Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Free movement for 18-30 year olds? 15:33 - Apr 18 with 3832 viewsDJR

As someone with children aged 20 and 23 who might well take advantage, this is potentially great news. I doubt the Tories would go along with it, but let's hope Labour don't rule it out in an effort to appeal to the Red Wall. I rather fear they will though.

Commission proposes Brexit deal for 18 to 30 year olds
Lisa O'Carroll

The European Commission has proposed opening negotiations with the UK to allow free movement enjoyed before Brexit to millions of 18 to 30 year olds in a major post Brexit concession.

It said it will now seek approval from individual EU leaders to start the talks which will see one of the most controversial elements of Brexit, a block on the right to live in each others countries visa free, partially eliminated.

Under the envisaged agreement, both EU and UK citizens aged between 18 to 30 years would be able to stay for up to 4 years in the destination country, the European Commission said in a detailed statement.

“The objective would be to facilitate youth exchanges, making it easier for young EU citizens to travel, work and live in the UK, with reciprocity for young UK nationals in a member state,” the Commission said.

EDIT: Here's a link to the Commission's proposals.

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/qanda_24_2109
[Post edited 18 Apr 15:35]
Free movement for 18-30 year olds? on 14:06 - Apr 19 with 950 viewsEuropablue

There is no reason why this agreement could not be made even in the context of Brexit. I know a lot of Brexiters will say that it goes against the spirit of Brexit, but it is also a concession from the EU.
There is a lot of nuance in this whole discussion as long as people don't get obsessed with being on the Remainer side or Brexit side.
This kind of agreement is a benefit of Brexit because the UK gets to set the parameters of immigration rather than just letting anyone in indefinitely no questions asked.
Inevitably this will get spun as a tribal issue and the Conservatives won't be able to embrace the policy and the red wall will see this as a betrayal from the Labour party.
This kind of party politics is why we can't have nice things.
Free movement for 18-30 year olds? on 19:12 - Apr 19 with 870 viewscressi

See I voted remain countries like Spain ,Portugal and Europe kicked themselves in the nuts with the new rules. As did people voting for brexit here because it was generally people over 55 buying a property abroad and spending their money overthere now only 90 days at a time and home you come. Done nobody any good unless you come to UK Via dingy.
Free movement for 18-30 year olds? on 19:17 - Apr 19 with 861 viewsnoggin

Free movement for 18-30 year olds? on 19:12 - Apr 19 by cressi

See I voted remain countries like Spain ,Portugal and Europe kicked themselves in the nuts with the new rules. As did people voting for brexit here because it was generally people over 55 buying a property abroad and spending their money overthere now only 90 days at a time and home you come. Done nobody any good unless you come to UK Via dingy.

That makes absolutely no sense.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

(No subject) on 20:04 - Apr 19 with 830 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Post edited 27 Apr 7:32]
Free movement for 18-30 year olds? on 20:20 - Apr 19 with 784 viewsSwansea_Blue

(No subject) on 20:04 - Apr 19 by victorywilhappen

[Post edited 27 Apr 7:32]

Indeed. But we count students in our immigration figures and for some reason having a successful industry training them is now see as a dirty thing.

The uni sector is utterly fecked. Overseas students were 40% lower for us this year due to the xenophobic policies of the Tories. Home student fees have flatlined for over a decade while costs spiral. How to take a successful global industry and shaft it in 14 years - it’s the Tory way.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

(No subject) (n/t) on 20:39 - Apr 19 with 748 viewsvictorywilhappen

Free movement for 18-30 year olds? on 20:20 - Apr 19 by Swansea_Blue

Indeed. But we count students in our immigration figures and for some reason having a successful industry training them is now see as a dirty thing.

The uni sector is utterly fecked. Overseas students were 40% lower for us this year due to the xenophobic policies of the Tories. Home student fees have flatlined for over a decade while costs spiral. How to take a successful global industry and shaft it in 14 years - it’s the Tory way.

[Post edited 27 Apr 7:33]
Free movement for 18-30 year olds? on 20:45 - Apr 19 with 725 viewsDJR

As I suggested in the OP, both Tory and Labour have rejected the proposals.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/apr/19/sunak-rejects-offer-of-mobility

The more time goes on the more I realise that I have very little in common with the current Labour Party and that my decision to leave the party in the autumn was absolutely right.
Free movement for 18-30 year olds? on 20:52 - Apr 19 with 706 viewsBarcaBlue

Free movement for 18-30 year olds? on 19:12 - Apr 19 by cressi

What new rules did they introduce that kicked themselves in the nuts with? I don't have experience with other EU countries but Spain reacted admirably to the clusterfeck that was Brexit. I received a shiny new residence permit with a complete lack of pain or hassle.
Login to get fewer ads

(No subject) on 20:54 - Apr 19 with 697 viewsvictorywilhappen

Free movement for 18-30 year olds? on 20:45 - Apr 19 by DJR

As I suggested in the OP, both Tory and Labour have rejected the proposals.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/apr/19/sunak-rejects-offer-of-mobility

The more time goes on the more I realise that I have very little in common with the current Labour Party and that my decision to leave the party in the autumn was absolutely right.

