Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So this St George fella 08:32 - Apr 23 with 3630 viewsbluelagos

Given that he is from Turkey, had a Palestinian mum and never set foot in England, how did he come to be our national saint?

And a happy St George's day to all those posters who celebrate it.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

So this St George fella on 10:04 - Apr 23 with 746 viewsTheSweeny

BINGO!
So this St George fella on 10:11 - Apr 23 with 719 viewsjaykay

So this St George fella on 09:36 - Apr 23 by Leaky

Take it he wasn't married then

he was , to mildred

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

So this St George fella on 10:17 - Apr 23 with 705 viewsChurchman

So this St George fella on 09:59 - Apr 23 by GeoffSentence

Early example of a deepfake.

Improvements have been made, in later versions the maid is not a minger.

Well, the maid certainly looks a bit of a misery in that image. One look at her, and Georgie boy would have given mr dragon a swerve and headed off to Nandos.

I hadn’t realised George was only transferred in as England's patron saint in the 14th century (presumably the January transfer window) by Edward III. George is also patron saint of Portugal, Ethiopia, Georgia, Catalonia and Malta. Gets around a bit, though a bit easier these days with EasyJet and Eurostar.

That lance would definitely have to go in the hold and I guess he’d have to buy a second ticket for the horse. How the heck he got Neddy in the photo booth for its passport photo, god only knows.
So this St George fella on 10:23 - Apr 23 with 698 viewsGuthrum

So this St George fella on 09:55 - Apr 23 by Churchman

Given how it all ended for Richard II (reputed to have been starved to death after being kicked out by Henry IV), he should have chosen some better saints!

I think you should change your user name to Aethelstan by the way, unless you are a pagan 😃.

That's one of the reasons I like that piece of art. It was created only a year or two before things fell apart. An expression of "people are abandoning me, but at least I still have my saints". Self-comforting propaganda which didn't work.

I'm possibly very distantly related to Richard II, too (through one of his grandmothers).

Less paperwork to keep the original name!

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

So this St George fella on 10:27 - Apr 23 with 682 viewsKeno

So this St George fella on 10:23 - Apr 23 by Guthrum

That's one of the reasons I like that piece of art. It was created only a year or two before things fell apart. An expression of "people are abandoning me, but at least I still have my saints". Self-comforting propaganda which didn't work.

I'm possibly very distantly related to Richard II, too (through one of his grandmothers).

I had a hunch one of the Richards was involved in this

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

So this St George fella on 10:30 - Apr 23 with 663 viewsChurchman

So this St George fella on 10:23 - Apr 23 by Guthrum

Guthrum didn’t think so - after it all went pear shaped at the battle of Edington (Ethandun).

That’s some family history/family tree! How interesting
So this St George fella on 10:31 - Apr 23 with 668 viewsbluelagos

So this St George fella on 09:39 - Apr 23 by Guthrum

The concept of all countries having a single "patron saint" is more modern than that, too. People and countries often had several, covering different "areas of expertise" - i.e. the things which prayers invoking those saints were supposed to be particularly effective in dealing with.

Witness the Wilton Diptych, featuring Richard II and his three favourite saints, Edmund, Edward the Confessor and John the Baptist:

Going to proper show my ignorance here - do non Christian countries have a similar thing? And countries like Australia that would struggle to lay claim to a medieval Christian saint?

So this St George fella on 10:34 - Apr 23 with 658 viewsbazza

So this St George fella on 09:49 - Apr 23 by Keno

we had a bad tempered cat once

you to hiss if you went near it and was a nightmare to get into a basket to take to the Vet

Maybe it thought you might put it in the washing machine or hang it on the line..
Login to get fewer ads

So this St George fella on 10:34 - Apr 23 with 657 viewsGuthrum

So this St George fella on 10:30 - Apr 23 by Churchman

Guthrum didn’t think so - after it all went pear shaped at the battle of Edington (Ethandun).

That’s some family history/family tree! How interesting

I once spent the night sleeping on the (possible) battlefield of Edington, during a cycling trip. The genealogical link is't confirmed, just a possible (and family tradition) at this stage.

So this St George fella on 10:36 - Apr 23 with 641 viewsWeWereZombies

So this St George fella on 10:31 - Apr 23 by bluelagos

Going to proper show my ignorance here - do non Christian countries have a similar thing? And countries like Australia that would struggle to lay claim to a medieval Christian saint?

St Crocodile Dundee ?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

So this St George fella on 10:37 - Apr 23 with 640 viewsKeno

Aussie have Saint Bruce and Saint Sheila

patrons saints of Bbq's, crap lager and being bad losers at sport

So this St George fella on 10:40 - Apr 23 with 636 viewssolemio

I'm not quite sure why we need a patron saint, but if we're going to have one then it should be St Alban, the first English martyr who gave his own life to save that of a Roman called Amphibalus. Amphibalus was going to be killed by the Romans for becoming a Christian.
Alban put on Amphib's clothes and the thicko Romans executed him instead.

