Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So much for supposed electricity price "reductions" 20:07 - Apr 3 with 1669 viewsRyorry

Daily standing charge prices have actually gone *up* - by 11.44p in Yorkshire -bringing the standing charge here to 67.44p! This cost of this price rise will, over 1 year, exceed the small reduction in tariff prices to result in a bigger bill for millions of people. (Am leaving out any further price changes in June just for the mo).

What's even more outrageous is that the DSC cap isn't even standard throughout the UK - in London e g., ir's 40.79p! Considering that Yorkshire generates at least some power from renewables & London doesn't, I'm stumped as to how that can be justified. DSC caps are decided by Ofgen btw, not the individual suppliers (although the latter have leeway to raise or lower them depending on th=ir tariff prices).

Poll: Time of the annunciation

So much for supposed electricity price "reductions" on 20:20 - Apr 3 with 1614 viewsDubtractor

Are you sure you'll be worse off?

10p on standing charge = £3 a month extra.

3p off per unit (which is what I've had as a reduction) at 300 units (about right for a winter month) is a saving of £9 a month.

Don't disagree that increasing the standing charge feels like a piss take, but there is still a saving, at least with my reduction anyway.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

So much for supposed electricity price "reductions" on 20:32 - Apr 3 with 1574 views_clive_baker_

The standing charges are a joke, they've pretty much doubled over the past 3 years. I'm on the hook for £30 a month for Gas and Electric before I've even used a unit. I would rather see more in the variable bit as it would at least allow people to manage the cost a bit more through usage which is also better for the planet.
So much for supposed electricity price "reductions" on 20:39 - Apr 3 with 1556 viewsJ2BLUE

The gas standing charge is even worse for me. I barely use any gas.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

So much for supposed electricity price "reductions" on 21:09 - Apr 3 with 1482 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

The real stitch up is paying the rate for whichever power source is highest. So if renewables are generating energy cheaper, you’d still pay the rate at which gas is being burned (or vice versa). Believe it’s a system knocked up by the regulators as well.

Natural gas wholesale prices are largely back to pre-war levels, so I guess that why they’ve upped the standing charges instead.
So much for supposed electricity price "reductions" on 21:35 - Apr 3 with 1392 viewsRyorry

So much for supposed electricity price "reductions" on 20:20 - Apr 3 by Dubtractor

Are you sure you'll be worse off?

10p on standing charge = £3 a month extra.

3p off per unit (which is what I've had as a reduction) at 300 units (about right for a winter month) is a saving of £9 a month.

Don't disagree that increasing the standing charge feels like a piss take, but there is still a saving, at least with my reduction anyway.

Yes. Octopus has gone up to 68.87 DSC.

EDIT If your/anyone's unit prices have dropped by 3p/unit, lucky you, cos mine have dropped by a whole whopping 0.18p (night) and 0.43p (day)!

I virtually never use peak rate elec for appliaces like cooker, washer, kettle (am on E7, which as my meter's an old E10 one, means I get 10 hrs cheap rate daily).

Needless to say I'll be looking around to switch.
[Post edited 4 Apr 10:24]

So much for supposed electricity price "reductions" on 10:23 - Apr 4 with 1125 viewsRyorry

So much for supposed electricity price "reductions" on 21:09 - Apr 3 by SuperKieranMcKenna

The real stitch up is paying the rate for whichever power source is highest. So if renewables are generating energy cheaper, you’d still pay the rate at which gas is being burned (or vice versa). Believe it’s a system knocked up by the regulators as well.

Natural gas wholesale prices are largely back to pre-war levels, so I guess that why they’ve upped the standing charges instead.

Didn't know that! (edit: esp re your first para). Does it still apply if you don't have gas cos you live in an area which (like us) isn't even on mains gas?
[Post edited 4 Apr 10:36]

So much for supposed electricity price "reductions" on 11:18 - Apr 4 with 1075 viewsEdwardStone

Standing charge is iniquitous and regressive, it falls more heavily on the low energy user

My local Tesco doesn't charge me a daily levy just in case I fancy popping in for lunchtime meal deal or a CTM ready meal on the way home

Scrap the standing charge.... put in banded pricing with the first lump of energy cheap and then prices climb the more is used..... that should help those on modest income and make sense of energy efficiency
So much for supposed electricity price "reductions" on 12:13 - Apr 4 with 1031 viewsRyorry

