Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Karl Wallinger RIP 23:35 - Mar 11 with 1788 viewsParisBlue

[Post edited 11 Mar 23:35]

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Karl Wallinger RIP on 23:42 - Mar 11 with 1747 viewsfactual_blue

I was upset to find out that Ian Amey (Tich in Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich) died about a month ago.

RIP,

Dave Dee was a policeman before becoming a rock god. He was in the Wiltshire Police and was the first officer on the scene of the crash that killed Eddie Cochran and seriously injured Gene Vincent. He started to learn guitar on Cochran's guitar while it was impounded at the police station.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Karl Wallinger RIP on 00:25 - Mar 12 with 1689 viewsWeWereZombies

Your post set me off on a Wikipedia wander that led me to an album that I have known about for years and never investigated. Thanks.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Karl Wallinger RIP on 00:47 - Mar 12 with 1671 viewsgainsboroughblue

Karl Wallinger RIP on 00:25 - Mar 12 by WeWereZombies

Your post set me off on a Wikipedia wander that led me to an album that I have known about for years and never investigated. Thanks.

That album took something like 15 years to complete after thr initial recordings. Sadly, a lot of contributors have since departed.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Karl Wallinger RIP on 07:51 - Mar 12 with 1499 viewsWhos_blue

Oh man.

Was gutted to hear this news this morning.
Although much of the reporting focusses on his time with The Waterboys, specifically the big hit Whole of the moon, I was, and still am, a huge fan of his work with World Party.
When I'm at a loose end, World Party are often one of my go to bands when I want something to listen to.
Never commercially huge, his songwriting was fantastic and they were a great live act, driven along by the mighty Chris Sharrock on drums. He also worked with Guy Chambers, who later went on to guide Robbie Williams through much of his greatest work. She's the one was written by Karl and first featured on Egyptology. Chambers gave it to RW.
Karl gave us so much incredible music over the years and I'm sad today that he's gone. Go well Karl.

[Post edited 12 Mar 8:04]

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

Karl Wallinger RIP on 07:55 - Mar 12 with 1489 viewsGlasgowBlue

This always reminded me of the Kinks. R.I.P.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Karl Wallinger RIP on 07:57 - Mar 12 with 1482 viewsBlueBoots

Really shtty news to start the day...very underrated band, made some great albums:

[Post edited 12 Mar 8:00]

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

Karl Wallinger RIP on 09:03 - Mar 12 with 1416 viewsBlueyandCrazy

Karl Wallinger RIP on 07:57 - Mar 12 by BlueBoots

Really shtty news to start the day...very underrated band, made some great albums:

[Post edited 12 Mar 8:00]

Just seen this too……so sad.
Massively underrated multi-talented musician
Bang! Is one of my favourite albums ever - just putting on in his memory.

RIP Karl Wallinger

Poll: Worst ever ITFC manager

Karl Wallinger RIP on 09:33 - Mar 12 with 1389 viewsAtmosphere

A great friend of mine Jeff Trott played on the Goodbye Jumbo album and I met Karl Wallinger during the recording of that album. A great song writer and a priviledge to have met him.
[Post edited 13 Mar 22:03]
Login to get fewer ads

Karl Wallinger RIP on 09:50 - Mar 12 with 1364 viewsleitrimblue

Karl Wallinger RIP on 09:33 - Mar 12 by Atmosphere

A great friend of mine Jeff Trott played on the Goodbye Jumbo album and I met Karl Wallinger during the recording of that album. A great song writer and a priviledge to have met him.

One of the Waterboys is my neighbour
Karl Wallinger RIP on 10:20 - Mar 12 with 1346 viewscbower

Really sad news. World Party such an underrated band. Loved Private Revolution and Goodbye Jumbo albums. Especially fond of "Don’t you know, it can be beautiful.....sometimes" - the most magnficent track which can capture my melancholy when necessary. Have a little listen for yourself.
Go join the World Party wherever it is Karl Wallinger and play them your tunes.
"Have you ever been to Love Street?
Have you tried on all the the shoes?
They're for walking on the clouds with,
Not for down here in the Blues"
Walk in the clouds Karl - RIP.
[Post edited 12 Mar 10:23]

bluescouser

Karl Wallinger RIP on 22:12 - Mar 12 with 1213 viewsFfluff01

Karl Wallinger RIP on 07:51 - Mar 12 by Whos_blue

Oh man.

