. I'm talking about the images you NEED to be trusted, like images of atrocities, or images need to be shown to raise awareness of an issue in the UK or abroad, it's those images that will suffer if we don't 'kill' manipulated images like this, no matter the celebrity status of the photographer.

Realistically, in a few years at most, isn't it going to be impossible to detect manipulated images because once the generation technology and learned logic is too good for human eyes to detect, then you're relying on technology to detect itself and in practice all of the logic which develops for detection will be available for manipulation to take another simple step beyond?

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

‘Fake photo’ drama from the Royals… on 10:06 - Mar 12 with 869 viewsWeWereZombies

If a newspaper is prepared to publish an image that has been altered, how can any image in that publication be trusted as the truth ever again.

I'm not talking about dog w4nk images of celebrities here, I couldn't give two sh1ts about them. I'm talking about the images you NEED to be trusted, like images of atrocities, or images need to be shown to raise awareness of an issue in the UK or abroad, it's those images that will suffer if we don't 'kill' manipulated images like this, no matter the celebrity status of the photographer.

There is another way of viewing this, do we focus (sorry for the word confusion here) on the subject or the imaging ? By that I mean that a photograph is always going to be taken by a machine (or camera if you prefer) that will require focusing and maybe filters (but we have something similar in our own optical processes going on in the eyes and brain) and therefore has an element of manipulation from the outset. That is before we consider how a photo is cropped or the thought processes that go on in the photographer's mind to select one viewpoint over another. The subject of a photo and how the photo draws our attention to it surely always needs corroboration from other media for our appreciation of it to be useful.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

‘Fake photo’ drama from the Royals… on 10:37 - Mar 12 with 827 viewsKingsCrossBlue

Totally agree... years ago I worked with the PA on a project surrounding fake news. The lengths they go to verify and fact check a story, and more importantly images and video clips are impressive. Especially under time pressure to push the story out.

I can't remember the specifics - but after a bombing in a European airport - the PA recieved hundreds of supposed 'live witness' accounts of mobile phone footage from the scene. About 90% were completely bogus and some even from a different decade.

Without this level of integrity there is no trust - especially as the PA sits near the top of the news tree. I really don't know how they'll manage with the advent and progression of creative AI.
‘Fake photo’ drama from the Royals… on 20:26 - Mar 19 with 556 viewsChorleyBoy

‘Fake photo’ drama from the Royals… on 12:09 - Mar 11 by redrickstuhaart

Entertaining to see that she doesnt bother with a wedding ring.

And her daughter only bothers with a heel on her right shoe.

LOL
‘Fake photo’ drama from the Royals… on 07:19 - Mar 20 with 426 views_clive_baker_

‘Fake photo’ drama from the Royals… on 20:26 - Mar 19 by ChorleyBoy

And her daughter only bothers with a heel on her right shoe.

LOL

I don’t think it’s a heel, I make it unlikely that an 8 year old Royal is going to be cutting about in heels. It looks like a tassel off the shoe.
‘Fake photo’ drama from the Royals… on 08:15 - Mar 20 with 367 viewsLeaky

‘Fake photo’ drama from the Royals… on 09:15 - Mar 11 by DJR

At a time when people are expressing concerns about conspiracy theories and fake news, including AI potentially being an influence in the forthcoming elections here and in the US, it is not a good look if the Royal Family appears (at face value) to have indulged in manipulation of a photo put out to dispel rumours.

And it's a pretty serious thing that various news agencies have put out "kill notices".

This, for me, is the real issue, not Kate's actual health, but maybe it mirrors what was done in the case of cause of the Queen's death, which on the death certificate was given as "old age" (as if those with blue blood couldn't have disease) when it subsequently emerged that she apparently had a form of cancer.
[Post edited 11 Mar 9:21]

So a lady in her 90's didn't die of old age. Odd
‘Fake photo’ drama from the Royals… on 09:20 - Mar 20 with 306 viewsChorleyBoy

‘Fake photo’ drama from the Royals… on 07:19 - Mar 20 by _clive_baker_

I don’t think it’s a heel, I make it unlikely that an 8 year old Royal is going to be cutting about in heels. It looks like a tassel off the shoe.

I'll give you that.

But why would anyone Photoshop tassels onto their kid's shoes?
Login to get fewer ads

‘Fake photo’ drama from the Royals… on 09:22 - Mar 20 with 302 viewsWeWereZombies

‘Fake photo’ drama from the Royals… on 08:15 - Mar 20 by Leaky

So a lady in her 90's didn't die of old age. Odd

Was disappointed that she didn't make the hundred, not least because she couldn't send herself a telegram saying 'It's about time...'

With the level of healthcare she enjoyed 'in her nineties' seemed young so there must have been contributory factors, I mean all that extra work that she was lumbered with because of Brexit cannot of helped.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024