So much for supposed electricity price "reductions" on 11:18 - Apr 4 by EdwardStone

Standing charge is iniquitous and regressive, it falls more heavily on the low energy user

My local Tesco doesn't charge me a daily levy just in case I fancy popping in for lunchtime meal deal or a CTM ready meal on the way home

Scrap the standing charge.... put in banded pricing with the first lump of energy cheap and then prices climb the more is used..... that should help those on modest income and make sense of energy efficiency

And CTM don't half have some monster machinery needing to pay its way
https://www.ctmrootcropsystems.co.uk/

You're spot on though, shame you're not CEO at Ofgem/Energy Minister in Labour govt.

Login to get fewer ads

So much for supposed electricity price "reductions" on 12:36 - Apr 4 with 997 viewsEdwardStone

So much for supposed electricity price "reductions" on 12:13 - Apr 4 by Ryorry

And CTM don't half have some monster machinery needing to pay its way
https://www.ctmrootcropsystems.co.uk/

You're spot on though, shame you're not CEO at Ofgem/Energy Minister in Labour govt.

Ha... CTM in this instance would be Chicken Tikka Masala

So much for supposed electricity price "reductions" on 12:41 - Apr 4 with 970 viewsRyorry

So much for supposed electricity price "reductions" on 12:36 - Apr 4 by EdwardStone

Ha... CTM in this instance would be Chicken Tikka Masala

😂 After I googled it n everything!

So much for supposed electricity price "reductions" on 13:04 - Apr 4 with 944 viewsDubtractor

So much for supposed electricity price "reductions" on 10:23 - Apr 4 by Ryorry

Didn't know that! (edit: esp re your first para). Does it still apply if you don't have gas cos you live in an area which (like us) isn't even on mains gas?
[Post edited 4 Apr 10:36]

I know a little bit (emphasis on little) about the UK energy market, and its not so much that your bill at home tracks the highest price, but more that the electricity market price tracks the gas price, regardless of the cost of generating electricity.

The significant reason for that is that a lot of the electricity in this country is created by burning gas. As a result the market sales price for electricity from renewable sources, such as wind, for which costs were unchanged, went up in line with everything else over the last 2 years.

So the gas price was the cause of the huge price increase across the board, even though generating costs didn't go up for all electricity. Nuclear energy being the other obvious one alongside renewable.

Government did introduce a 40% tax on the superprofits for those generators that benefitted from those circumstances.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

So much for supposed electricity price "reductions" on 17:10 - Apr 4 with 798 viewsRyorry

So much for supposed electricity price "reductions" on 13:04 - Apr 4 by Dubtractor

I know a little bit (emphasis on little) about the UK energy market, and its not so much that your bill at home tracks the highest price, but more that the electricity market price tracks the gas price, regardless of the cost of generating electricity.

The significant reason for that is that a lot of the electricity in this country is created by burning gas. As a result the market sales price for electricity from renewable sources, such as wind, for which costs were unchanged, went up in line with everything else over the last 2 years.

So the gas price was the cause of the huge price increase across the board, even though generating costs didn't go up for all electricity. Nuclear energy being the other obvious one alongside renewable.

Government did introduce a 40% tax on the superprofits for those generators that benefitted from those circumstances.

Ah, thanks for the info 👍

So much for supposed electricity price "reductions" on 18:19 - Apr 4 with 759 viewsOldFart71

Here goes, having a real moan about everything in Britain. Dropped the Great as it's far from that. The main excuse seems to be charge everyone as much as you can get away with whilst giving the least service possible. If in April they come up with this garbage that inflation has fallen it really shows what a joke things are. Water Company's dumping sewage into rivers and then having the cheek to charge more for something they should have sorted years ago. But instead paying shareholders millions. Roads worse than I have ever known them and train drivers on huge wages holding the Country to ransom whilst a junior doctor is on £14.09 an hour. Schools and hospitals falling down whilst patients and visiting loved one's having to pay through the nose to park. Those in hospital receiving a daily allowance of food less than someone in prison. I could write all day and night about the absolute disgrace of how this Country is run and believe me it won't suddenly be much better under Labour as the amount of money wasted by the Tories will take years to get this Country back on an even keel.
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024