[Post edited 27 Apr 7:34]
Free movement for 18-30 year olds? on 20:57 - Apr 19 with 692 viewsDJR

Free movement for 18-30 year olds? on 20:52 - Apr 19 by BarcaBlue

What new rules did they introduce that kicked themselves in the nuts with? I don't have experience with other EU countries but Spain reacted admirably to the clusterfeck that was Brexit. I received a shiny new residence permit with a complete lack of pain or hassle.

And my experience of an urbanisation in the southern Costa Blanca is that there are plenty of Germans, Norwegians and Swedes to buy the properties that Brits hoping to move or retire to Spain might have once done..
[Post edited 20 Apr 9:37]
Free movement for 18-30 year olds? on 21:31 - Apr 19 with 634 viewsSwansea_Blue

(No subject) (n/t) on 20:39 - Apr 19 by victorywilhappen

[Post edited 27 Apr 7:33]

Overseas bases is now the big thing. If you can’t bring students here in the numbers we need, then develop facilities overseas and have a remote campus. Effectively it’s just the market adjusting to deal with the barriers the government have put in the way of recruiting overseas students for UK-based courses. The demand is there as the UK still has a great reputation for university education in some parts of the world. You’re quite right that colonialism is important, but not in terms of course content. Ex-colonial or commonwealth nations really value UK universities; they’re a huge potential market, but we’re deliberately putting the off.

You’re spot on with your comment about the future at home being lost too. The sector is in a right mess and getting worse. The government doesn’t value the sector nor appreciate the genuine ‘world-leading’ expertise we have (irony klaxon given their meaningless soundbites about sh*t stuff they claim is world leading). Every policy over the last 14 years has made it harder to generate income, harder to recruit students and staff and harder to retain students and staff. In a nutshell, the government have been intellectual vandals.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Free movement for 18-30 year olds? on 21:57 - Apr 19 with 596 viewsArnoldMoorhen

(No subject) on 20:54 - Apr 19 by victorywilhappen

[Post edited 27 Apr 7:34]

I'm trying to work out if there is any context in which "art poofs" might be ok...

Nope. There isn't.
(No subject) on 22:04 - Apr 19 with 578 viewsvictorywilhappen

Free movement for 18-30 year olds? on 21:57 - Apr 19 by ArnoldMoorhen

I'm trying to work out if there is any context in which "art poofs" might be ok...

Nope. There isn't.

[Post edited 27 Apr 7:35]
Free movement for 18-30 year olds? on 22:30 - Apr 19 with 529 viewscressi

Free movement for 18-30 year olds? on 20:52 - Apr 19 by BarcaBlue

I meant people who were not living there before brexit it then became difficult to move there unless u had say half a millon. If you bought a property now for say a 150 thousand after 90 days you would have to come home I'm on about people 55 plus who don't want to work and don't get a state pension just made it more difficult.
Free movement for 18-30 year olds? on 22:34 - Apr 19 with 524 viewsbazza

Free movement for 18-30 year olds? on 19:17 - Apr 19 by noggin

That makes absolutely no sense.

😂
Free movement for 18-30 year olds? on 22:41 - Apr 19 with 516 viewstcblue

Free movement for 18-30 year olds? on 09:28 - Apr 19 by ElderGrizzly

This is the problem, freedom of movement isn't just a free for all as spun by Farage and his ilk.

There are still 'checks', as there are when we used to be able to go to the EU 'freely'.

Moreover, there was better information sharing on matters of security, including police records.

It wasn't so much shooting in our foot as much gleefully stepping on a landmine
Free movement for 18-30 year olds? on 22:42 - Apr 19 with 495 viewstcblue

Free movement for 18-30 year olds? on 22:30 - Apr 19 by cressi

I meant people who were not living there before brexit it then became difficult to move there unless u had say half a millon. If you bought a property now for say a 150 thousand after 90 days you would have to come home I'm on about people 55 plus who don't want to work and don't get a state pension just made it more difficult.

The golden visa is getting rescinded now too. Another smart move by Spain IMO
Free movement for 18-30 year olds? on 13:00 - Apr 20 with 357 viewsJonBlue

According to this article from the Guardian the Tories and Labour have already rejected the idea. The expert they quote says the EU made the offer because it is afraid of Britain doing bilateral deals with countries like the Netherlands.

[Post edited 20 Apr 16:43]
Free movement for 18-30 year olds? on 09:51 - Apr 21 with 236 viewsDJR

Free movement for 18-30 year olds? on 22:30 - Apr 19 by cressi

But that was the fault of the British for voting for Brexit, and you can't expect the Spanish to allow our citizens unlimited access when their citizens don't have corresponding rights.

As it is, the houses now not being bought by Brits are happily being snapped up by wealthier Germans, Swedes and Norwegians on the urbanisation which I have knowledge of. And this week's Costa Blanca News reports a record number of foreigners working in Spain, many in "high value professions", so it doesn't look like Brexit has adversely affected Spain.

Finally, as many of the Brits living in Spain are elderly, and in my experience don't necessarily spend much, it may well be that they are more of a drain on the Spanish economy in the sense of making a lot of use of their health service.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024