Alban was born and martyred in this country at Verulamium - modern St Albans.
So this St George fella on 10:45 - Apr 23 with 613 viewsChurchman

So this St George fella on 10:34 - Apr 23 by Guthrum

I once spent the night sleeping on the (possible) battlefield of Edington, during a cycling trip. The genealogical link is't confirmed, just a possible (and family tradition) at this stage.

The site of the battle isn’t known for certain, as is often the case.

I hope you can ‘prove’ the genealogical link. It’d be nice to have a bit of class on this forum!
So this St George fella on 10:47 - Apr 23 with 614 viewsGuthrum

It's something which developed in (European) High/Late Medieval Christianity, continuing on in the Catholic tradition after the Reformation. Other faiths, while they may venerate holy individuals, don't have that same concept of praying through them.

The closest analogues are probably Hinduism and Roman paganism, with their multiplicity of minor and household deities (some of whom had been human or partially so in the mythos) who could be prayed to for specific concerns and protections.

Places like Australia have adopted patron saints, but that's less an organic process than authorities (particularly Catholic church ones) making a conscious (theological) decision it ought to be done.

So this St George fella on 10:47 - Apr 23 with 609 viewsTractorBell

He is also the patron Saint of Moscow
Pictures of him slaying the dragon on all the busses.
So this St George fella on 10:50 - Apr 23 with 598 viewsWeWereZombies

So this St George fella on 10:47 - Apr 23 by TractorBell

He is also the patron Saint of Moscow
Pictures of him slaying the dragon on all the busses.

You would have thought that they would have figured out a way to keep the dragons off the buses by now...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

So this St George fella on 10:51 - Apr 23 with 596 viewsRadlett_blue

Saints are canonised by the Pope, so it's a Catholic Church thing.
The Aussies played it safe & went for the Blessed Virgin Mary.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

So this St George fella on 10:58 - Apr 23 with 568 viewsKeno

So this St George fella on 10:40 - Apr 23 by solemio

I'm not quite sure why we need a patron saint, but if we're going to have one then it should be St Alban, the first English martyr who gave his own life to save that of a Roman called Amphibalus. Amphibalus was going to be killed by the Romans for becoming a Christian.
Alban put on Amphib's clothes and the thicko Romans executed him instead.

Alban was born and martyred in this country at Verulamium - modern St Albans.

In fairness he was quite good in Blur as well

So this St George fella on 10:58 - Apr 23 with 555 viewsChurchman

So this St George fella on 10:50 - Apr 23 by WeWereZombies

You would have thought that they would have figured out a way to keep the dragons off the buses by now...

I’d have thought they’d be quite useful. No need for batteries or diesel to power them. Just hook up your dragon and away you go. Not so good for the lycra mob pedalling behind it, of course.
So this St George fella on 11:45 - Apr 23 with 503 viewssolemio

So this St George fella on 10:58 - Apr 23 by Keno

In fairness he was quite good in Blur as well

You hereby receive a ban on keeping your hay in a barn.
So this St George fella on 11:47 - Apr 23 with 492 viewsSwansea_Blue

So this St George fella on 09:29 - Apr 23 by Churchman

Edmund didn’t do a lot though, did he. Did he slay a dragon or anything like that? Nope, just got his butt kicked by the Vikings. Nobody actually knows if he was killed by the pointy hat brigade or fell off a ladder.

We can do better!

And I bet Baldric was behind most of his cunning plans anyway

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

So this St George fella on 12:22 - Apr 23 with 450 viewsleitrimblue

Surely there has to be a better way of Celebrating St George's day then just saying happy St George's day?
I suggest if it's not gonna be made into a national holiday then the very least everyone should do is throw a sicky and go on a all day drinking bender Paddy's day style.
At the very least people may look forward to it next year
So this St George fella on 12:30 - Apr 23 with 423 viewsKeno

So this St George fella on 12:22 - Apr 23 by leitrimblue

Surely there has to be a better way of Celebrating St George's day then just saying happy St George's day?
I suggest if it's not gonna be made into a national holiday then the very least everyone should do is throw a sicky and go on a all day drinking bender Paddy's day style.
At the very least people may look forward to it next year

Maybe if just goes to show there is more reason to celebrate being Irish than English?

So this St George fella on 12:38 - Apr 23 with 405 viewsbluelagos

So this St George fella on 12:30 - Apr 23 by Keno

Maybe if just goes to show there is more reason to celebrate being Irish than English?

As an aside - did you know St Patrick is the patron saint of Nigeria too?

So this St George fella on 12:42 - Apr 23 with 402 viewsleitrimblue

So this St George fella on 12:30 - Apr 23 by Keno

Not for me to say Ken .
Though I do think we could embrace that competitive spirit.
We could turn these days into saints days competitive drinking celebrations.
Like a Cheltenham Gold Cup for ritualised binge drinking
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024