Was gutted to hear this news this morning.
Although much of the reporting focusses on his time with The Waterboys, specifically the big hit Whole of the moon, I was, and still am, a huge fan of his work with World Party.
When I'm at a loose end, World Party are often one of my go to bands when I want something to listen to.
Never commercially huge, his songwriting was fantastic and they were a great live act, driven along by the mighty Chris Sharrock on drums. He also worked with Guy Chambers, who later went on to guide Robbie Williams through much of his greatest work. She's the one was written by Karl and first featured on Egyptology. Chambers gave it to RW.
Karl gave us so much incredible music over the years and I'm sad today that he's gone. Go well Karl.

[Post edited 12 Mar 8:04]

Karl Wallinger was an absolute hero of mine. So sad he’s gone.
Here’s a slightly different take on the Robbie Williams/Shes The One story..
Be sure to listen to the version KW plays..

Karl Wallinger RIP on 22:18 - Mar 12 with 1201 viewsFfluff01

Karl Wallinger RIP on 09:50 - Mar 12 by leitrimblue

One of the Waterboys is my neighbour

👍
[Post edited 12 Mar 22:36]
Karl Wallinger RIP on 22:36 - Mar 12 with 1176 viewsFfluff01

Karl Wallinger RIP on 09:33 - Mar 12 by Atmosphere

My love, borderline obsession with the early, and best incarnation of The Waterboys, led me to see them live many times in the early to mid 80’s. They played the Town and Country Club in Kentish Town on the release of This is The Sea. Sinead O’Connor came on stage for her live London debut that night. The support band was Wire Train who were magnificent! Jeff Trott was wonderful and I had a whole new band to obsess over. Still love all their albums and they’re played all the time. Please thank him for the music!
Karl Wallinger RIP on 10:40 - Mar 13 with 1081 viewsAtmosphere

Karl Wallinger RIP on 22:36 - Mar 12 by Ffluff01

My love, borderline obsession with the early, and best incarnation of The Waterboys, led me to see them live many times in the early to mid 80’s. They played the Town and Country Club in Kentish Town on the release of This is The Sea. Sinead O’Connor came on stage for her live London debut that night. The support band was Wire Train who were magnificent! Jeff Trott was wonderful and I had a whole new band to obsess over. Still love all their albums and they’re played all the time. Please thank him for the music!

I have known Jeff since pre Wire Train Days and was one of 6 best men at his wedding in San Francisco in 1987. He currently resides in Nashville and still works with Sheryl Crow as well as doing a lot of production work. I saw them a couple of times on the Waterboys tour including a show at the Hammersmith Palais. I will be sure to pass your comments on to him.
[Post edited 13 Mar 22:05]
Karl Wallinger RIP on 11:09 - Mar 13 with 1035 viewsleitrimblue

Karl Wallinger RIP on 22:18 - Mar 12 by Ffluff01

👍
[Post edited 12 Mar 22:36]

My partner knows him much better then myself due to them both playing the fiddle. Tells me he was one of the originals from the 80,s whole of the moon period
Karl Wallinger RIP on 11:43 - Mar 13 with 1017 viewsFfluff01

Karl Wallinger RIP on 10:40 - Mar 13 by Atmosphere

I have known Jeff since pre Wire Train Days and was one of 6 best men at his wedding in San Francisco in 1987. He currently resides in Nashville and still works with Sheryl Crow as well as doing a lot of production work. I saw them a couple of times on the Waterboys tour including a show at the Hammersmith Palais. I will be sure to pass your comments on to him.
[Post edited 13 Mar 22:05]

That’s great and thank you. I loved Wire Train and how they evolved their sound towards the end of their time together, particularly on the self titled record - sublime.

Well, I was at that Hammersmith Palais gig - May 1986!

I was in the front row and WT again, were superb. The Waterboys then played for hours and very late on in the night, they came back and played Purple Rain with Jeff Trott joining on lead guitar. It was quite something and I know i have pictures and a recording somewhere!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024